Pulling the inner valve spring at cam break in?

-

Dartfan71

Reaction score
I know most cam manufaturers recommend pulling the inner valve spring at cam break in on a hydraulic flat tappet cam (Depending on the cam and spring pressures). How many of you actually pull the inner spring at cam break in? Just curious?

u just put the engine together with outters then install inners after break in

Yeah I know that. I just had a friend tell me that he never pulls the inner spring and he has never had an issue. Seems to risky to me.

Well, you aren't telling us which springs you are using.

Some people confuse springs with damper springs as double springs.

I think it depends how much spring pressure you are running. Maybe on a mild cam you might be able to get away without pulling the inner springs as long as you know the lifters are rotating before you start it up. No one used to do this kind of stuff but the whole zinc in the oil thing has made it kind of necessary.

I'd pull the inner springs though, why risk flattening a cam on a brand new engine? it's not a huge deal, just labor intensive. Get a decent on-head spring compressor like the one from Comp.

Just don't drop the valve into the cylinder while changing the springs. There is an adapter tool to put into the spark plug hole which feeds compressed air into the cylinder to hold the valve up. Or, you can feed some nylon rope into the hole.

Do it. Less time and trouble than pulling, and rebuilding the motor if the cam does wipe.

Agreed on both of the above, but we still don't know which springs. When I broke my cam in, a couple of people told me I had to pull the damper spring, confusing it for an inner spring.

Comp said no.

What cam, what spring?

Unless he deleted it out in the edit i dont see where he said he was even doing it. Seems like it might have been more of a "hey my buddy said this" question just looking for opinions.

but i could be wrong lol

good gravy we beat this one to death about three pages back in my thread called "the big day is coming soon".

Yes we did "beat it to death", but I got news for you. Your engine is not out of the woods yet. I wish you the best of luck jpar, but you could still have a failure.

I would never recommend someone NOT have the inner spring removed for break in with dual valve springs.......even though as I said in the other thread I have done it myself in the past. Zinc in oil was not a problem back then.

The biggest thing is if you are just BOUND to do it with both springs installed, don't let the engine drop below about 3K RPM. That way plenty of splash lubrication will be happening and you will be much less likely to do damage.

Just because you got through break in does not necessarily mean you will not incur damage from not leaving the inner springs out. Only time will answer that. It is still best to leave the inner springs out. Whether you do or not is up to you and a risk you take and are responsible for 100%.

Yes we did "beat it to death", but I got news for you. Your engine is not out of the woods yet. I wish you the best of luck jpar, but you could still have a failure.

I would never recommend someone NOT have the inner spring removed for break in with dual valve springs.......even though as I said in the other thread I have done it myself in the past. Zinc in oil was not a problem back then.

The biggest thing is if you are just BOUND to do it with both springs installed, don't let the engine drop below about 3K RPM. That way plenty of splash lubrication will be happening and you will be much less likely to do damage.

Just because you got through break in does not necessarily mean you will not incur damage from not leaving the inner springs out. Only time will answer that. It is still best to leave the inner springs out. Whether you do or not is up to you and a risk you take and are responsible for 100%.
first, I did not make a recommendation to not take the springs out. I actually would recommend it if he has the time, inclination and all that stuff.
second, I never feel I'll be "out of the woods" as far as the motor goes given the way I plan to drive it.
third, (and this is the big third)- I've also read online (Bonjour - I'm a supermodel) where a guy because of the high RPM's for break in lost a retainer (because of low spring pressure/high lift cam) and had a car suffer catastrophic failure! so there could actually be arguments for not doing it, but again I recommend doing it I guess because everyone says you should and I wouldn't want to steer somebody the wrong way either way. I would use the most expensive breaking the oil you could find with zinc .

Ok so the cam is Howards hydraulic flat tapped grind .531 @ 277 & .547 @ 283. Springs were spec'd out by the builder. Can't remember spring pressure off hand, but I know they are thinner valve stems withe two springs and a damper. So I pull the inner spring only or the inner spring and damper at cam break in?

Attachments

• 1426459673786.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 436
first, I did not make a recommendation to not take the springs out. I actually would recommend it if he has the time, inclination and all that stuff.
second, I never feel I'll be "out of the woods" as far as the motor goes given the way I plan to drive it.
third, (and this is the big third)- I've also read online (Bonjour - I'm a supermodel) where a guy because of the high RPM's for break in lost a retainer (because of low spring pressure/high lift cam) and had a car suffer catastrophic failure! so there could actually be arguments for not doing it, but again I recommend doing it I guess because everyone says you should and I wouldn't want to steer somebody the wrong way either way. I would use the most expensive breaking the oil you could find with zinc .

Easy boy. I never said you did anything. I simply said what "I" would not advise doing.

It's not "everyone" that says it, the cam manufacturers recommend doing it.
come on now you know manufacture say things to cover their butts. the manufacture of my cam said 350 pound Springs closed was borderline a little more and for sure he would pull the strings and a little less probably not. but to cover his *** he recommended that I did and I didn't. and one more time as a disclosure I don't recommend anybody to do what I did. I prefer to be the only fool.

Reading comprehension is FUN-D-MENTAL

Please stop with the my daddies bigger than yours crap. A little humility does everyone some good!

Think REAL hard before you hit the "submit reply" button. :)

Carry on!

Reading comprehension is FUN-D-MENTAL

Please stop with the my daddies bigger than yours crap. A little humility does everyone some good!

Think REAL hard before you hit the "submit reply" button. :)

Carry on!
Anyways, if your looking for humility let me reference you to the last sentence of post #17. As far as my dad, I'm just thankful he's alive, happy, and healthy. He's kind of old and frail, not bigger than anyone I know.
as far as hitting the reply button - I'll do it anytime I damn well ......

Yep, just as I expected. Another I don't need to be concerned with.

LOL I guess next time I will use that search button before I ask a question. :D

LOL I guess next time I will use that search button before I ask a question. :D[/QUOT
your doing fine , in the midst of everyone trying to help (and they really are) there will be some (or a lot?) Of opinions, and sound advice. And sometimes a little eye poking. :poke:

-
Back