Radiator ID help needed

-

midnight340

Reaction score
Hi Guys, been a while since I checked in, but I'm thinking of a replacement radiator ahead of my 340. The one I'm running I do remember pulling from a salvage yard Dart, and I believe the numbers say it was from a 1972 340 car. (Core 22"w x 17"h and total radiator height 22". Inlet and outlet on drivers side.). Numbers on the tank are 18398 and 3574 658.

My confusion is that these side flanges come to the rear and bolt holes are even with the back side of the radiator. All the replacements I have seen so far seem to have the flanges mounted so bolt holes are flush with the front of the radiator, not the rear. (Admittedly in my case, my radiator support set up is all home made so my existing works fine.) What am I missing here? Why does my stock radiator seem to be different from all the replacements?

Did I at one time have the side flanges mounted backwards??? I certainly have no memory of doing this, but I guess it's possible. Were there any A-body radiators with the mounting flanges flush with the rear of the unit??

The only radiators I find that even have the outlet/inlet both on the drivers side are B body big block units, even though my numbers say 340 A body (according to numbers listed here on FABO by someone...)

Thanks, Dana67Dart, it's been nearly 30 years with my 340 and since I got this radiator and did this set up. Memory fails, but it appears I must have had the brackets reversed and the lower outlet moved when I set this up!!! Looking closely I see that it has been altered, and I know my 340 has always had the earlier water pump.

Thanks for helping me clear this up. And I guess I can quit looking for a production aluminum on to fit. I do still have a local radiator shop, so I can have this one refreshed or have a custom aluminum one made.

If you call US Radiator or other reproduction radiator manufacturers they can make you a rad to fit and out of the material of your choice.

Can your core support be changed back to OEM?

There is no reason a 69 340 rad can't fit properly with the stock OEM style parts.

-
Back