Rattle inside driveshaft

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
I have an e-body driveshaft that I am going to use on an a-body conversion, but it has a rattle inside that slides from end to end when tipped. I cut it open and found a steel sleeve almost 3in x 8in. What is it and is it needed. Everyone I have asked have said it should not be there. Does anyone in here have a clue. Thanks

i think that is from one of the things the workers at chry.did to drive the dealers crazy back in the 70s they had allot of different things like this happen wen they didn't get there raises they wanted i never herd of this thou.i have herd of extra bolts in rear ends or letting bolts lose in motors and rears all kinds of different thing maybe some one else can tell you more.

i always wondered if that stuff was true. my grand dad bought a plymouth wagon, dont remember the model, and after having it for a while it started to stink real bad. took it back to the dealer and they found a few lunch bags in the bottoms of the doors....

I did forget to mention that i used this driveshaft in my 73 challenger before it burned up in my garage and it did not rattle then. A lot of black powder came out of the shaft when I cut it open. Could the steel sleeve had been rubber coated and put inside to absorbe vibration???

ya i guess that could have been to take out the harmonics...but I still wouldn,t put past some one to do what I side in my last thraed..

Some of those driveshafts had rubber (well maybe not real rubber) and steel harmonic dampers in them at one end or the other. The fire destroyed the mount, (the black powder) and now the inner sleeve was just floating free.

Thanks for the insight, Iguess i'll weld it back together and let er rip. probably wouldn't hurt to get it rebalanced also. thanks

-
Back