radiator leak cause question

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
1997 dodge ram van. A lady sideswiped me & drove me into the median, a pretty intense hit. A week later the radiator top tank sprung a massive leak along a seam. do you think the accident caused this or there were several 100 degree days right prior to it leaking. If you guys think yes I will include that in the damages I will seek & if not then I will let that damage go. thank you for your time. RR

1997 dodge ram van. A lady sideswiped me & drove me into the median, a pretty intense hit. A week later the radiator top tank sprung a massive leak along a seam. do you think the accident caused this or there were several 100 degree days right prior to it leaking. If you guys think yes I will include that in the damages I will seek & if not then I will let that damage go. thank you for your time. RR
Those radiators have plastic upper and lower tanks that have the core crimped to them with a rubber gasket sandwiched in between- a hit could have shifted it and caused the crimping/gasket to fail (your "massive leak along a seam"). It doesn't take much to make those things spring a leak... I'd claim it.

With plastic tanks it doesn't take much effort to make them leak.
If the core-support was hit hard enough to make it diamond shaped, you can bet the plastic will leak, sooner or later.

If your cooling system is operating properly, the ambient temp will not affect it.
If the pressure in the tank exceeds the rating of the cap, the excess pressure is supposed to be vented, that is part of the purpose of the cap,
My rad is a 1973 model, and, altho designed to run at 15psi when new, I only run a 7psi cap, and so that antique rad continues to hang together.

IDK why your tank burst, it could be a combination of factors. I hate that stupid idea of plastic tanks. there is a very expensive chunk of metal depending on the rad. Manufacturers should know better.

With plastic tanks it doesn't take much effort to make them leak.
If the core-support was hit hard enough to make it diamond shaped, you can bet the plastic will leak, sooner or later.

yup what he said:rofl::thumbsup:
if that van was a B150 and it was like my 2000 I had /it has a k frame/sub frame and have an alignment shop look at it

-
Back