Ready to install windshields, any suggestions

-
I would use new rubber seals unless you can take the old ones and bend them double without any cracking all the way around them.I use a little WD-40 for a lubricant and a thin sciem of silicon for extra insurance I would not use the urethane god help you if you have to take it back out.I use that for sealing wheel tubes and putting on hood scoops wen it gets hard its there to stay and use the plastic spoons as stated above and if you have to tap it down use the flat of your hand.no sharp hard tools.after its in slap it with your hand all around to help seat it in..and its good to have a helper.....or find a man running around in one of them glass vans and offer them a little money on the side to come buy and put it in..that's my 2 cents worth........Artie

Yes, my car has molding clips for the stainless steel trim around the windows

Before we go any further I just want to let you know I work at a auto glass center and we deal with old cars as well as new ones. I have recently installed the windshield and back glass in my 67 cuda.

OK I know what you have now. Do you have all the clips on the car? Are the clips in good condition? The reason I ask about the clips is because they need to be installed before the glass goes into the car. What you need to do is test fit your trim and see how its going to "lay". You might have to bend the trim a little for it to lay correctly because whoever took it off might have warped it up.

The gaskets that you are using are they new or old ones? It is much easier installation with new gaskets because the rubber has not gotten hard over time so therefore it is flexible. If you're using the old ones just beware that you will use profane language. lol

You will use a rope on the windshield and back glass. It can be done without roping but it is much simpler job with the rope. I don't know about you but I'm all about making something simple.

I had a professional come to my house for my 76. We tried roping it in with no success. He left and I was frustrated, so later that evening I tried popping the gasket on the car, then laying the glass into it (working around it slowly with a plastic glass tool.) i did put some adhesive in places , but used it very sparingly. thats how I installed mine. I had never done it before and found it to be a miserable job, but I was happy to finally have it done.

I had a professional come to my house for my 76. We tried roping it in with no success. He left and I was frustrated, so later that evening I tried popping the gasket on the car, then laying the glass into it (working around it slowly with a plastic glass tool.) i did put some adhesive in places , but used it very sparingly. thats how I installed mine. I had never done it before and found it to be a miserable job, but I was happy to finally have it done.

He didnt sound like a professional to me. Did he even act like he wanted to do the job? We have seen it more than once. Someone will give us a call because the other glass company didn't want to or "couldnt install" it. Another thing is they dont want to be liable because it might leak or start leaking. I will tell you this there really needs to be three people to rope one in. One on each side of the car applying pressure and one inside the car pulling the rope. Two people can do it but the person's job on the outside is just as important as the one on inside pulling the rope.

I have new molding clips and new gaskets. I spoke with one local glass company and they will install it but no liability for leaks or broken glass. So I figured I might as well do it myself. Plus they put a high quote on it, in my opinion to deter me away.

I have new molding clips and new gaskets. I spoke with one local glass company and they will install it but no liability for leaks or broken glass. So I figured I might as well do it myself. Plus they put a high quote on it, in my opinion to deter me away.
that would tell me they dont wont to or know whow to find another co. or try it your self..........Artie

If we buy the glass then we are liable for the glass if it breaks going in. If you buy the glass and it breaks going it we arent liable for the glass. If the glass leaks even if its your glass we will be liable for the leak. Either way you wouldn't have to worry about it leaking.

It has gotten where we are the only ones that will work with old glass in our area. That's why we have a lot full of old cars waiting for there glass to be installed. On top of that my boss gives them a quote and the first thing that comes out of the customers mouth is "When can I bring it in?" lol

I am willing to help you if you decide to do it yourself but it's a difficult job trying to tell you how to do it over the internet. :D

that would tell me they dont wont to or know whow to find another co. or try it your self..........Artie

That's what it sounds like.

i worked in an auto glass shop also. i think the key to roping glass in is to have a well lubricated rope, not dripping wet but oily enough to not get hung-up on anything when pulling the rope. having said that, roping should be fairly easy with the front glass since there aren't any really sharp corners to go around. not so easy with the back however. i roped in my valiant backlite the first time and it was a real *****, even tore the gasket in one spot. the dart's backlite has an even sharper corner (the bottom corners). the next time i used the plastic paddles for the install and it went very well, not easy, but easier than roping and a bit more time consuming. -pauly

i worked in an auto glass shop also. i think the key to roping glass in is to have a well lubricated rope, not dripping wet but oily enough to not get hung-up on anything when pulling the rope. having said that, roping should be fairly easy with the front glass since there aren't any really sharp corners to go around. not so easy with the back however. i roped in my valiant backlite the first time and it was a real *****, even tore the gasket in one spot. the dart's backlite has an even sharper corner (the bottom corners). the next time i used the plastic paddles for the install and it went very well, not easy, but easier than roping and a bit more time consuming. -pauly

Yep need to be very careful in the corners. We use a hook tool to pull on the gasket a little in the corners so it wont be so tight pulling the rope out. We soak the pinch weld and the gasket mounted on the glass right before setting the glass in the hole. The glass cleaner we use is in spray cans and more like a glass cleaner/lubricate made by Dow. We use such cups on the outside of the glass to pull downward seating the glass which makes the roper easier to pull out across the top. We also "tap" the glass with our hands in a cupped fashion. This prevents glass breakage instead of using our hands in a flat fashion. I believe if you know the proper ways and tricks to install the glass using a rope it isn't really that bad.

If you have chrome trim, make sure you use all new clip fasteners.

This is what I was going to tell you to do.... I didn't do this and now I have to take both of mine out and get new clips.

I have new molding clips and new gaskets.

Right here you told us that you have this done. I'll be no help after this, I'm gonna keep reading though I want to see how it comes out and what method you end up going with. Best of luck to you.

Using improper size rope can cause grief going in as well and may damage the gasket. It doesn't have to be that big. We have used weed eater line and 12ga wire at times with Fleetliner windshields.

Don't use the rope-in method, it works for some cars but isn't easy or nessessary on A-bodies.
Get a couple of these install sticks, place the gasket in car first, then place the glass in the lower gasket channel and carefully work the glass into the remainder of the gasket with the sticks. use a little spit if you want to make it a little easier to draw the tools through the gasket/glass.
Use a small bead of windshield sealer on the gasket/pinchweld joint if you must, making sure you only seal the top and sides. leave the bottom alone, if water does get in there it needs a place to get out.
Method is the same for front and back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5647e9c22c&vxp=mtr

Thanks pauly and mullinax. I got the rear windshield into my Duster this way. I used some armor all type stuff as a lubricant. I do have a couple of questions; 1) from the inside the gasket looks a little rumpled on the sides, is this a problem? and 2) the glass in one of the lower corners is not sitting in the gasket as well as the rest of the glass.
Oh yeah, Eastwood sells a little set of plastic trim tools similar to what pauly had.

This is probably implicit in getting the windshield, but my experience has led me to believe otherwise.

First, make sure the glass you have is appropriate for the car. My 74 Dart sedan took 6 months to get glass because people only ever kept the windshield for the 2 door in stock. The two door is neither high nor wide enough. The same goes for the gasket.

Other than that, I've never put glass in. My company came out and did it.

-
Back