Producing Mopar "Direct Connection" Wings

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Hi guys, as you all know a member by the name of Kegan was trying to reproduce the Direct Connection wing, but was unable to do so because his molds came out unsatisfactory to his liking. I am opening this thread because I recently came into the possession of both types of wings. I have the one without the mounting holes on the outside and the one with the holes on the outside. However, the one with the holes on the outside is not the original ABS, so it is a "MAS" one that they use to sell. I was trying to see what the interest would be if I was able to get these produced. I have a neighbor that makes surf boards, so he handles fiberglass daily and also knows a lot of people. I am trying to get a quote to make the mold and then produce these. The question is how many would be willing to purchase these? I wanted to make one of each first so people would see the quality as I would also. Also these are the ribbed style in the middle of the wings, so take that as you will. The price is undetermined until I can find out how much everything will cost. Also production would be based off how many want them. I know that there is someone on ebay that makes the bolt from underneath style for 125 plus shipping. The quality of his are not great as I had one in my possession. The other issue is shipping. The shipping of these is a bit expensive for the length that it is. I believe from Louisiana I paid 80 dollars for shipping. So I need to figure out everything from Price to make, price to sell at and if the market wants these. So Let me know guys

They would look like this... If no one wants them I'm going to just sell them on Ebay. They will be made of fiberglass. One or two of each will be sold at first to judge quality responses etc

Attachments

• index1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 484
  • index.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 469
If you make them i hope you do a better job making them than MAS did.
I bought one from them that is bolted through the outside and it's total junk, i emailed them about it being so bad but never got a response.

I bought one from them that is bolted through the outside and it's total junk, i emailed them about it being so bad but never got a response.

What's wrong with it? Maybe I can try to improve on it

................I will take 1...so then this would just need light sanding and paint to our colors?......kim..........

If I can ever find another Duster that's not a rust bucket or $7K+, I'd be interested.

I had an original DC outside bolt, ridge style one on my purple 73 360 powered car.

If you could keep the total cost (including that horrendous shipping) under $250, I bet they'd move.

put me in for at least 3 wen I get the money for them....and Im sure if you make them you wont have any trouble selling them..and you should look in to making the front ones and sell as a package.and I will defene like the front one???????.......Artie

................I will take 1...so then this would just need light sanding and paint to our colors?......kim..........

The way mine sit right now. They are in a gel coat from when I purchased so they would need light sand primer and paint yes. Of course there is always some little work that might need to be done but I will be doing quality control on all items that go out. I just need to see how fitment is and etc. If I work with a company to mold them then they would be responsible for the errors.

put me in for at least 3 wen I get the money for them....and Im sure if you make them you wont have any trouble selling them..and you should look in to making the front ones and sell as a package.and I will defene like the front one???????.......Artie

One thing at a time! But I do have a front one that could be molded also.

That is the goal. To put a product out there that everyone loves. This is why a limited amount will be sold at first for trial fitting and etc feedback.

If I can ever find another Duster that's not a rust bucket or $7K+, I'd be interested.

I had an original DC outside bolt, ridge style one on my purple 73 360 powered car.

If you could keep the total cost (including that horrendous shipping) under $250, I bet they'd move.

The price is the main part. I will see what I can do on that end. It will all depend on how much they charge me to make a certain amount etc. I don't want to make 20 (10 each) and sell them and everyone wants their money back because that would be a little too much for me to handle. I want to get this done right.

make them your self your biggest expense will be a chop gun which you can buy used.you more then likely have everything else..sounds like you know how to make the molds if not I can tell you very easy I went to school at the corvette plant in baltimore when they built them there in the late 60s early 70s and learnt all that stuff..and if you get your own gun then you can make me sum glass fenders hell why not a whole body!!just saying you could make more money than you ever had doing it and that's what its all about!!! hell maybe I could get a % of it too lol haha just kidding!....Artie

then you could sell them for pennes on the dollor!!

make them your self your biggest expense will be a chop gun which you can buy used.you more then likely have everything else..sounds like you know how to make the molds if not I can tell you very easy I went to school at the corvette plant in baltimore when they built them there in the late 60s early 70s and learnt all that stuff..and if you get your own gun then you can make me sum glass fenders hell why not a whole body!!just saying you could make more money than you ever had doing it and that's what its all about!!! hell maybe I could get a % of it too lol haha just kidding!....Artie

then you could sell them for pennes on the dollor!!

Haha We will see. I barely have time right now for my car. Having the neighbor help at first to get started is the best I know how. I just need a mold of each and then we can go from there.

Haha We will see. I barely have time right now for my car. Having the neighbor help at first to get started is the best I know how. I just need a mold of each and then we can go from there.
It would be a good business to get into............

Well the idea was nice, but it doesn't look I will be able to do this. The neighbor wants 300 to make a mold. And the time it will take me to make the mold myself and produce one with good quality will cost me more than I will make. If anyone else has an idea please let me know.

The mold will always be the biggest expense. After the first couple of wings sell, you will be in the green ! Unless it cost you $300 to make each wing, then forget it !

$300 doesn't seem like much to make a mold, assuming it's one that produces good products. I can't imagine it costing less than that. I'd go for it. You can probably sell a few here and there over time too, for a little extra money coming in.

.................I think 300.00 is a pretty fair price for a mold, considering how many u can make from it and the cost of making them should be decent also..........kim.....

At the time no. The neighbor needs to get mine in better condition first. The shop wanted 3k for a mold and he said 300. I need to figure out my car first before I have time to do this. If it's 300 to do a mold IDK how much he will charge to make them. And if I am to make them myself, my car needs to be finished first. SO this is on hold until car is done in a couple months.

-
Back