quarter panel replace ment

-
If you don't flange panels, why are alot of the pros doing it.

No offense, but what is their warranty?

Also, forgot to say, I cleaned the back, and welded in a 1" by 1/8" strap, for strength, and a burn-thru backer .

No offense, but what is their warranty?

Also, forgot to say, I cleaned the back, and welded in a 1" by 1/8" strap, for strength, and a burn-thru backer .

good tip, decrease chances of over heating and warping,decrease chances of burning through and good for a bit of added strength.

1/8" isnt a must though, you could get away with a thinner gauge.

and if you do go that route be sure to take steps to avoid any rust collection in the area where the strip is at and use some weld through primer and some sealer when done.

When butt welding I've used a chunk of aluminum bar stock for a backer. The weld won't stick to the aluminum and it prevents the molten metal from dripping through and creating a big hole.

that doesn t make any sense to me.. how is that different than flanging??? that strip you put in there is taking the place of the flange. but now you have 3 pieces of metal instead of just 2. and even more heat. plus u are throwing water into the mix. sounds like corrosion city. sorry green, just had to bust your balls a little. it seems that there is more than 1 way to "skin a cat" or car. hey.....if it works for ya. get er done.

that doesn t make any sense to me.. how is that different than flanging??? that strip you put in there is taking the place of the flange. but now you have 3 pieces of metal instead of just 2. and even more heat. plus u are throwing water into the mix. sounds like corrosion city. sorry green, just had to bust your balls a little. it seems that there is more than 1 way to "skin a cat" or car. hey.....if it works for ya. get er done.
I think he is using the aluminum for a backer while welding. No way would the aluminum weld fast to steel. Unless he's the one with an aluminum magnet.:happy5:

I think he is using the aluminum for a backer while welding. No way would the aluminum weld fast to steel. Unless he's the one with an aluminum magnet.:happy5:
Exactly, the aluminum is only clamped or held behind the panel while welding to prevent burning through the steel and creating a hole that you will then have to fill, then the aluminum is removed. This is not the be all to end all, its just a technique I use when butt welding to make life a little bit easier.

about an inch from the top, No flange, very little filler needed. Run a bead of seame sealer in the trunk along the cut to keep moister out and its up high enough that you wont see were the panel was replaced.

Attachments

• 2205.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 349
sorry guys. i know the weld thru backer routine. i was just messing with green about welding in a backing strip( a weld in flange ).

If you don't flange panels, why are alot of the pros doing it.
I have been doing this for 22years and have never seen what I would call a true professional flange any type of skin door,qrt,fender nothing.I know it is tough at times,the end result when done is far superior in the end.This will allow you to finish the inside as well the outside to hide any repairs.I know some of you guys are saying the body guy down a joe blows shop told me to do so.Lets just say the industry is weighed in the wrong direction of quality and more so to production!!!!That and don't consider every body tech you talk to a professional either.

i probably shouldn t but.....i m gonna anyway. i m that guy who throws gas on a fire. lol
here s the deal. there s nothing wrong with butt welding OR FLANGING. it just depends on who you ask. there are many techniques for doing different things and they all have their place. i don t know why everyone acts like the flange being in the trunk is this HUGE ugly secret that you can t hide.? i don t care if you are RON COVELL...chances are....that either way you do it( butt or flange type weld) you are gonna have to put filler over your repair. whats wrong with a skim coat of duraglass over the small flange in the trunk????? not hard to do. and if you ask me...i d rather have the flange (with some extra strength behind it) than a butt-welded seam and a ground down (thinner-weaker) area on the side of my car. just me i guess.
ON THE OTHER HAND.. there s times i would butt-weld something. like my inner fenders. somebody hacked it up, blah, blah, fenderwell headers, bla blah. but the car came with nice patch panels( half the inner fender) so i used em. i cut right down the contoured part of it ( where the strength was) and butt-welded them in, b/c i knew how much rigidity was already there, plus it s kinda rough to flange a bunch of compound curves like that. i left much of the weld inside the wheel well cause i knew it would be easily covered with undercoat. they turned out awesome.
my point is that there s a time for everything, but i know it takes more skill and patience to butt-weld than flange, and not everyone has it. and some extra strength never hurt. and i know there are some guys out there who want to do their own repairs, but might not be able to pull it off, get pissed and break something or someone. there s nothing wrong with that.. i ve been there.
good luck to everyone out there who has the nuts to try their own resto work. save yourself some money, and learn something new. thats where the fun is in restorations. other than the drive i guess. lol

Attachments

• 100_2070.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 353
  • 100_2071.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_2167.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 292
here s my FLANGED lower rear quarter.

Attachments

• 100_2127.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 100_2126.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 329
and yes.. i cleaned the rust out of the trunk before i welded it in. just a test fit. figured some smart a$$ would say something about that.

BOOM. where d that ugly flange go?? HMM. next big thing on here will be that it is illegal to put filler in the trunk. but it s gonna be ok to pack that butt weld area full of mud. lol. sorry. i think it s funny.

Attachments

• 100_2348.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 303
Lol flanging is strong and somewhat easier for a beginner. Butt weld is for experienced guys with patience as it takes lots of trimming and fitment. The buttweld must have clearance or a gap around the entire piece for metal expansion as you weld,so fitment is critical.

BOOM. where d that ugly flange go?? HMM. next big thing on here will be that it is illegal to put filler in the trunk. but it s gonna be ok to pack that butt weld area full of mud. lol. sorry. i think it s funny.

It is illegal to put body filler inside the trunk from here on out !!! :evil3:
Any way I have to throw my 2 cents in here, there is nothing wrong with flangeing or butt welding or even just doing an over lap. It all just depends on what your capable of doing and picking the right spot to do it at on the body. The main thing to consider on any repair is to make sure it is sealed up tight so no moisture can get to the seam. My personal thought is that a tig welded butt joint is the best way to go on a concourse restoration as the finished product if done properly will require near zero filler if not zero. But for most of us who just want a nice job the flange method is soooo much easier and can save alot of time and agrivation.

-
Back