Pulley Troubles....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I THOUGHT I had posted a thread about this, but I guess I was dreamin. Anyway, 77 400, 906 heads, 67-74 Alternator brackets like this:

1967-1974 Dodge Challenger Parts | MD2427 | 1967-74 Mopar Big Block W/O AC Alternator Bracket Set | Classic Industries

I've gotten a couple of pulley sets and they've both not worked.....or at least the water pump pulleys have not. The trouble is, they hit the water pump before they bottom out on the water pump flange. Does anybody know what I need? Thank you drive through.

I've always used the March aluminum pulleys top & bottom on a MP water pump with both left & right outlet housings from 440source. March may be a little spendy for some but worth every penny especially when the uppers come with special button head allen screws for pump mounting that allow the clearance needed. You also have the option to change lower pulley to speed up or slow down pump. Never had to add shims or spacers.
If you are looking for factory correct, Good luck.

Here cyclops

20200905_201424.jpg

That ain't cool man. lol Whatchya want fer it?

Oh mr.sensitive now. Lol
Well is it the spacer you need?
I'll make you one man...or measure and find you one. You need it for the shallow fan pulley. No sweat. This one, and the alt bracket i have is for my 471 low deck. Pulled it for 18.00 in 2003

Oh mr.sensitive now. Lol
Well is it the spacer you need?
I'll make you one man. No sweat. This one, and the alt bracket i have is for my 471 low deck. Pulled it for 18.00 in 2003

I don't think so. Bot these pulleys I have hit the water pump WAY before they are on the pump flange. The center hub just BARELY gets into the center hole on the pulleys. I feel certain the pulleys are incorrect.

I don't think so. Bot these pulleys I have hit the water pump WAY before they are on the pump flange. The center hub just BARELY gets into the center hole on the pulleys. I feel certain the pulleys are incorrect.
The fan pulley is 1 1/4 deep , spacer is an 1/8.

One of them is 2 5/8 and the other is 2 7/8.

This will not have P/S

I want some extra grooves because I plan to add A/C. SO I am wanting either a 3 or 4 groove crank pulley, which I have and a 2 grove water pump pulley. Vintage Air has the pulley.......for 125 bucks. My big old butt.

That one's a little harder to find. It's no worry to me though...because I like my race cars to be luxury cruisers as well.

IF the WP pump pulley hits the pump before it seats it is a small block pulley. I'm not sure about the thickness of the harmonic balancer vs. the early forged crank motors, but every thing has to match. I'd also have to look in my manuals, but with AC on earlier big blocks (late 60s/early 70s) the AC belts (two) ran the alternator as well. The WP had its own belt with an idler. I don't have my alternator on the 440 yet, but I do have the WP running with the idler. I just got the AC compressor bolted up today so I may get the alternator in soon and get some belts. Gotta fire it up again...

IF the WP pump pulley hits the pump before it seats it is a small block pulley. I'm not sure about the thickness of the harmonic balancer vs. the early forged crank motors, but every thing has to match. I'd also have to look in my manuals, but with AC on earlier big blocks (late 60s/early 70s) the AC belts (two) ran the alternator as well. The WP had its own belt with an idler. I don't have my alternator on the 440 yet, but I do have the WP running with the idler. I just got the AC compressor bolted up today so I may get the alternator in soon and get some belts. Gotta fire it up again...

Well, here da deal be. I'm setting this up as a non A/C engine, because I am going to add on a Sanden compressor with aftermarket brackets.

I THOUGHT I had posted a thread about this, but I guess I was dreamin. Anyway, 77 400, 906 heads, 67-74 Alternator brackets like this:

1967-1974 Dodge Challenger Parts | MD2427 | 1967-74 Mopar Big Block W/O AC Alternator Bracket Set | Classic Industries

I've gotten a couple of pulley sets and they've both not worked.....or at least the water pump pulleys have not. The trouble is, they hit the water pump before they bottom out on the water pump flange. Does anybody know what I need? Thank you drive through.

lathe for the pulley /not much , spacer plates for everything , grinder to make the bolt heads shorter , or a combination of these if the factory set up cant be found .----------??

Could this pulley recipe be posted when figured out. It's the road I plan on traveling. B engine no power steering and sanden compressor. When using the sanden compressor are the after market brackets for no A/C pulleys?

This is called "pulley hell".

It's best to get all the pulleys, brackets and spacers from the same donor vehicle.

AC and non AC cars got different pulleys and water pumps.

Sometimes each year got different stuff too.

This can/will make your belts not line up as well.

Mixing and matching is NOT fun.

Here's a partial list of what can be affected-

water pump
water pump pulley
fan spacer
crank pulley
alternator bracket
alternator bracket mount spacer
alternator pulley
power steering bracket
power steering pulley (although some can be pressed to adjust)

-
Back