Random pictures thread

-
It was a nice warm day and I decided to put a fresh coat of paint on one of the garden benches.

I started sanding on the front leg and it crumbled to pieces. There were no external signs of damage, the paint wasn’t even cracked.

Dry rot strikes again.

The rot goes nearly all the way through. I started probing the rest of the bench and there is so much of it in other places that it’s not salvageable.

Even though we had been sitting on it regularly and it seemed fine, it was probably only a few weeks away from a structural collapse. Glad I found it this way and not having it fail under someone sitting on it.

I can’t complain too much, we got 8 years out of that bench and it was outdoors 24/7 365 days a year.

Time for a new bench.

A6B5E5E3-1981-497B-93D6-18D8D35E887F.jpeg

Last edited:
Same cam by the pear tree last night. Annual visitor returns.
View attachment 1716318415
Nice! We have a small family (?) of fox living in a den on the hill opposite "The Bowl" in the backyard. They're a little hard to catch on the cameras, as they keep moving and don't just "hang-out" near the den, but we manage to get a picture or two every now & then....

Now deer, on the other hand: Heck, they're all over the place this time of year! Which makes sense, I guess, considering our development is called Deer Haven on all of the official Gov't docs (legal description, plots, etc).

Nice! We have a small family (?) of fox living in a den on the hill opposite "The Bowl" in the backyard. They're a little hard to catch on the cameras, as they keep moving and don't just "hang-out" near the den, but we manage to get a picture or two every now & then....

Now deer, on the other hand: Heck, they're all over the place this time of year! Which makes sense, I guess, considering our development is called Deer Haven on all of the official Gov't docs (legal description, plots, etc).
The fox only starts coming around every fall. Started hearing him bark a few weeks ago.

Started hearing him bark a few weeks ago.

Just reminded me: At our previous place we had a pretty secluded backyard, and a local fox used to take naps in our backyard during the day, as there were few predators to speak of. We have some cute pics on our computer at home, otherwise I'd post one or two.

Anyway, one day I was walking around the house and when I came around the corner I startled the snoozing fox. Don't know who was more scared: him/it, or me, but when it/him barked at me from about 15 feet away I stopped and s-l-o-w-l-y backed away....

Just reminded me: At our previous place we had a pretty secluded backyard, and a local fox used to take naps in our backyard during the day, as there were few predators to speak of. We have some cute pics on our computer at home, otherwise I'd post one or two.

Anyway, one day I was walking around the house and when I came around the corner I startled the snoozing fox. Don't know who was more scared: him/it, or me, but when it/him barked at me from about 15 feet away I s-l-o-w-l-y backed away....
My mother used to live on a small acreage about 1/4 mile from the east shore of Lake Winnipeg. She was there for about 22 years and had a couple families of foxes that would hang around her Koi pond in the fall. Lots of pictures of the young ones, they seemed to come back year after year. Surprising because she always had at least 3 very big dogs in the house. She had plenty of wildlife come around there, bears, deer, wolves, coyotes, etc. I would love to have bought the place when she sold it bit I was going through a nasty divorce at the time.

Surprising because she always had at least 3 very big dogs in the house.
Yeah, our two dogs don't seem to scare-off the fox(es), and they (the dogs) have somewhat gotten used to having fox smells around the yard. Odd, huh?

She had plenty of wildlife come around there, bears, deer, wolves, coyotes, etc.
We've seen all of the above at our place, but no wolves, thankfully! Neither my wfe nor I would be scared to have them around, but I don't think the dogs would fare too well against them.

I would love to have bought the place when she sold it bit I was going through a nasty divorce at the time.
I have a somewhat similar history, but it also includes two '69 Mustangs, two Lund boats, and a bunch of High End audio gear.

Oh, well. "Water under the bridge", I guess.

-
Back