Question about 1968 Dart shoulder belts

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Dart 270. It is an early production model without front shoulder belts. I know that later that year front belts were mandated so all cars got them from that point on. My question is did all 1968 darts have mounting points for the front shoulder belts and clips near the A Pillars?

The clips by the A pillar are part of the sun visors. At the rear there is a threaded hole in roof but not sure early cars had those.

I don't think 68 has the roof mounting point.
My memory sucks but I remember not being able to use my 69 Belts on my 68 Hardtop.

1968 roof mounting point was standard, but being an "early" model w/o shoulder belts I would expect no mounting and no front clip.

Thanks. So it would seem the answer would be no. I was thinking chrysler may have made all of them with the mounting points on the inside in case someone ordered front belts and in anticipation of the mid year mandate. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
They were mandatory January 1, 1968 so the early cars would only have them if ordered...

Picture of my 68 Dart shoulder seat belts

189C53B6-27D8-47F4-8FCE-7DCF16C049DA.jpeg

DFB2DC29-B48D-4083-BC12-55735CD62936.jpeg

A325FB9D-A389-4CC7-903D-D4EEEB54A24F.jpeg

AF2DC07B-8CCE-4168-8952-F657DD24E2C4.jpeg

If they were optional on the early '68 cars I would bet the threaded nut in the roof is there on the early '68 cars.
Does anyone know the code for it should be an option on the fender tag someone know the code I’ll check mine

If they were optional on the early '68 cars I would bet the threaded nut in the roof is there on the early '68 cars.
That's what I was assuming too,but am not sure. I was thinking Chrysler,knowing the belts would be mandatory mid year would have had the mounting areas installed on all the cars in anticipation of it.

That's what I was assuming too,but am not sure. I was thinking Chrysler,knowing the belts would be mandatory mid year would have had the mounting areas installed on all the cars in anticipation of it.
My buddy has a 68 also and he put a new headliner in and noticed the bolt holes welded in place and came over to look at mine he now has them in his car he had to buy new clips for the sun visor as they didn’t have the seat belt clips

My buddy has a 68 also and he put a new headliner in and noticed the bolt holes welded in place and came over to look at mine he now has them in his car he had to buy new clips for the sun visor as they didn’t have the seat belt clips
Cool. So it would appear I could add shoulder belts to mine then sometime in the future. I figured Chrysler would have just had the mounting holes on all the roofs in case someone ordered them and for when the mandate took effecf.

Cool. So it would appear I could add shoulder belts to mine then sometime in the future. I figured Chrysler would have just had the mounting holes on all the roofs in case someone ordered them and for when the mandate took effecf.
I guess you could rub the head liner to make sure that the bolts are indeed there before cutting the fabric to be sure they are there

Useless comment, me, but you'd think the feds would have given the manufacturers sufficient lead time, AKA just moved them back to the 69 model year.

They were mandatory January 1, 1968 so the early cars would only have them if ordered...
That is what I was thinking. If the shoulder harness was an option in the first half of 1968, then the threaded hole will likely be there. The manufacturer would likely have the threaded hole there on all cars and use it when the option was chosen.

As stated above see if you can feel the anchor hole where the belt mounts first cause I was surprised to find no accommodation for shoulder belts on a 1968 GTS. I believe it was an early build (maybe Sept 67 ?). I agree that you would think ma mopar would have installed on all roofs in case they were ordered. Maybe they used up all old stock first in the pursuit of saving $$. Anyway that's what I believe I remember.

-
Back