Problems Sealing Edelbrock Intake

-

weldedrail

Reaction score
Anybody ever have trouble sealing an Edelbrock Performer Intake? I used the Fel-Pro gaskets that came in my full gasket set minus the cork end gaskets account the directions say to use a thick bead of RTV on the ends instead of the cork gaskets as well as removing the locating pins. I did this and used RV and now I have a coolant leak from more than one area along the intake. I have ordered the Edelbrock brand intake gaskets to see if it helps the situation. The heads are stock Iron and no maching has been done to the heads or intake.

I had the same problem was it the metal gaskets ya they suck I ordered a set of fel pro gaskets from summit and I used both cork gaskets and it worked out great

These were metal Fel-Pros, never had a problem with Fel-Pro gaskets before. I will try the Eddy ones and see what happens.

I use Fel-Pro printoseal gaskets. Part#1213
They also block the heat crossover for the intake.
Cooler intake,fuel, and carb.
Make sure you give a healthy dose of RTV on the ends.
Also use a little RTV on both sides of the gasket for the water jackets.

Attachments

• Picture 271.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 227
I use Fel-Pro printoseal gaskets. Part#1213
They also block the heat crossover for the intake.
Cooler intake,fuel, and carb.
Make sure you give a healthy dose of RTV on the ends.
Also use a little RTV on both sides of the gasket for the water jackets.
use a thin piece of sheet metal over the crossover my printo's burned through in a couple thousand miles.

You need to put a thin layer of silicone around the water ports on the head. Then place the intake gaskets on the heads and put another thin layer of silicone around the water ports on the gaskets themselves. Also coat the intake bolts with silicone to keep oil from migrating up through the threads and pooling up on the intake. Problem solved.

ya thanks johny dart for the pic those are the gaskets i got from summitracing work really good

The metal gaskets are meant for stock iron intakes. You use the ones like in the pic for aluminum or iron intakes. Even some of the factory style MLS ones don't work too often with aluminum intakes.

The Fed Ex truck showed up around 3 with my new gaskets from Summit, (pretty good less than 24 hours after order placed with standard ground shipping). Tore it down this afternoon and put it all back together before dinner. Hopefully problem solved.

Good Thread!!! I have an Edelbrock aluminum on my 74 Dodge 360, and have sealant leaks everywhere. The people who built my 360 are Chevy lovers.

Going back to my cast iron intake. Sorry for the hijack.

Great thread

Have an airgap intake and noticed anti freeze in the valley, was thinking maybe the threads on the bolts didn't get sealant when installed. Then got to thin king that I have a problem with it smoking when it idles much and now I'm thinking the problem might be the intake gaskets.

So going to change the water pump (another story) and while it is down go ahead and change the intake gaskets and seal the threads in intake bolts

I know I could look it up, but sounds like we have several here that can answer my question without having to look it up. The front and rear intake bolts are the ones needing sealant? or are there others that go into the water jacket on iron J heads?

-
Back