Proportioning Valve ?

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Can a proportioning valve be flushed out and clean internally?

Yes...and maybe. Are we talking A-body or your Charger?

The A body disc/drum valve can definitly be cleaned. I got enough good parts from 2 valves to assemble one good one. Not that difficult, but a bunch of small parts. If I was doing it again I would probably get a kit to rebuild
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/1970-76-mopar-combo-valve-rebuild

I looked at Green Envy's valve in your builld pics. It is very different from A-body valve body. Looks like very rusted steel? (A's are brass) When I was searching for info to do mine I did not see anything on how to take one of those apart. That could mean they hold up well and no need, or that they are not servicable at all.
Is your system holding fluid? If so, you have a good chance that that valve is OK. If moisture got to it and it rusted inside, I wouldn't count on it cleaning up. I would say if you can take it apart, flush everything with clean fluid and re-assemble. Maybe check the B forums and see if any info on them. If you need one, Inline tube has it for $95, and it says 'brass' but looks like steel. ??

Something else to consider...Are you planning to change the lines? You will probably damage them trying to remove from the valve. If you can get the lowest point of the valve open, that is where most of the gunk will be. Might want to clean that and stop there.

Yes...and maybe. Are we talking A-body or your Charger?

The A body disc/drum valve can definitly be cleaned. I got enough good parts from 2 valves to assemble one good one. Not that difficult, but a bunch of small parts. If I was doing it again I would probably get a kit to rebuild
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/1970-76-mopar-combo-valve-rebuild

I looked at Green Envy's valve in your builld pics. It is very different from A-body valve body. Looks like very rusted steel? (A's are brass) When I was searching for info to do mine I did not see anything on how to take one of those apart. That could mean they hold up well and no need, or that they are not servicable at all.
Is your system holding fluid? If so, you have a good chance that that valve is OK. If moisture got to it and it rusted inside, I wouldn't count on it cleaning up. I would say if you can take it apart, flush everything with clean fluid and re-assemble. Maybe check the B forums and see if any info on them. If you need one, Inline tube has it for $95, and it says 'brass' but looks like steel. ??

Something else to consider...Are you planning to change the lines? You will probably damage them trying to remove from the valve. If you can get the lowest point of the valve open, that is where most of the gunk will be. Might want to clean that and stop there.

Yes it is for my Charger. I also plan on replacing my brake lines with new brake hardware. I may try to convert to 4 wheel disc in the process I am still researching this.

-
Back