Project Plain Jane

-
one more pic! The caliper is ready to go after drying the sand in the oven.

IMG_1489.jpg

I'll be switching gears and going to work on the rotors/spindles until I get some copper clad carbon arc rods.

Im tryin!! I never say die. But Im thinking of renting a propane heater so I can get some stuff stripped from my Dart,like K frame,axle etc. Motor/tranny long gone. I just dont wanna freeze my cahones off,lol!

K so in keeping with the brake repair theme,last night I broke down the master/booster combo and the entire rotor/spindle assembly.

Now I want to get going on these brakes!

master cylinder; I couldnt get the piston out without major force,so in the evaporust it goes. Really helps loosen up rusted stuck stuff.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

Not sure if I can salvage it,but Im gonna try!

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

I pulled the inner seal and both bearings,but left the races in. My KD seal removal tool is so great! I can remove a seal and keep it in good reuseable condition no sweat!

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

I'll get the rotors turned,paint the hubs,clean all the freakin undercoating off the spindle and dust shield. Undercoating sucks but in this case the parts underneath are in great shape!

The bearings turn easily and smoothly,so alll thats needed is a clean and repack.Inner seal survived removal so well I can reuse it!

A few more pics. I blasted the dust shield and spindle today. Had that asphault undercoating crap on it! hate that stuff...

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

Bearings are soaking in the parts washer. The rotor hub still has bearing races in it. Im just gonna leave em in place and tape em off really well while blasting.

First it needs a bath in the parts washer.
IMG_1505.jpg

just caught this. dont know if I'll follow close, but I like your door work on the mopar boom shelter eh. Amazed to see the dash looks so nice while the rest of the car is frigen torn.

I'm curious about the sand, you use it to warm the part even or something, how does this play into the welding? you warm the cast iron before welding?

looks good keep it up, lots of work to do on that car...

Yep this car is damn near destroyed. But I can rescue it. Have the skill/tools and folks keep helping out on the parts end.

The sand is about heat control. The tray will go in the oven at 550 f and the sand will help keep the heat in the part after removing from the oven for welding. Peening the cast while welding helps prevent cracking. Then after welding and peening the cast iron goes back into the oven and heat is very gradually reduced. If it takes 8 hours oh well.

While I am not an awesome welder,I have the advise of my older brother,who is a certified welding inspector. Has every welding ticket known to man and lots of experience! I can pull this off!!

I like that" bomb shelter" lol!! How about missile silo? Dart will be a missile when done....That freaking door took forever to refinish,thanks to the 7 layers of paint on it. But the wood is in remarkably good shape!!

Well I've been looking for a rattle can color that is close to my Darts paint. I was thinking it might be cool to use on some suspension stuff,but this can of Tremclad hammertone isnt close at all. The search goes on...

This pic is a test panel I sprayed and the edge of the drivers door. Not even close.

IMG_1516.jpg

Here is the blasting cabinet I built using scrap components.. Used it yesterday and it works great! The legs are too short,not enough light,sleeves are too tight,other than that it's fantastic! Sure beats sweeping up sand.Plus I recovered almost all the media,and the stuff I didnt get back is still in the cabinet! Also want to double the view window size.

IMG_1507.jpg

Light was easy to solve,my 500 watt halogen lit things up nicely!

IMG_1508.jpg

I recycled a couple of old fridge shelves and use them in the cabinet!

IMG_1509.jpg

Sand simply drains out the bottom.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

This vacuum motor I recycled from a self inflating air matress that had a bad leak. Couldnt find the leak. I use the motor for dust control at the end of blasting. It clears all the dust out in a minute or so.

IMG_0523.jpg

Your determination is inspiring. I like the direction your going with the build. Your use of things laying around to accomplish your goals is awesome. keep the pictures coming, I know I can't what for more update...Kudos..

Thankyou!! I just wish I had enough stuff laying around for a tubing bender and a pressurised blaster. I MIGHT have enough for the blaster. Thanks be that the bender wont be neccessary for a while yet,but I might have to take a break and build the blaster. Using a suction feed blaster literally sucks!! It does get the job done,but there is waaaay more run time on the compressor because of it.

I also seem to have endured the worst winter could throw at me. The weather here is warming up and my body has stopped hurting for the most part. So I feel more capable than I have in a long time,thanks to the dog constantly walking me!! I still get bloody tired,but not near as fast.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. pressure pot??? my co-worker asked me if i wanted his old blaster. it was late last year so i am not sure if he still has it or not. next time i see him i will see.. if he has it i will get it for you.

when are you going to have the car ready to blast? my site is still covered in snow.

Was thinking spring break would be good but now I dont know. Would your sight be useable by then? Maybe waiting for summer holidays would be better?
Could I have the Dart stripped by then? Absolutely..just a matter of a few phone calls and it will be done in a day with the help of 3 or 4 good friends.

Heck if you can find the blaster I can use it right now!!lol.. Those siphon feeds love air...the crushed glass works great though!

I have some glass bead I'd love to use on my con rods,but need the pressure blaster. I have gathered enough materials and have a very good plan purchased off ebay many moons ago. But heck an operating blaster even in need of repairs is a step ahead of the game!

it doesnt need repairs. he says it just easier for me to come by and blast. Its complete with hoses and everything. i think its fairly big from what i remember him telling me .

whenever you want to blast is fine with me. I think we will do walnuts on the body and glass on the rusty stuff. that will save about $12 per bag over soda. 80% chance we can reuse the walnuts too so thats a further saving for you. Your hauling pretty far home with a car in bare metal so it would be nice to stay out of the rainy spring weather too.

I think your right! Lets move blasting to better weather. Summer should be less chance of raining. Would be just my luck to get caught in a downpour on the way home.

If he'll give up the blaster,it's probably just meant for you..

Thanks 64x2. I do already have plans bought on ebay long ago. These plans you posted up are good too. Im saving them and Im sure somebody else here could use them as well.

Not a problem, I like you have to use what others throw away to make tools or solution to the problems I am faced with............
Thanks 64x2. I do already have plans bought on ebay long ago. These plans you posted up are good too. Im saving them and Im sure somebody else here could use them as well.

So we finally got a cheque! I spent a bit on some paint for the dust shield and spindles.Seeing how the VHT was great for the calipers I bought a can of VHT satin black.

results.

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

I also checked out a new master cyl. Was made in china. I hated it.

I ordered in a raybestos pro grade rebuild kit for the original master cyl. I'll take the weight penalty over china junk. Eventually I'd like to use a Dakota manual disc/drum master cyl. Looks pretty much the same as an M body unit but differently valved I guess.

Just read several of your pages,and I thought I was over the top with some of my practices,holy cow ! Blueing bolts,sand in the oven,dang ! lol

Look forward to reading your updates...Your doing great !

You remind me of myself... One mans junk is another mans treasure. I never throw anything away. Love your project keep up the good work and good luck..

Lol all I can say is my wife hasnt fired me from my official position as royal pain in the arse....She's a good woman,puts up with my crap and feeds me too.

At least Im Royalty:colors:

And you guys aint seen nothing yet...stay tuned!

-
Back