PVC or breather?

-
Nice clean looking engine compartment BTW.
I see what looks like Classic Auto Air heat & A/C connectors at the firewall. Seller must’ve kept the compressor & condenser? Do you have intentions on reinstalling that stuff, or just nice weather hot rod?
You are correct. I don't have the rest of the componants (as eveidently the builder of my car decided not to include them when he sold the car to the dealer I purschased it from) but I am planning on buying what I need and have the A/C installed, probably later this summer or until I can't stand the NC heat! This is just a weekend car for me anyway.

Look at the diagram in post #3. The system needs an inlet. Doing it the way you did, there's no inlet, so there's no through flow in the crankcase.

Well...you can run the PCV valve with no breather. You can use it to pull a little bit of crankcase vacuum. That’s how I do it.

How much pan vacuum am I pulling?? At this point I have no clue. I also run a pan evac with the PCV valve so at a cruise both are pulling on the crankcase. At idle it’s mostly the PCV valve and at WOT it’s just the pan evacs.

I will be throughly flogging and data logging this on the dyno later this year, unless I have a stroke or a widow maker first. Both seem to be real possibilities.

You are correct. I don't have the rest of the componants (as eveidently the builder of my car decided not to include them when he sold the car to the dealer I purschased it from) but I am planning on buying what I need and have the A/C installed, probably later this summer or until I can't stand the NC heat! This is just a weekend car for me anyway.

I would still want a PCV valve that can be run in fixed orifice mode but can also be tuned. And cleaned. ME Wagner makes the only one I know of.

Well...you can run the PCV valve with no breather. You can use it to pull a little bit of crankcase vacuum. That’s how I do it.

How much pan vacuum am I pulling?? At this point I have no clue. I also run a pan evac with the PCV valve so at a cruise both are pulling on the crankcase. At idle it’s mostly the PCV valve and at WOT it’s just the pan evacs.

I will be throughly flogging and data logging this on the dyno later this year, unless I have a stroke or a widow maker first. Both seem to be real possibilities.

And WHEN does it pull that vacuum? Part throttle, so it's SURE not needed on a race car. That's more of a crankcase evac job, like the hoses from the valve covers to the collectors kinda thAng.

Watch your message inbox.....dork.

I believe @Jpar did a low buck compressor/condensor to setup an AC system. Check out his component selection and get some ideas. I used the Buchillion bracket to put the compressor down low. I know this has little to do with the PCV so Ill "cool it"

There is and it’s worthless with a breather in the same valve cover.
So what you're saying is that I should remove the breather on the driver side valve cover and plug up the hole? I guess it would make sense because othewise it seems that the air will only get sucked in and out again and not pull the crankcase vacuum out if I understand correctly.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that I should remove the breather on the driver side valve cover and plug up the hole?

Yes. He's saying PCV and breather don't go on the same side. JUST like I told you when I said look at post #3. That says it all. Breather on one side, PCV on the other. JUST LIKE the diagram, not "a little bit" like it.

Yes. He's saying PCV and breather don't go on the same side. JUST like I told you when I said look at post #3. That says it all. Breather on one side, PCV on the other. JUST LIKE the diagram, not "a little bit" like it.
Gotcha. Thanks. I may be slow but I'll eventually get there. ;)

Gotcha. Thanks. I may be slow but I'll eventually get there. ;)

No worries. It's gonna be really nice too.....it already is. I cannot think of many cars I like low profile tires on but this is one. It's really tasteful.

I had a 327 SBC years that had a lot of blowby. I installed a pvc valve on both valve covers, problem solved. Remember when the SBC only had a road draft tube for crankcase ventilation??
Yeah, I understand the "road tube" would bring tears to your eyes!

-
Back