Quitting smoking.

-
Good luck to everybody....I figured I would "hit" this as there are probably people craving a smoke and maybe reading it again would help them. Its been 2 days now....early I know but its weird..I think about a smoke and then I go "oh yeah" I dont smoke anymore..no cravings, but I do think about it once in a while.....I dont know what to blame the weird dreams on, but as long as I dont talk in my sleep its all good LOL.. Oh price of smokes here is almost $12/pack, but we live 20 minutes from a reserve and the cartons of their brands are $31...good smokes too not garbage...at $31/carton it makes it hard to quit.... Congrats everybody!! Keep going, take it day by day!

Good luck to everybody....I figured I would "hit" this as there are probably people craving a smoke and maybe reading it again would help them. Its been 2 days now....early I know but its weird..I think about a smoke and then I go "oh yeah" I dont smoke anymore..no cravings, but I do think about it once in a while.....I dont know what to blame the weird dreams on, but as long as I dont talk in my sleep its all good LOL.. Oh price of smokes here is almost $12/pack, but we live 20 minutes from a reserve and the cartons of their brands are $31...good smokes too not garbage...at $31/carton it makes it hard to quit.... Congrats everybody!! Keep going, take it day by day!

That's the way I was looking at it to. ""oh yeah", I don't smoke anymore". It seems to work.

I am now into week #7 of not smoking.

Jack

Thats awesome Steve! I'm glad to hear you've quit. I saw my stepdad die from lung cancer after smoking for over 50 years. I wouldn't wish what he went through on my worst enemy. Stick with it Steve..... you will be thankful you did!

Two weak check in, My girl friend and I are still smoke free. I'm so freakin happy it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. First three days was hard . But I'm smoke free and will never smoke again . Will check back in at the end of the month .

That's the way I was looking at it to. ""oh yeah", I don't smoke anymore". It seems to work.

I am now into week #7 of not smoking.

Jack

Two weak check in, My girl friend and I are still smoke free. I'm so freakin happy it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. First three days was hard . But I'm smoke free and will never smoke again . Will check back in at the end of the month .
WAY to go guys :cheers::cheers::cheers:
I too look at the same way, I am no longer a smoker !!!
I do not count the weeks anymore....
I started breathing again on November 27,2012....

Have to be proud of all of you. I have been smoke free for 14 years

That's great!!! You have a great attitude and that sure helps.

Jack

WAY to go guys :cheers::cheers::cheers:
I too look at the same way, I am no longer a smoker !!!
I do not count the weeks anymore....
I started breathing again on November 27,2012....

My date is December 5th, 2012. But I have to say, I don't notice anything much different yet, other than more money to spend on the Demon. LOL

Jack

I freaken quit for 5 years, then relapse a couple of years back--was to be just till summer came, lol

Now I'm smoke free again....like the 4th or 5th time...this time thou its not so bad ? Haven't really craved it the last couple of weeks

I gotta quit, today while driving in the bitter cold my chest started to hurt..thought of those folks that have a heart attack while driving, that isn't too cool...I was ready to pull off the road if need be. It likely was just the cold weather but smoking can't be healthy.

Gets me how many of the stores pulled the smokes out of sight but they keep the lighters right there next to the candy, ugh. Those freaken lighters should be pulled out of sight also..............I'm writing to Obama, lol..we need more regulations, lol

I quit on the last day of 2012. I quit before for almost 6 years this time I'm not going back.
It gets harder to quit each time.

I'm still hanging in there. Today I was even happy for a bit that I'm clean of that smoke. No more chest pains either while driving so maybe it was the bitter cold...was 20's today--heat wave, lol

I quit twice.

The first time was 12/25/06. My dad had a heart attack on christmas day, and I took a full pack of cigarettes out of my coat pocket, opened the door to the furnace and threw the new pack into the fire.

I was not a pleasant person to be around for a while. I spent a week wandering around the hospital, running purely on Coffee (no sleep, no cigarettes) while I waited for my dad to be released. Apparently I looked pretty rough, because people would see me walking down the hall and they'd take off in the other direction quick!

I stayed away from cigarettes for a little over a year, until the crap hit the fan. It had been a bad month, and I don't even remember what happened after that, but I do remember walking out to my cousin's truck (because he smoked) and pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his glovebox. :violent1:

I quit again on 5/15/11. Threw that pack of cigarettes into the fire too (better to get rid of them, than to have them and say "When this pack is gone I'll quit")

A couple months went by and my parents split up, started smoking again...

Quitting is easy, it's staying away from them that's hard, especially when life gets rough.

I quit twice.

The first time was 12/25/06. My dad had a heart attack on christmas day, and I took a full pack of cigarettes out of my coat pocket, opened the door to the furnace and threw the new pack into the fire.

I was not a pleasant person to be around for a while. I spent a week wandering around the hospital, running purely on Coffee (no sleep, no cigarettes) while I waited for my dad to be released. Apparently I looked pretty rough, because people would see me walking down the hall and they'd take off in the other direction quick!

I stayed away from cigarettes for a little over a year, until the crap hit the fan. It had been a bad month, and I don't even remember what happened after that, but I do remember walking out to my cousin's truck (because he smoked) and pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his glovebox. :violent1:

I quit again on 5/15/11. Threw that pack of cigarettes into the fire too (better to get rid of them, than to have them and say "When this pack is gone I'll quit")

A couple months went by and my parents split up, started smoking again...

Quitting is easy, it's staying away from them that's hard, especially when life gets rough.

That is true it is hard to stay away from them. When I am tempted I try and find something to do to take my mind off of it. it has worked for the last 14 years.

That is true it is hard to stay away from them. When I am tempted I try and find something to do to take my mind off of it. it has worked for the last 14 years.

Agreed, when I had quit (both times), I used my hobbies to keep myself occupied.

Body Work/Painting were the best, because you can't smoke and wear a mask/fresh air respirator setup at the same time :D Same goes for building engines, you can't smoke, might get ashes inside that rebuilt engine. :D

My advice to anyone who is going to quit, avoid hobbies that give you ample time to sit or hobbies that give you a chance to have a free hand. If you can sit or have a hand free, you can smoke.

Avoid Instruments too... Cause every rocker knows it's possible to play a screamin' guitar solo, give the finger to someone in the crowd, slide your sunglasses back up your nose, and smoke a cigarette all at the same time. :D Ok I'm joking (though it can be done), an instrument is a great way to keep your mind and body occupied.

Sadly, in this day and age, it's nowhere near as "occupying" to learn an instrument (what with video games like Rocksmith and such out there). When I learned to play guitar I had no idea what I was doing, I had a couple tabs for some songs and just kept goofing around with the guitar until I figured out what needed to be done and taught myself how to play.

I believe you. My B-in-law quit 30 years ago, and he says to this day that every once in a while somebody will light a smoke up and it smells so good that he wants one. He never takes one but the want is there.

I guess I have a ways to go, I'm only in my 8th week.

Jack

I believe you. My B-in-law quit 30 years ago, and he says to this day that every once in a while somebody will light a smoke up and it smells so good that he wants one. He never takes one but the want is there.

I guess I have a ways to go, I'm only in my 8th week.

Jack

Doesn't matter if it's 8 weeks, you beat it. And since you know what might happen now and then as far for a smell,or a craving you know how to ignore it.

Agreed, when I had quit (both times), I used my hobbies to keep myself occupied.

Body Work/Painting were the best, because you can't smoke and wear a mask/fresh air respirator setup at the same time :D Same goes for building engines, you can't smoke, might get ashes inside that rebuilt engine. :D

My advice to anyone who is going to quit, avoid hobbies that give you ample time to sit or hobbies that give you a chance to have a free hand. If you can sit or have a hand free, you can smoke.

Avoid Instruments too... Cause every rocker knows it's possible to play a screamin' guitar solo, give the finger to someone in the crowd, slide your sunglasses back up your nose, and smoke a cigarette all at the same time. :D Ok I'm joking (though it can be done), an instrument is a great way to keep your mind and body occupied.

Sadly, in this day and age, it's nowhere near as "occupying" to learn an instrument (what with video games like Rocksmith and such out there). When I learned to play guitar I had no idea what I was doing, I had a couple tabs for some songs and just kept goofing around with the guitar until I figured out what needed to be done and taught myself how to play.

Great suggestions there. But I am to old to learn how to play a guitar.

Well i made it 12 hrs without one, then fail :(

Hey don't give up. Every time you have a urge to light up find something to do. One trick my wife did when I quit she scrubbed everything then painted the walls to get rid of the smell.

Great suggestions there. But I am to old to learn how to play a guitar.

Never too old Cliff..yer only too old when you are having a "dirt nap"

Well i made it 12 hrs without one, then fail :(

It's tough Peter, it is more being mentally "ready" you have to convince yourself that you are a non-smoker.

I have smoked off n on for the better part of 30 years...quit for a couple years then started up like a dumbass. Its been almost 2 weeks without one...but I do have the occasional left-hander...

Thanks, Cliff, Steve. I want (need) to quit soooo bad. Been smoking for around 40 yrs, quit once for about 9 months when i had cancer back in 07. It wasn't to hard at that time. Had to have my tonsils out before i could start treatments, so between not being able to swallow and laying in bed medicated it wasn't to bad. My problem is that most of the time my son is working and i'm by myself so there's no one there to tell me NO you don't NEED that butt, NO don't go get any. Think i'm going to go to drug store and get the patch os some nicotene gum or something. I have quit every other bad habbit i have ever had, some could have had disasterous results. I'm going to read this whole thread everytime i want a smoke. Sometimes it makes me so depressed that i feel like a failure because i can't kick this. :cry:

Thanks, Cliff, Steve. I want (need) to quit soooo bad. Been smoking for around 40 yrs, quit once for about 9 months when i had cancer back in 07. It wasn't to hard at that time. Had to have my tonsils out before i could start treatments, so between not being able to swallow and laying in bed medicated it wasn't to bad. My problem is that most of the time my son is working and i'm by myself so there's no one there to tell me NO you don't NEED that butt, NO don't go get any. Think i'm going to go to drug store and get the patch os some nicotene gum or something. I have quit every other bad habbit i have ever had, some could have had disasterous results. I'm going to read this whole thread everytime i want a smoke. Sometimes it makes me so depressed that i feel like a failure because i can't kick this. :cry:

Buy a model car kit and only work on it every time you get the urge. Read the instructions to see what color paints you need and do a little at the time.

-
Back