Pulling a 318 and 904 together- advice please!

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
Afternoon folks. "Red" is in the process of a teardown to rolling frame and the time has come to clear out the engine bay to get to everything else that has to come off for the body and paint work.

More pics coming later today of progress, but would like to run this by a few of you: I am contemplating pulling the whole unit out this time, all accessories still hanging. Not too comfortable with the idea of a puller bracket bolted on the aluminum intake and 7/16" carb flange studs handling the load without a chance of deforming the intake or stripping out a flange stud. . .or two. Figure to go the headbolt/chain route with a shackle to control the chain on the hoist. You figure I can clear the car with all the accessories not getting crushed, putting unnecessary dings in the fenderwells and firewall. . .or dragging the tail of the tranny across the concrete? Last two times, I left the tranny in on a homemade bell housing support and jerked all the accessories off before getting up on it.

This is what I am working with: obviously, losing the rad, hoses, a/c lines, distributor and the like first. . .

'67 cuda pict 027.jpg

'67 cuda pict 026.jpg

'67 cuda pict 025.jpg

If you are not draining the fluid from the tranny, get a lid from spray bomb can and tape it to the output shaft using duct tape. Make sure it is on there really good or it will pop off and leak like an SOB. If you are not removing the hood, loosen the back bolts and remove the front two. Then, get a broom handle and prop that sucker up as far as it will go, you'll need the extra clearance to get it high enough to clear the rad support.

Invest in an engine leveler from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, or Pep Boys. It will be ths best $20 you spend...

I pull them as whole units all the time with the chain from head to head, just get good bolts and good chain that wont strech, best to have a helper on the passengers side and you on the drivers to make sure everything clears, I usaully leave the starter and carb on as well

Same here. I pull 'em all bolted togther with all the assc. still on them. I've never had to raise the hood. Just lift a couple pumps, pull back a couple inches, and so on. I usually don't even have someone out there with me (which can be a pain at some times) but never is a big problem.

Awesome idea! Bug bomb top I got- probably better than the top I have in there right now. . .engine leveler I am not familiar with. . .kinda like a spreader bar under the hoist? Think I've seen a picture.

Love the idea of just standing the hood up on the back two bolts. The thing's going to the shop I've picked for the steel work and prep with it in place anyway. . .why take it off and carry separately. Nice idea, thanks.
More pics in a couple of minutes. . .

Mike

I've always had to put the front on jack stands, for the tailshaft to clear the floor.

Yes. You will want one of these or one like it:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LARIN-LEL-1-Larin-Engine-Leveler/dp/B000FAMO22"]Amazon.com: Larin LEL-1 Engine Leveler: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H9XAY6E0L.@@AMEPARAM@@41H9XAY6E0L[/ame]

A few pics of the progress so far. . .with the help of my gearhead daughter I might add. . .and the first is said gearhead. Proud to say she likes getting her hands dirty on one!

'67 cuda pict 012.jpg

red art 1967 style 001.jpg

red art 1967 style 002.jpg

red art 1967 style 003.jpg

red art 1967 style 004.jpg

red art 1967 style 005.jpg

red art 1967 style 006.jpg

If you use the leveller, it makes it more likely you'll have to pull the hood.

I pulled my 318/904 using the carb plate method. I did have to take the crank pulley off (I think), but didn't have to pull the hood. I put the 5.9/904 back in the same way.

reinstalling I just put a jack under the tailshaft to help drop the motor where I want it.

It is tight, but it worked on my dart.

Steve

. . .and, a little redneck art, FABO style! I have been collecting for this. . . my wifey's idea to hang the parts and get them off the floor outa the way. . .and the cattle panel keeps holes out of the walls- just use hooks!

red art 1967 style 008.jpg

If you use the leveller, it makes it more likely you'll have to pull the hood.

I pulled my 318/904 using the carb plate method. I did have to take the crank pulley off (I think), but didn't have to pull the hood. I put the 5.9/904 back in the same way.

reinstalling I just put a jack under the tailshaft to help drop the motor where I want it.

It is tight, but it worked on my dart.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Don't have a problem with pulling the hood if I gotta. . .and was thinking of using a bottle jack or roller on the tailshaft anyway both ways. The carb plate on an aluminum Weiand 2 plane with the extra weight of the tranny made me pause, thinking of the combined weights pulling on aluminum threaded studs was all. . .glad it works as I have a homemade one from the last time.

Well, if it falls on you it ain't my fault! LOL

I use ARP studs in my intake FWIW, but I don't know how much difference that makes.

I've gotten away with it a lot of times.

This is from yahoo images. The body goes to a good shop the first week in April for 2 front floor pans, a spare tire pan, frame ties, media blast and steel straightening, then prep and paint. I am going for a Formula S+ clone- but will not badge it that way as it is not. . .

. . .but, it will be wearing just about all the parts off one I was given back in the early 80's. . .

. . .see the wall art? Those quarters were literally sawed OFF a Formula S parts car. See, I had a perfectly good Premium model that could use the parts to upgrade it. . . so, why goof around trying to resurrect the dead one? If I had only known what the future held, I would have stored the whole darned thing!

As it is, "Red" already has most of it's performance goodies already under there.

What a crazy world :)

1st color option for Red.jpg

Also to help break it free from the engine mounts, jack the front of the car up about 6-8" once the engine is attached to the lift the and then drop the jack. This will pop it right off the engine mounts.

Make sure to unhook the throttle cable.:read2: Don't ask me how I know. :-D

Also to help break it free from the engine mounts, jack the front of the car up about 6-8" once the engine is attached to the lift the and then drop the jack. This will pop it right off the engine mounts.

Make sure to unhook the throttle cable.:read2: Don't ask me how I know. :-D
Yeah, bet that jerked it left a bit. . .:-D Thanks!

What year is that Barracuda? Its in good shape!

She is a '67- no marker lights and "Plymouth" spelled out across the front. (Got to love those "cudas")
Thanks for being so kind about her current state. 8) "Red" has 314K miles on her so far. She has been in the family all her life.

Thanks for being so kind about her current state. [/QUOTE said:
lol everyones always kind of other people's cars on here, but yours is just paint peeling of the looks of it, around where I come from that would be something that would be in a carshow the way it is8)

I know that you are well into this already, but, why not drop it out from underneath? You could then use a set of dolly wheels to roll it around at the body shop...
Reason I am asking is that I am (soon I hope) to install an engine tranny in my Duster and am considering this.
C
BTW, pretty daughter too! When I completed my first restore with my son, I gave him the car...

I was going to ask why not drop it from the bottom. I have some pics of me dropping one if your interested.

I know that you are well into this already, but, why not drop it out from underneath? You could then use a set of dolly wheels to roll it around at the body shop...
Reason I am asking is that I am (soon I hope) to install an engine tranny in my Duster and am considering this.
C
BTW, pretty daughter too! When I completed my first restore with my son, I gave him the car...
Thanks kindly for the compliment about the daughter! She is a proud owner (sorta- guess who is paying for/upgrading it. . .;-)) of a '67 slant 6 'vert and learning how to use tools properly, check fluids and change oil, etc. I think she will be responsible enough to drive it (some) to school, etc.

As to the drop from the bottom thing, did indeed think about it- just doing the rework in the garage with jack stands that only go to about 18" or so. . .plenty of outside to work when clear, but no dollys or additional equipment. The underside has already been dropped and upgraded with PST poly everywhere about 15 years ago and I am loath to tear it up again too.

Deal to save money is, I tear it down to a rolling chassis, trailer it to the guy so he can do his thing for me- and in the meantime I straighten, clean, paint and polish all the brightwork I have and have scrounged. It will be a "restify" rather than a restore. I have lived in this thing since it was bought and figure to improve where it is weakest: for example, "68 stainless steel window trim in place of the plastic chrome surrounds. . .that stuff shrank about 5 years into its life and was "replaced" with other materials as this (then) teenager could find and make work. You know the drill- Southern Engineering. You oughta see how I solved the belt pattern on the front of the motor(s) so it has 2 idlers on it for belt tensioning on a pattern that came from a power steering car many junkyards ago.

This darling is the only car I have owned that never let me down on the road- and the build will emphasize improvements for usage on the road. These things need to be driven to stay in shape- and I may well get rid of my newer junk in favor of daily driving this one. . .if I can relieve the niggling fear that someone might take a fancy to it and take it. Got some ideas for "improvements" on that score as well. . .

Will send pics as I proceed- and thanks to all that have given me good advice and opportunities to network/ socialize on here! FABO people are my kind of folk!

Mike

'67 cuda convert. 2009 005.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 013.jpg

-
Back