Random pictures thread

-
not doing it right

gasup.jpg

How do I make a 20 minute job (according to YouTube mechanics) take 3 hrs? I do it myself.

I have about a 30 yr old Stihl 021 chainsaw that has NEVER started well. Stashed it in a shed about 4 yrs ago and got a Husqvarna. Best idea ever.

Recently, a friend of mine that has done a lot of small engine and chainsaw work told me to go online, buy a cheap carb (all made in China), and that would solve the problem. I took his advice. $17 with taxes to my door.

And I still had hell starting it. I am hoping that was just a function of needing to get fresh fuel through everything. Letting it cool down so I can try starting it again. Photos show the start, parts removed and new parts installed. Only two nuts on studs hold it all in. BTW, the new air filter does not fit. Had to use old one. And the original Stihl carb - made by Walbro (China)…

Photos appear not to load in logical order.
IMG_7572.jpeg

IMG_7569.jpeg

IMG_7573.jpeg

IMG_7575.jpeg

Before I left my last job, I got a crash course in fiber termination, just in case.

That looks like splicing, though.
Yep, Fusion splicing glass in the middle of the forest. Fiber run from #1 Son's to my place, 2500 feet. Mice ate thru it on Friday night. He picked up this fusion splice for a 100 bucks about 5 years ago! Probably 10K when they were new and still usually sell for $1500 or so now. It'll run off a good booster pack deep in the forest! LOL 36F today... that's my hand warming up the glass on a flashlight so it can't be stripped without shattering.
20231022_135121.jpg

Yep, Fusion splicing glass in the middle of the forest. Fiber run from #1 Son's to my place, 2500 feet. Mice ate thru it on Friday night. He picked up this fusion splice for a 100 bucks about 5 years ago! Probably 10K when they were new and still usually sell for $1500 or so now. It'll run off a good booster pack deep in the forest! LOL 36F today... that's my hand warming up the glass on a flashlight so it can't be stripped without shattering.
View attachment 1716157079
It's a lot more fun at 2 o'clock in the morning. BTW. Squirt wasp spray on the fiber, it will slow the mice down on the chewing. Craig

How do I make a 20 minute job (according to YouTube mechanics) take 3 hrs? I do it myself.

I have about a 30 yr old Stihl 021 chainsaw that has NEVER started well. Stashed it in a shed about 4 yrs ago and got a Husqvarna. Best idea ever.

Recently, a friend of mine that has done a lot of small engine and chainsaw work told me to go online, buy a cheap carb (all made in China), and that would solve the problem. I took his advice. $17 with taxes to my door.

And I still had hell starting it. I am hoping that was just a function of needing to get fresh fuel through everything. Letting it cool down so I can try starting it again. Photos show the start, parts removed and new parts installed. Only two nuts on studs hold it all in. BTW, the new air filter does not fit. Had to use old one. And the original Stihl carb - made by Walbro (China)…

View attachment 1716156955

View attachment 1716156956

View attachment 1716156957

View attachment 1716156958
I just went through the same ordeal, but mine was because a tree fell on my Stihl and broke the handle. Long story...

Question: Does your choke work properly?

Feel free to drop me a PM, if you think it will help. I have pictures of mine (at home), and maybe I can be of some assistance.

I did that on a weedwhacker and never did get it to run right afterward.

I since learned that many times when one won't start or run right you should remove the bowl and clean the jet. No need for a new carb.

Had a similar thing with my generator. Don't know how the chunks made it into the fuel bowl, but a wire through the jet made it run just fine.

View attachment 1716156955

View attachment 1716156956

View attachment 1716156957

View attachment 1716156958
When you do get it running properly again, consider only using gasoline in it that has no ethanol! Not sure if that exists in your area? The ethanol will gum up the small passage ways in the carb compared to gas that doesn’t have any. Not a big deal in a daily driver but in equipment that sits for many months over the winter, the ethanol causes long term problems.

-
Back