ran the Duster today.....

-
I picked up two tenths switching from those mufflers to pypes race pro's. It also stopped droneing at 2500 rpms. Race pro's NOT the violators! Car isn't any louder either.
this is what you ordered I assume? Do they get really loud at WOT? Also, how much horsepower/E.T. are you running? My motor is pretty much stock, wondering if I would see the same E.T. drop...????? :realcrazy:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-mvr13/overview/

At that time it was 9.5 to 1,fully ported x head, stock 340 casting intake with the divider cut down, stock 340 exhaust manifolds. .557 lift. You may not see the same improvement, but the dynomax turbo's flow in an "s" shape inside. The race pro's are straight through. Drive it on the street and its not loud. I have to be quieter than 92 decibls to run in my class. Funny with the dyno max mufflers i used to drive through a parking lot and set off car alarms! The race pro's have never done that. Go to the dynomax site look at the pictures for flow path.

At that time it was 9.5 to 1,fully ported x head, stock 340 casting intake with the divider cut down, stock 340 exhaust manifolds. .557 lift. You may not see the same improvement, but the dynomax turbo's flow in an "s" shape inside. The race pro's are straight through. Drive it on the street and its not loud. I have to be quieter than 92 decibls to run in my class. Funny with the dyno max mufflers i used to drive through a parking lot and set off car alarms! The race pro's have never done that. Go to the dynomax site look at the pictures for flow path.
Thanks... yep, I'm aware of the "S" design vs. straight through. I'll consider those, I didn't realize they'd be quit. I just don't like to announce to the world when I go out of town and do my own "test-n-tune".... LOL

Yes those are them, just don't get the violators. They are much louder and the sound is HORRIBLE! That blat blat blat blat exhaust sound. I have heard them on two different cars both sounded loud and horrible. A bb chevelle and another sb demon from which they were removed from right after it was broken in!

I do the same thing and have a state trooper barracks in my quiet small town. Never had an issue. It was one of the surprisingly large improvements over the years. The other was a under drive crank pulley, but i had been running the stock 340 ac crank pulley. It weighs no lie 7lbs! The march pulley is less than 1?!

Took off the 600 eddy, and threw on a 770 Holley street avenger. No other changes. My seat dyno said it was better, and it was. I went down today and made 1 pass. I'll post the new E.T. slip when home.

Took off the 600 eddy, and threw on a 770 Holley street avenger. No other changes. My seat dyno said it was better, and it was. I went down today and made 1 pass. I'll post the new E.T. slip when home.
Ok, here it is.....

DSCN0912.JPG

I've noticed that stiff competition brings better passes out of me.
The leaf springs I assume your talk'n about....?
I drove it an hour down to the strip, went straight to tech, and went straight to the staging lanes. Never gave it a "cool down" period. I only made the one pass. I had a bushing in the shift linkage come apart so I "Jerry rigged it" (sorry to all the Jerry's :D) and went to work from there.

That is a great time for the build. I read or hear about big money builds that don't seem to produce very good times, then once in a while you see a low budget build that really works. A set of gears and converter would easily put you into the 13's.

I think of it like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? crunch! "the world may never know"...
I was telling my wife just yesterday:
"if I got a new demon I would get rid of all my tools and all my Mopar Parts and the duster and just buy a buffer and some wax!"
She then quickly let out this big sneeze and at the end of it this trailing noise that sounded like the word bull****! I said what? She said are you joking? there's no way that you can leave things alone and that you wouldn't be trying to outsmart the Dodge engineers! You'd be tweaking on it and putting some kind of do-dad that you think will make it go faster, that's for damn sure! I was like how dare you call my bluff like that? You just know me too well...

That is a great time for the build. I read or hear about big money builds that don't seem to produce very good times, then once in a while you see a low budget build that really works. A set of gears and converter would easily put you into the 13's.
yeah, I figured just going to 3.21's would drop me from a 14.14 to maybe 13.80's.
But.......... I'm determined to get this car into the 13's with the current cam, 2.45 gears, stock converter, exhaust manifolds, and stock heads. I only need .15 to run a 13.99 :D

Weight?
With your skills and clean workable nuts & bolts, (not rusty) in an hour you and a friend could have the front bumper, hood, and back seat out. -200 lbs ? Easy no ?
In comparison that 318 my wife and I did.
.030 over
360 heads milled . 050
.450 lift?
Wind tray
headers, proformer intake, Edelbrock 600cfm
lightend duster with brand-new perfectly performing stage 3 shift kitted 904 and spooled Dana 60 with four tens.
And didn't do as well.
You have me convinced you're on the right track..

yeah, I figured just going to 3.21's would drop me from a 14.14 to maybe 13.80's.
But.......... I'm determined to get this car into the 13's with the current cam, 2.45 gears, stock converter, exhaust manifolds, and stock heads. I only need .15 to run a 13.99 :D

Weight?
With your skills and clean workable nuts & bolts, (not rusty) in an hour you and a friend could have the front bumper, hood, and back seat out. -200 lbs ? Easy no ?
In comparison that 318 my wife and I did.
.030 over
360 heads milled . 050
.450 lift?
Wind tray
headers, proformer intake, Edelbrock 600cfm
lightend duster with brand-new perfectly performing stage 3 shift kitted 904 and spooled Dana 60 with four tens.
And didn't do as well.
You have me convinced you're on the right track..
yeah, dropping weight by unbolting what you mentioned would push it into the 13's. But I'm going to leave it all together. Any weight I remove won't be seen. I'll have to weigh it and see where I'm at ??? my guess would be 3300 lbs without me.
I believe the tweaking never quits, there is always a few ponies somewhere. I was wondering if the Stealth would do me better than the Action Plus I currently have on the car??????

You want 13.99 $98.00 gets you a smaller diameter march aluminum crank pulley. If that doesnt do it unplug the field wire from the alt. wrap it in tape so it doesnt short. Actually more seat time is all you need. Play with shift points.

You want 13.99 $98.00 gets you a smaller diameter march aluminum crank pulley. If that doesnt do it unplug the field wire from the alt. wrap it in tape so it doesnt short. Actually more seat time is all you need. Play with shift points.

Ah ha! I've been thinking of a smaller crank pulley, except the one from CV (made in USA) for about 67 bucks. And you are spot on, I'm going to play with shift points, but right now I'm shifting by ear (and somewhat where the speedometer is, no tach yet)..... keep in mind, right now I'm only shifting it once as I cross the line in 2nd gear with my 2.45's. :D
I'll leave the alternator plugged in, because that's normal driving condition. I've also been thinking of a clutch fan instead of the direct fan.....
And your exactly right, I only made 1 pass after the carb change. I need more passes.

Clutch fan is worth a tenth. Just watch a video of dyno test for fans! You won't believe the HP. Over 20 hp from ridgid fan to thermo fan.

Someone I know tried running w/o the alt. & it slowed down, spark energy suffered....................

'76 Duster, 2.45 gears, P235/60r15 tires, stock 904 and stock converter, stock exhaust manifolds with duals, stock low compression 360 long block (yes, stock heads) that I added a 4bbl (600 eddy/Action plus intake) and .427/.454 lift cam 204*@.050. (less than a stock 340 cam). I was impressed. It did better than I thought it would.

View attachment 1715079456
Dude, once again I think you are the solution to one of my problems!! I am learning the hard way that you CANNOT put 3.55 gears and SureGrip in a 2.45 case. It looks like to me the pinion is raised in the case so that large diameter pinion will fit, and so it is too high to pattern well with the lower gearset. So the tooth pattern is weird and the end result is it's noisy.
You are running the same size tire Dany and I are running, with the same trans set up.
Any guess how fast its turning thru the traps in 2nd? I saw you don't have a tach. I dont know the ratio for 2nd , but I'll bet if i had it there is a mathematical way to find out.
I mean its like you have a Powerglide on the track and 3rd gear to drive home!! Genius!!
I assume it's an open diff, any traction problems? I'm thinking I may just throw the original 2.45's back in it and try it..

-
Back