Radio bezel

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the proper way to remove the radio bezel? I removed the screws but there seems to be something else holding it on. 69 Dart Swinger.

Here is the back side of the bezel, there is a metal piece screwed to the back of it, or are you just talking about the actual radio bezel beneath it? There are four screws that hold the radio bezel on...

Heater bezel 2.JPG

It's the part that the thumb wheels go through. I'm trying to remove the radio.

Last edited:
Pull the knobs off. At the base of the shafts are thin nuts, take a 5/8 socket. Remove them, radio should come out the back.

There might be a bracket in the back of the radio also. Sorry buts it's been a while so not 100% sure.

Pull out your front seat (trust me it would tough but being able to crawl around vs being upside down and backwards…)
Get right in there and look around with a flash light and see. Who knows what has been done after 50years.

If you're talking Bezel, 2 small Allen screws for heat control knobs and 4 or 5 Phillip screws. Remove then unscrew front radio screws. As I said earlier there might be a bracket holding up the rear of the radio.

IIRC, you have to unbolt the heater control assembly first to get the bezel off. No need to remove cables or wiring, just the outer slide knobs and the nuts holding the assembly bracket to the back of the bezel. I would disconnect the battery too. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't, but, I like to be safe when working under the dash.

so these are self explanatory
heater 1.JPG

These 2 small screws have to come out too
heater 2.JPG

the arrows point to the screws that go into the 2 standoffs above, you have to remove the nuts from the studs to access the screws.
heater 3.JPG

Where the studs go through the control
1723493676248.png

these two knobs have to come off (allen wrench)
1723493598246.png

At least it is not a 67...

There are 3 blade like posts on the back of the bezel that have spring clips to retain them. The blade posts break off just looking at them. then the 2 screws, then the radio knobs then the heater control knobs
1723494810775.png

I thought the heater controls mount to the steel dash and not the Bezel on the thumbwheel knob style bezel but it has been a while since I had my 68 bezel off.

I thought the heater controls mount to the steel dash and not the Bezel on the thumbwheel knob style bezel but it has been a while since I had my 68 bezel off
I think it does but the metal plate is part of the mounting hardware.

-
Back