Pulling/sealing engine

-

Elvis'dart

Reaction score
thank you in advance for responses

74 dart 225 automatic and air

Had sat for a while

I had to pull my head off, broken manifold stud, so I thought I might as well pull the engine and go through it since it is only a few more bolts. Needs motor mounts too.

Got a fel pro engine gasket kit and a shop manual and will dig into it in a week or two. Have thick, cannot remember name, manifold gasket.

Machine shop said head did not need milled. Block seems true.

I plan on putting it on a stand a replacing all of the gaskets and seals and reassembling it on the stand and easing it back in. Will make those underneath manifold bolts much easier.....

Replacing all seals, including valve seals, and all of the gaskets. Only has 50k, so should not need too much internal help. Ran well, just had a blown manifold gasket. No smoke.

Any particular trouble spots or words of wisdom to make sure everything gets sealed up? Particularly head gasket wisdom. Any other maintenance while it is out and on a stand?

All advice is appreciated and you are not going to insult my intelligence

Thanks

Good time to look at all the bearings and do a re ring and a oil pump. Maybe $150

Freeze out plugs they are old! And when they are out hose out the water jackets you will be surprised what is in there.

Last edited:
As above, I would check all the bearings. Being that old, they could have deteriorated from acids in the oil. I'd inspect the oil pump and measure to specs, and if good, keep it. Inspect the oil pump drive gear and the matching gear on the cam for any signs of wear; if any, shows up, then a new one is warranted. That gear is a weak point. Clean out the pressure relief valve in the oil pump.

Rings are another matter.... the front bore on inlines tend to wear faster so you might get into a rebore it you go at that seriously. If the bores are clean, I would leave it alone.

And yes on the water jacket cleanup and freeze plugs.

While the head is at the shop, have it milled .060" The new head gasket will be thicker than the original and that will cost you some compression, which is low on these anyway, and the .060" mill will add a bit or torque.

Absolutely replace the timing chain; they wear badly.

Make sure the exhaust manifold flange to the head is flat. It might take some work with a belt sander to get good and flat.

-
Back