Random pictures thread

-
1724098407781.png

Nope! And not just because it's a Ford on a Mopar site.

I ran across an episode of Top Gear America the other night where they tested a TRX, and it got me to thinking: Here in these days of cheap and easy HP (relatively speaking), it's not all that uncommon to put a bazillion HP into something that, in my opinion, just doesn't make any sense. Don't get me wrong, as it would be really fun to have 800 HP in a truck....for a while. But what happens after the novelty wears off, like....in a month or so? How often would it get used? Honestly?

And with the aviability of aftermarket bolt-ons, where does it end? 1,000 HP? 1,500 HP?

Anyway, why am I feeling this way? I have two old trucks that I tinker with (a '67 and a '68), and up until recently I was thinking about putting the biggest, baddest, loudest, and strongest (i.e., highest HP) V8 in them that I could afford. But I already have an 8 MPG truck that I hardly ever drive because of gas prices....

Also, ever owned an El Camino or Ranchero? "Best of both worlds", you say? I've owned both, and in my opinion when you ask something to do two things (be a car and a truck), it fails at both.

So back to this "thing" above. Sure, it might be fun for a while, but then what?

I've decided my '67 will be going up for sale next spring, and my '68 is going to get a "sensibly sized" EFI V8 crate motor with overdrive....so I can drive the damn thing! (What a concept!)

Yeah, I'm getting old & cranky, but so what?

Last edited:
and maybe that is why you see these newer vehicles for sale with relatively low mileage on them after a short period of time. Novelty wears off or the true cost of ownership hits home.Yeah, I'd love to have a 500hp plus daily driver something or other but, where can you use it driving around town and I'm spoiled with 24+ MPG with the daily driver. Agree with last statement, but I've always been cranky.

and maybe that is why you see these newer vehicles for sale with relatively low mileage on them after a short period of time. Novelty wears off or the true cost of ownership hits home.Yeah, I'd love to have a 500hp plus daily driver something or other but, where can you use it driving around town and I'm spoiled with 24+ MPG with the daily driver. Agree with last statement, but I've always been cranky.
We went Mustang shopping at one point. Had the money for a Shelby, but couldn't convince myself it made sense from any standpoint besides socking it away and never using it. Ditto Camaros, Challengers, etc. Even in low-po configurations they're just not that user-friendly.

We went Mustang shopping at one point. Had the money for a Shelby, but couldn't convince myself it made sense from any standpoint besides socking it away and never using it. Ditto Camaros, Challengers, etc. Even in low-po configurations they're just not that user-friendly.
agree, I'm not teens/early twenties any more. they are not daily drivers. I like a vehicle I sit upright in and look down toward rear bumpers, not up at them. 'sides, it's easier to get in and out. The 78 Datsun Z was fun to drive, but even in my 30's, I had to roll out of the car getting out.

Part of the reason I'm not an E body guy.

I likes me a useable back seat.

but even in my 30's, I had to roll out of the car getting out.

Don't laugh, but about 12-13 years ago my brother found a rolled (wrecked) C6 Corvette in northern Illinois, and I was divorced and driving a Honda Accord coupe at the time. Turns out the Accord and Corvette have the same track width, and the wheelbase is only 4-5" difference (I forget). One night while having a few (too many?) beers at his place, both of us got to thinking about what it would take to make a RWD Accord based on a Corvette chassis, but the idea soon died on the vine, as both of us have bad knees, and getting in and out of that Accord was a PITA.

Though I have to say a 392 Challenger which is close to 500 HP does get mid 20's and up on the highway.

-
Back