Pump to carb fuel line

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Looking for some direction on buying a OEM style fuel line for my 1972 Demon 340, stock thermoquad. I came across some on ebay but they state AVS or 66-67. I installed a Holley electric pump many moons ago and just ran a rubber line. I'd like to get it back to an OEM connection if I can. I appreciate any and all direction or links.

Found this on ebay, but was sold. Gives you an idea of what it looks like.
1720734528297.png

Check with Classic Industries :1972 340 Carter Thermo-Quad Pump To Carburetor Line; OE Material

View attachment 1716274790
Check with Classic Industries :1972 340 Carter Thermo-Quad Pump To Carburetor Line; OE Material
I've seen 2 piece lines that I'd imagine are for putting a filter in. The manual seems to show the filter before the pump but I've seen some pics on this site between the pump and carb which is where mine was currently.

View attachment 1716274790
Wow, just found that same one on Classic but the description states it's a 2 piece? I imagine there's another piece then but that's kind of confusing. I'll have to check in with them.

You could also bend your own with AGS pre-terminated (galvanized finish to match) brake line from the local store (1/2-20" inverted flare fittings?). The nuts can be cut and split off the flared tube easier than a cut and reflare. Need a vice to clamp to prevent slippage when flaring steel line. Poly coated and nickle copper also work but don't look original. 25 foot rolls are not that expensive. Avoid the shiny china copper plate rolls on ebay that claim to be nickel copper.

Last edited:
Looking for some direction on buying a OEM style fuel line for my 1972 Demon 340, stock thermoquad. I came across some on ebay but they state AVS or 66-67. I installed a Holley electric pump many moons ago and just ran a rubber line. I'd like to get it back to an OEM connection if I can. I appreciate any and all direction or links.
Inline tube has them. I bought one in stainless. Mancini Racing also resells the inline tube product. With this setup, the fuel filter goes between the frame rail and pump inlet.

The two piece design with the filter above the intake was an older design. I think they changed filter location to prevent leaks/fire. I think 72 was the changeover year.

here you can see some of how it routes
IMG_2517.jpeg

Last edited:
Inline tube has them. I bought one in stainless. Mancini Racing also resells the inline tube product. With this setup, the fuel filter goes between the frame rail and pump inlet.

The two piece design with the filter above the intake was an older design. I think they changed filter location to prevent leaks/fire. I think 72 was the changeover year.

here you can see some of how it routes
View attachment 1716274905
Thanks j, I'm looking over your build right now. Your car looks fantastic! So being a '72 just like mine, is this the way yours was originally set up, with the filter pre-pump and a one piece fuel line from the pump to the carb? Thanks again for the detailed info.

Thanks j, I'm looking over your build right now. Your car looks fantastic! So being a '72 just like mine, is this the way yours was originally set up, with the filter pre-pump and a one piece fuel line from the pump to the carb? Thanks again for the detailed info.
Thank you! I can't recall what my actual setup was. I took the car apart about 25 years ago. There were lots of changes previous owners had made. So who knows if what I took apart was original or not. I would have had a different carb line as my car was a 318 /2 barrel car. Now, the car has the same block but a 340 top end and carb so I needed a line (and fuel pump) that would have been on a 340 / 4 barrel car.

Thank you! I can't recall what my actual setup was. I took the car apart about 25 years ago. There were lots of changes previous owners had made. So who knows if what I took apart was original or not. I would have had a different carb line as my car was a 318 /2 barrel car. Now, the car has the same block but a 340 top end and carb so I needed a line (and fuel pump) that would have been on a 340 / 4 barrel car.
Further inspection to my manual shows definitively the filer is pre pump. I found the line on Classic ind and it shows it as one piece but the description states 2 piece. :BangHead: I guess I'll need to contact them and hopefully someone will take the time to investigate and confirm. Yours definitely is one piece pump to carb though?

All that said, I'm only one page in on your build, looking forward to the rest as I think it will be very enlightening. there's a lot of similarities in our situations including the quest to be a rock star :lol:I've also owned this car for MANY years but probably haven't put 1000 miles on it in the last 45. Haven't even started it in 20, the last time being to drive it to my current residence. Expect to hear from me a bit on your thread, I'll try not to be too bothersome.

GRP-14-IL-PG--09.jpg

Further inspection to my manual shows definitively the filer is pre pump. I found the line on Classic ind and it shows it as one piece but the description states 2 piece. :BangHead: I guess I'll need to contact them and hopefully someone will take the time to investigate and confirm. Yours definitely is one piece pump to carb though?

All that said, I'm only one page in on your build, looking forward to the rest as I think it will be very enlightening. there's a lot of similarities in our situations including the quest to be a rock star :lol:I've also owned this car for MANY years but probably haven't put 1000 miles on it in the last 45. Haven't even started it in 20, the last time being to drive it to my current residence. Expect to hear from me a bit on your thread, I'll try not to be too bothersome.

View attachment 1716275018
I try to stay away for classic as much as I can. I havent had the best experiences with them.

Yep. the one I picked up from inline tube is 1 piece. Connected to the pump outlet, it snakes up around the dipstick tube and out between the alternator and AC compressor before heading over to the carb inlet. It took a little tweaking to get it in just right but its installed without touching or rubbing on anything.

Mine came from inline tube. even though the illustration doesn't show the tight bend, if you ordered yours from the same place, it'll be the same. there wasn't much tweaking to be done. IIRC I did have to replace the fuel pump though.The pump I had didn't have the correct orientation for the inlet and outlet. They were spread too far apart or at the wrong angle or something. I re-ordered one for a 340 and it had the inlet/outlet at the correct angles for the carb line to thread in place. kind of hard to explain.

Mine came from inline tube. even though the illustration doesn't show the tight bend, if you ordered yours from the same place, it'll be the same. there wasn't much tweaking to be done. IIRC I did have to replace the fuel pump though.The pump I had didn't have the correct orientation for the inlet and outlet. They were spread too far apart or at the wrong angle or something. I re-ordered one for a 340 and it had the inlet/outlet at the correct angles for the carb line to thread in place. kind of hard to explain.
All good, sir. Same thing, it was close but not close enough to work so I tweaked it about a dozen or so times and suddenly it just fell into place. Now the new issue is I removed the alternator to make it easier and in doing so I snapped the shield and contact on the main connection and one of the other wires is really ready to fall off so I need to figure out what to do with those.

20240717_173234.jpg

20240717_172119.jpg

I’ll have to look at mine but I think mine is just a ring terminal with that shield I linked above. As far as your other connections, you should be able to reuse your connector ends and just snip
Off and install new packard terminals

Yeah I agree about the other terminals. I think I have some left from when I was installing a rear defogger. Not sure if I got any females though but if not I'll just get some

All good, sir. Same thing, it was close but not close enough to work so I tweaked it about a dozen or so times and suddenly it just fell into place. Now the new issue is I removed the alternator to make it easier and in doing so I snapped the shield and contact on the main connection and one of the other wires is really ready to fall off so I need to figure out what to do with those.

View attachment 1716277514

View attachment 1716277515
That is a gorgeous looking thermoquad! I'm a little envious!!!

-
Back