Ram with V6. Reviews?

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading in our 2017 Ram 1500 in on a 2023 Ram 1500. Not that I want/need new, but the 2017 has 135 km's on it and don't want any upcoming surprises.
The 23 has the 8spd trans and V6. Anyone have experience, good bad or ugly with these? Sales rep said towing isn't an issue with the V6, 300hp.
Thanks
Steve

Looking at trading in our 2017 Ram 1500 in on a 2023 Ram 1500. Not that I want/need new, but the 2017 has 135 km's on it and don't want any upcoming surprises.
The 23 has the 8spd trans and V6. Anyone have experience, good bad or ugly with these? Sales rep said towing isn't an issue with the V6, 300hp.
Thanks
Steve
Sales rep said towing "WHAT" isn't an issue? I'd want some examples.

I had a 19 V6 8-speed standard cab, 6.5' bed Ram, it was a really good truck.
I added a factory trailer brake kit, and used it to tow light stuff.

To tow anything heavy I just used my 3500 Ram.

Not advising one way or the other Steve, but at ''84k'' miles, there sure is a lot of life left in the 2017.

V6's are far more common than V8's now..and turbo 4 cylinders right behind them.
just sayin'

Thanks Rick, that's what I'm wondering. I still owe $$ on it for another year, but with the deals on the 23's, payments would be lower. But sucked in for another 6-7 years lol.

Thanks, good to know on towing. Tongue weight on our boat is light, I can lift with one arm. Not sure what the tow weight is.
Trailer brake is a good idea.
I had a 19 V6 8-speed standard cab, 6.5' bed Ram, it was a really good truck.
I added a factory trailer brake kit, and used it to tow light stuff.

To tow anything heavy I just used my 3500 Ram.

Not advising one way or the other Steve, but at ''84k'' miles, there sure is a lot of life left in the 2017.

Why I don't frequent new car lots....
I've got a 12 reg cab longbed with a supposed 300 HP 10:1 4.7. the most claimed HP of any vehicle I've ever owned. I avoided a 4.7 as long as I could, now we have 2 of them. The 08+ version with the 16 spark plugs is supposed to be superior to the 07-earlier. Supposedly the valve drop issues etc are no more. I haven't had that happen yet. The 4.7 in my 03 Durango (same gearing, heavier by virtue of the extra hardware 4wd has, the 12 pickup is 2wd) seems like a lot bigger engine, definitely glass more balls than the 12.
Another difference is the 03 is still throttle cable drive, the 12 is drive by wire. That may account for some of the difference.
The 4.7 in the truck leaves me wanting a 318 powered truck. And I haven't mentioned a v6 in this post yet. Gas mileage is about the same as any 318 truck I've had and the 318s have all seemed more powerful even 2 bbl carb'd ones I've had.
I've never had a hemi anything but if I can't find some "old man's special, been garage/ barn kept for 25+ years" with a 318/360 in it the next time I need a truck I will have to hold out and try a hemi. One thing that limits my choices is that I do not like 4 door anything. Reg cab long beds are tough to get with any engine.
But if we get the newer camper my wife wants us to get i will be moving back to a 3/4 ton anyway.

The 8 speed transmission behind the 3.6 Pentastar is a problem. Make sure you have a warranty that covers the transmission or RUN away.

If I lived in the flat country and needed a ride around truck that would tow stuff less heavy than a car trailer, I might consider a V6 Ram. About a year before I retired, the company truck I drove was due to be replaced, and they were buying V6 Ram quad cabs. I borrowed one from a co-worker one day when my truck was being serviced, and it didn't take me long to figure out I didn't want one to drive every day. I hated the knob on the dash for a shifter, plus, the area I live and worked in is in the mountains. The truck was constantly hunting gears and revving higher than I was comfortable with. I told them just to hold my 2012 Silverado over one more year and me and the truck could retire at the same time!

Thanks Rick, that's what I'm wondering. I still owe $$ on it for another year, but with the deals on the 23's, payments would be lower. But sucked in for another 6-7 years lol.

Thanks, good to know on towing. Tongue weight on our boat is light, I can lift with one arm. Not sure what the tow weight is.
Trailer brake is a good idea.
I bought the factory Mopar trailer brake set up, and installed it myself. It was like $250.
Then you have to take it to the dealer and have it programed.
After programmed it will show up as a factory option on the truck.

Lol, yeah not huge. Not a "tinner" per se, a "fish n ski" they call it. 90 Merc.
I think unless you find a smoking gun for not to buy that it will tow all you will ever want if that's about the limit to the weight you're talkin about.

I think unless you find a smoking gun for not to buy that it will tow all you will ever want if that's about the limit to the weight you're talkin about.
True, I towed my dump trailer, with a load around 3500# with no issues.

The 8 speed transmission behind the 3.6 Pentastar is a problem. Make sure you have a warranty that covers the transmission or RUN away.

The 8-speed is a heck of a lot better than any of the ones before it in trucks; 4-, 5-, 6-speeds are grenades with the pin pulled. 4xRE is ok after it's been rebuilt with some upgrades.

I suppose the Pentastar V6 in a Ram would work at sea level, my mom has a 2014 300C with the V6 and 8-speed and it was pretty quick up to about 70 mph at 5000' elevation but that's at least 1000 lbs lighter than a Ram. My dad recently got a 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 8-speed after moving to TN and driving it is a hoot, hauls *** for how big and heavy it is but it'll probably never tow anything. My mom just moved out to TN to live with my dad, I'm curious to find out how much power her 300 picked up from the elevation change.

The 8-speed is a heck of a lot better than any of the ones before it in trucks; 4-, 5-, 6-speeds are grenades with the pin pulled. 4xRE is ok after it's been rebuilt with some upgrades.

I suppose the Pentastar V6 in a Ram would work at sea level, my mom has a 2014 300C with the V6 and 8-speed and it was pretty quick up to about 70 mph at 5000' elevation but that's at least 1000 lbs lighter than a Ram. My dad recently got a 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 8-speed after moving to TN and driving it is a hoot, hauls *** for how big and heavy it is but it'll probably never tow anything. My mom just moved out to TN to live with my dad, I'm curious to find out how much power her 300 picked up from the elevation change.
Never heard nothing bad about the 6 speed Asain trans that were used in the HD 2500 and 3500 trucks.

Never heard nothing bad about the 6 speed Asain trans that were used in the HD 2500 and 3500 trucks.

True, I forgot about those. Basically any transmission that wasn't made by Chrysler is better lol. Unless we're going way back to the 3-speed Torqueflite of course.

My dad has a 2014 Chrysler town and country van with a v6. Had no problems towing a 19 ft maxim w/merc alpha 1 I/0. Matter of fact it scoots along pretty good, even with 4 adults in it.

If you don't want to believe me about the 8 speed call any CJDR parts department and ask if an 8 speed is available. There answer will be all the ones we have (if they can get any) are for customers and we have many on order with no eta. My brothers 21 V6 Ram 1500 with 28k just got his transmission replaced and he tows nothing and drives like a little old lady. And the OP is talking about a newer Ram 1500 V6 not a diesel or a 45/545 trans that were used behind 4.7 and 5.7 engines. A used Ram at the dealership will often have a better drivetrain warranty than new.

I wouldnt

I got a 5.7 in my 2500 and it feels weak
(The same engine does ok in my wifes grocery getter though)

-
Back