Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Well I jumped back on the disassembly of the Duster this weekend. I decided I finally wanted the Volare/Aspen center hump and shifter removed to see what is under it.

Here's me grinding the screws and seam sealer off.
DSC_0369.jpg

I went from this....
DSC_0353.jpg

To this....
DSC_0370.jpg

I then decided to remove the white peice of tin.
DSC_0371.jpg

Yes that is a piece of a My Little Pony lunch pail! LOL

After this was all done I had some more spare time, so I figured I'd empty out the doors.
DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

Finally both doors are ready for blasting.
DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

On Saturday 31OCT2009 I got a call about a motor. I jumped in my truck with my brother in law Jim and purchased that motor.

Here's a small teaser for now....
DSC_0380.jpg

Without further ado.....

2005 5.7L 345CI Hemi. This elephant weighs prolly 600-750lbs. Thank to Jim for the help geting her home.

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

I'm hoping to find a 545RFE or something similar for behind this. I'm going to keep it automatic so my Wife can drive it also.

Riddler

Haven't worked much on the car but I have been buying items.

Here's a factory correct console....

Console.jpg

I've also sourced a set of tail light from a gent in Texas.

DSC_0388.jpg

Last but not least is a complete rear suspension. Gone will be the old leaf spring suspension. This is an RMS Street Lynx kit.

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

That's all for now.

Riddler

Riddler, Are you the guy from neons.org? If so I know this car is gonna look amazing just like your neon. Keep up the great work!

NIce project you have here Riddler. I will have to follow it more closely.

Riddler, Are you the guy from neons.org? If so I know this car is gonna look amazing just like your neon. Keep up the great work!

Yes I am from neons.org. I'm an admin on that forum. Thanks for the kind words. Lots still do....

Riddler

Thats funny. Remindds me of a car I saw somewhere. Could have been here. The car's name is "the mistress"

Phil

Might have been me, I call my 70 340 swinger "The Mistress" and the 66 Fury is "The Affair." My wife is pretty cool about it cause she got "The Wife" tag lol!

Back on topic nice progress on the duster Riddler. I'm jealous.

My son Cody and I are currently restomodding a 73 Duster. We will be following along and I may have questions for you in the future. Heck, you may have questions for me.
We will be going back with the Slant 6. It will be heavily modified and will be producing close to 300 HP. We thought about going with a crate but learned about the slants' possibilities and just thought it would be fun.

Andy

Nice work there. Looks similar to what I am doing.

BTW, do you need the 4speed add on hump? I have an OEM that I cut out of a 340 car.

Nope my plans as of right now are calling for a 545rfe 5 speed automatic. I think I'd like to keep it auto for cruising and my wife can drive me home after I drink too much some nights....lol

Car is getting blasted and primed soon, then into metal work. Good news is I have a video camera now to take video!

As for a name...I've been calling her Project Eh-Body. Being Canadian is makes sense!

Riddler

Nice to see you making progress Joe. Never seen anyone wait to pull the engine till last... if you need a picker let me know you can use mine. My project has stalled a little thiis winter busy with customers cars making $$$ for our build. If you need anything you know where I'm at. Keep up the good work. Larry

Well here's the latest update. Not much has happened since the last update due to the fact I up'd and moved on Jan 26 and my wife and I have been working on getting settled. But things have to get moving if I ever want to see this project completed.

First thing was to start making more room for things. So I cleared all the parts out and made room for more dissassembly.

Here'e my 8 3/4" E body rear end with a 489 center section.
DSC_0001.jpg

With my brother in law away I had to recruite the help of my dad. Never had a chance to work with my dad on cars, but man it felt good, talking cars and about missed times...

Here's the 318 he helped my yank out.
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

After this out I could see the full extent of the k frame and steering box. The steering box must weigh a metric ton. Looks big and heavy!
DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

After this was done I set up the rotisserie. I still need to get the car higher in the air and bolt it onto the rotisserie, but it's set-up and ready to go.
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Well until the next update....

Riddler

Nice to see you making progress Joe. Never seen anyone wait to pull the engine till last... if you need a picker let me know you can use mine. My project has stalled a little thiis winter busy with customers cars making $$$ for our build. If you need anything you know where I'm at. Keep up the good work. Larry

Thanks,

ALso let me know if there is anything your looking for. Most of the old parts I'm not going to be using and if you want them I'll cut you a deal.

Riddler

You realize you picked the widest car rearend to put in your Duster...I'd sell the housing and axles to an E body nut, which would go a long way towards buying an A body rear, or paying to have another one narrowed. I say this because E body rears are sort of rare, while B, C body or truck housings are pretty common. An E body rear might be worth some decent money to an E body restorer. just a thought!

Looks like you have made pretty good progress on the disassembly, keep up the good work.

Alan

Bag it and tag it, smart man.

Great pics, keep up the good effort....soon to be intimidating mustangs everywhere.

You realize you picked the widest car rearend to put in your Duster...I'd sell the housing and axles to an E body nut, which would go a long way towards buying an A body rear, or paying to have another one narrowed. I say this because E body rears are sort of rare, while B, C body or truck housings are pretty common. An E body rear might be worth some decent money to an E body restorer. just a thought!

Looks like you have made pretty good progress on the disassembly, keep up the good work.

Alan

Meh if an E-body guys wants it there more than welcome to trade me for it. MY plan is to cut her down so if no one steps up to trade, then it goes under the knife!

Heck offer me a trade with another 489 case with some decent gears or suregrip!

Riddler

Without further ado.....

2005 5.7L 345CI Hemi. This elephant weighs prolly 600-750lbs. Thank to Jim for the help geting her home.

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

I'm hoping to find a 545RFE or something similar for behind this. I'm going to keep it automatic so my Wife can drive it also.

Riddler

That is going to be a hot setup for that car man!!!!!!!

Thanks LJS30. THe plan is to convert the motor over to a car motor. I like the way those look better plus I have a plan for the stock engine cover.

Riddler

Well I've been working on Project "Eh" body.

Since the last update of setting up the rotisserie, I've removed all the suspension, body plugs, clips, etc etc. This was done with the help of Keith Zimmer. Truely one of the car gods. Thanks Keith!

Rear suspension
DSC_0142~0.jpg

Front suspension and old brake lines
DSC_0143~0.jpg

So to complete the removal of all the body plugs, clips, etc we got to play whirl the Duster around!
DSC_0139~0.jpg

DSC_0140~0.jpg

DSC_0141~0.jpg

Well since everything was off it and Keith's blasting it for me, we decided to just take the car over there today.
DSC_0147~0.jpg

DSC_0148~0.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

The truck showed up and it's loaded. Nice to see another Mopar hauling my Mopar!
DSC_0152~0.jpg

DSC_0151~0.jpg

When the car come back next week it'll be blasted and epoxy coated. Then I'll start the metal work.

Riddler

-
Back