Price shopping- WOW

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I did some price shopping a couple of days ago. The results (below) were all over the place. The part I checked is a stock oil pump screen/pickup for a 1975 360 .
Auto Zone Melling #72-2 $16.00
Orielly " 21.00
Advance Auto " 23.00
Napa Sealed Power #2241166 33.00

Summit Melling #72-2 26.00 + $10.00
Rock Auto Sealed Pwr #2241166 17.00 + $ 6.14

As you can see, a huge spread. The item is not in stock in the Denver, CO area so shipping time for all will be about the same. I also am in no big rush to get it. Some will say that shipping from places like Summit and Jegs will be lower per item when you buy more. While this may be true to a point, the above is the cost to get one item in my hand. Very surprised at the spread for the same part in Denver!

Yeah, parts can be like that.

If there are other items you need/want Summit will ship free for orders over 99 bucks.

Heck, Autozone, OReily's or Advance shouldn't charge shipping if you let them bring it in on their next order?

Our Autozone requires prepayment on special orders while Oreilly's will order it in without prepayment and price match Autozone so I use Oreilly's.

Just a word of caution, Most sellers of "special order parts" will not accept returns. But, I understand that the policy on returns is set by the store, not the parent company.

You might want to check with the store for their particular policy on returns.
Also, some store have a "restocking fee" that can be up to 30% of the cost of the part on special order items. Check for that, too before ordering.

In many cases, if you simply check with another store in town (even from the same company) you'll find that their return policies on special order products vary greatly.

Just something to be mindful of.

Cleanin up the old one costs nuthin.

Not just with car parts. I did a cold water valve this weekend in the kitchen. The mom and pop hardware local was 4 dollars cheaper than the Lowes 14 miles away. I prefer to shop the local store for that reason. I guess being Lowes closed the competition near them they can now charge what they want.

I got mine at autozone here in the springs for around $17 and some change. Had it to me the next day.
However, I cut it up to make one out of two that would work with my oil pan. lol

As far as the pump screen goes, I could clean the old one in the donor engine all day. After that I would still worry a little there be a piece of crap ready to break loose and trash the new engine. For $17.00 Big piece of mind. From what each of you have added, we know a few minutes of shopping around can be very worth while.
Thanks,
Mike

P.S. You might feel old when you so many pills in the morning that you are too full to eat breakfast.

-
Back