Rare Cars that you didn't buy

-
Some of these stories are getting a bit ridiculous. Most of the time I can just ignore it but I really have to say something in this case.

(1) Shelby had walked away from any involvement with Ford well before 1970.

(2) Cobra and GT were two different trim levels of the Torino.

(3) The 427 sohc was old news by that point, still available over the parts counter but not experimented with in production cars by 1970. A street trim 1964 Galaxy with sohc 427 power was built in an attempt to prove to Nascar that it could be a production engine, but that attempt failed as it was banned anyway. By 1966 the cammer was viewed by Ford as a failed experiment to dominate Nascar, and the drag race guys got all of them to themselves.

By 1970 the Boss 429 was everyone's focus as it had a chance to beat the Hemi and be considered a legitimate production engine. IF a sohc 427 '70 Torino was ever built by someone connected to Ford, it was a one time deal as a special request. Alot of sohc 427 powered cars were built in the '60s and '70s by private owners and speed shops. If this car was what you say it was (and I really doubt it), then it may have been a custom built when it was still a fairly new car.

(4) Assuming your '98 Ranger was fairly new at the time, I could see someone wanting to trade a '70 Torino for it IF it had something in it other than a 427 sohc. The 427 sohc engine is much rarer than the 426 hemi, in my opinion more valuable, and most likely by the late '90s the engine alone is worth more than a '98 Ranger.

it was a white and black car and i honestly have no idea if it really was a "sohc"er (i was 16 and didnt know much on ford at that time) i know it said cobra all over it and was farkin quick the guy told me it was a "shelby cobra torino gt,btw in 1970 shelby was still with ford, and before you try and say cobra torino gt dont exist here is the nadahttp://http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1970&m=1065&d=6670&c=11&o=13596~37342~13601~13603&vi=72075&z=87112&da=-1 and i know of three in town two have 429ci in them so there is a good chance that is what the car i was looking at had in it. and my ranger was nice. the guy selling was hard up on cash and coulnd afford ins and gas on the torino that is why he wanted to trade plus cash.in case you are wondering my parents had bought me the truck and told me if i traded it for"some old pos muscle car" i was getting kicked out :(

so next time you question stuff do your reserch first:joker:
and before you think i am takin shots at you,your actually one of my favorite posters cause of this i like that you question things.

1970 Dart R/T with one of them there 440 Hemis in it.Only 10,000 last year..
LOL.... Jim

it was a white and black car and i honestly have no idea if it really was a "sohc"er (i was 16 and didnt know much on ford at that time) i know it said cobra all over it and was farkin quick the guy told me it was a "shelby cobra torino gt,btw in 1970 shelby was still with ford, and before you try and say cobra torino gt dont exist here is the nadahttp://http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1970&m=1065&d=6670&c=11&o=13596~37342~13601~13603&vi=72075&z=87112&da=-1 and i know of three in town two have 429ci in them so there is a good chance that is what the car i was looking at had in it. and my ranger was nice. the guy selling was hard up on cash and coulnd afford ins and gas on the torino that is why he wanted to trade plus cash.in case you are wondering my parents had bought me the truck and told me if i traded it for"some old pos muscle car" i was getting kicked out :(

and before you think i am takin shots at you,your actually one of my favorite posters cause of this i like that you question things.

Probably was a 429 car, I had a 69 Galaxie with that engine.

Well, I don't know how rare it was but back in the early 90s I was offered a '69 Charger R/T SE for $2,500. It was a 440 automatic with a 3.55 posi, B5 blue over blue interior with a white top and white bumblebee stripe. It was fully loaded with A/C and everything else. I didn't take it because it was so rusted that you would have thought it had been waist deep in a swamp since birth, it was missing a lot of trim and interior stuff, and when you looked at it you noticed that the driver's side rear tire was where it was supposed to be but the passenger side one was a few inches too far in. Upon closer inspection it became obvious that some NITWIT had put a spring relocation kit on only one side of the car and put an A body rear in it which was too short and too far to one side. No thanks.

Some of these stories are getting a bit ridiculous. Most of the time I can just ignore it but I really have to say something in this case.

(1) Shelby had walked away from any involvement with Ford well before 1970.

(2) Cobra and GT were two different trim levels of the Torino.

(3) The 427 sohc was old news by that point, still available over the parts counter but not experimented with in production cars by 1970. A street trim 1964 Galaxy with sohc 427 power was built in an attempt to prove to Nascar that it could be a production engine, but that attempt failed as it was banned anyway. By 1966 the cammer was viewed by Ford as a failed experiment to dominate Nascar, and the drag race guys got all of them to themselves.

By 1970 the Boss 429 was everyone's focus as it had a chance to beat the Hemi and be considered a legitimate production engine. IF a sohc 427 '70 Torino was ever built by someone connected to Ford, it was a one time deal as a special request. Alot of sohc 427 powered cars were built in the '60s and '70s by private owners and speed shops. If this car was what you say it was (and I really doubt it), then it may have been a custom built when it was still a fairly new car.
Correct on all counts. Shelby stopped production after the 1967 model year. He was tired of the politics at Ford and did not like the "fat" cars they wanted to build with big blocks and A/C. For 1968 Ford moved the whole operation to Dearborn and took over. Shelby was still in the press photos but that was about it. There actually were no 1970 Shelbys built. The "1970" Shelbys were leftover '69s that were re-titled as '70s and got some stripes painted on them. Shelby never had anything to do with any Torino.

The only one I lost out on was my grandfather's 1970 Mach 1, Grabber blue. It was stolen in 1975 and recovered and he soon traded it in, unfortunatly i was only 11 at the time.

In 1984 I didn't have the $2000.00 or I could have bought a friend's brothers 1971 Heavy Chevy Chevelle, orange with a 4 speed.

Deals I got that I wish I still had, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang 390cid I bought for $3000.00, 1972 Chevy Malibu for $100.00, 1975 Formula Firebird $1500.00, 1973 Vega with 350 V-8 for $1200.00, 1956 Chevy Hot Rod for $4000.00, Ah well...I Kept my 1971 Duster 340 Sassy Grass Green, V24 wedge, J81 GO-wing, for $3000.00 in 1993..

In '93 I had a motor built by a Mopar racer in Md. who had a 1964 Dodge 330 Max Wedge Lightweight car with the factory aluminum fenders and plexiglass windows and such for $7k. I think it was one of 55 lightweight factory Max wedge cars built (Dodge and Plymouth combined). Car had been slightly damaged by a car that burned about 10 feet away. Just messed up the paint. Was campaigned by a legendary racer who I can't think of right now. I still kick myself for not buying it!

well here is one that i should have kicked my dad in the ARSE for selling....65 389 GTO. man

my dad almost bought a 67 hemi in 1980 for 2000 i think... I heard it was a 2 door, red gtx with buckets and a console... other than that i bought the best car i could find, a 74 duster 49000 miles, 198 w/ perfect bucket seats and console for 3500 last june

In 1981 - '70 Super Bee, awesome Sublime paint, black vinyl roof, black interior, 440/4spd, - $3500. I was a chevy freak back then and didn't care about Mopars. :sign6:

in 2001 , 68 dodge charger 440 true , r/t se .. god i wanted it so bad but i was 16 /17 and i started working to buy the car .. but even with my parents or grand parents all the banks refused me ( the car 18 000 $ ) ! i bought a 318 4 speed cuda 1974 , 6 months after ,, for 4 k

One I forgot 1973 Road Runner Gun Metal Gray,400,Hemi 4 speed car $600.00 in 1987.It was my buddies Dads car it was rust free and he owned it since 1976. Jim

Well my dad bought the hemi roadrunner we have and we still have that... not really a racecar though. But he went to a dealership and looked at a book for the 1968 Hemi Barracudas and decided that he needed a street car and passed it up. He wishes he would have bought one to race anyway.

As for me... I havent had a chance yet... kinda hard with a part time job and highschool, haha

on the same day I lined up a trade for my 90 model dakota 2wd for a 58 2 door desoto #2 or high 3 condition 3spd auto was gonna get it for the truck and $1000 in 97 I was in school and knew the punks would have messed it up guy begged me to take a 71 demon red w/black stripe kit 340 4spd car for the same trade and I wanted nothing to do with it then If you need me I am going to go kick my self some more

There was a recession on and the only job I had was working at a car lot for what ever they had for me to do. They had a 67 GTX w/426 Himi/4 spd. that they had sold 3 times but had been returned because the insurance companies had refused to cover. I was really hot for the car and the manager told me one day that if I could come up with $500 I could buy it but with no returns. I didn't have the money and begged for loans. No sale.
Several years later I ran across a 39 Chevy PU on a farm. I had the money but made the mistake of asking my wife. She said NO!...... The farmer told me he would take the battery out of his tractor and let me drive it before I bought it. I waited about a month and decided I was going to go get it anyway. When I got there, he said he had sold it 3 days before. Price? $800. Surface rust only and the glass had started to turn white.
Moral? Trust your instincts.

Yep, 1968 factory Super Stock Hemi Cuda. this was in 1980, asking price $2500.00. I had just got married, & had no money (still don't). My dad offered to loan me the money, but I refused, telling him that if I ever needed to borrow money, it would be something I needed. Sometimes its hard to stand up & do the right thing. Though, looking back, I should have borrowed the cash!

Right with ya Mike: Passed up an original (and uncut at the time) 1968 SS/A Hemi Dart, with a spare long block for $4500 in 1978. I was bringing home $785 a month in the Air Force. Might as well been a million dollars.

Unless it was a Boss 429......those things could almost pass as a cammer with those crazy valve covers!

Right with ya Mike: Passed up an original (and uncut at the time) 1968 SS/A Hemi Dart, with a spare long block for $4500 in 1978. I was bringing home $785 a month in the Air Force. Might as well been a million dollars.

I know what you mean about it "might as well been a million dollars", it seems like the proverbial carrot being dangled, they`re always just out of reach!

68 or 69 javilin sst with a 360 white with black stripes 1200 bucks
then there was a 69 torino cobra 428 scj 4spd car minus the motor it was just painted red with black interior and rechromed bumpers 2000 bucks
then a 69 chevelle malibu black on black cloned to a ss blown motor brother was going to give it to me cause the buyer didnt come up with the rest of the money i was so excited i made the mistake and told dad he told me he'd put sugar in the gas tank! i told him it was already blown up he said it didnt matter those cars where when i was under the age of 20 then there was a nice 68 gts dart 340 auto green with black interior for 5 grand but the credit union wouldnt help then i moved to georgia and came across a 64 dodge 330 sedan 426 max wedge aluminum front end car faded white with blue interior all there and the old lady that owned it said that it was her late husbands car and it had been sitting in that same spot for who knows how long and probillay wasnt worth much i told her that i could give her 2000 for it the next day she said okay couldnt sleep much that night called into work the next day went to the bank got my money and went there just in time seeing the car being loaded onto a trailer so i was like what the hell come to find out she told her son about me buying the car so he did some research on the car and found out what it was really worth........ doh should have bought it the night before then there was a 68 gtx green on green no motor or trans for 700 bucks from a friend of mine it was at the old owners house that he bought it from i got the money and we went there to get it to find out it was stolen the old owner thought it was us acouple days ago with a rollback truck so he didnt get involved plus he was on his tractor in the field then in florida i came across another awesome deal 71 cuda 340 4spd plum crazy black interior car had poor body work to it and looked like a grenade went off in the interior but was solid no rust and the 340 and trans were numbers matching and built to the max mean sounding the reason why he was selling was he didnt have no place to put it he just got it shipped down there from his mothers house in minesota about a week later got divorce papers handed to him he knew i was into mopars and told me he was comfortable selling it to me for 5 grand !!! well i burnt up the phone trying to get the funds for it but couldnt so i told another guy about it and got a pretty good finders fee and got to drive it from the sellers house to his which was only 4 blocks away! the guy was baffled why he didnt see it cause he drove by that place all the time to and from work i found him another one a month later 70 roadrunner 383 4spd car burnt orange with black interior ruff but complete 1200 bucks wife wouldnt let me get it even though it was what she was looking for because my dart wasnt done yet ARGHHHHHHHH told the guy about it and he got that one too why cant these cars be cheaper to fix lol

1970 SuperBird, White black interior 440 Automatic. Owner wanted $2500. I had the owner take it up to the local gas station for a Maryland inspection.
Wouldn't pass because no front bumpers. Then I passed on the car because of that. For me back in '83 I was working as a carpenter I drove an old 67 Dodge telephone van - dead frog green - Didn't own a house let alone a garage to store it but I always want one. Kicked myself in the butt many times for passing on that.

GregH

197? Chevrolet factory South African Rally car. It was a normal looking small Euro chevy 4cyl car, cant remember what badge it had (maybe opel) , but it had a 302 Z-28 motor shoehorned in it, chevy plaques under the hood calling out all sorts of non warranty parts, and a 4 sp. It was $5k but I didnt have that much fun cash laying around.

1972 (?) Challenger TA, running unmolested 6 pack, $1500 back in 1991

GTO, the year with the lights over each other (64?) with the 389 (or whatever the stock GTO motor was) with a 4 speed. It was going to be my very first car, but my dad didnt think my 135lb body could push in the 1800lb clutch! I agreed, and Im still here today because I never got that car, probably would have wrecked it anyway. $1800 back in '85 So I ended up getting a '72 35hp Honda AN600 sedan....Hahaha!

1965 Formula "S" Barracuda, all stock, warehoused for 15 years, 800 bucks..oh yeah, I bought that one!

-
Back