REALLY? BROKEN FLYWHEEL?

-
I asked for him to cut you a break on the price because if they had inspected the flex plate correctly they could have identified the problem in advance???
Yep, but I think that if the trans is shot that it or the installation broke the flywheel. I assume they will maintain otherwise, but why would they replace the trans under warranty if it wasn't their fault?

Yep, but I think that if the trans is shot that it or the installation broke the flywheel. I assume they will maintain otherwise, but why would they replace the trans under warranty if it wasn't their fault?
Maybe they have a guilty conscious about the flex plate?? $1104.00 seems kind of high for R & R plus a flywheel??? I'd call around to a few other trans shops and ask what they charge for R & R just for comparison. If someone else can do it cheaper pick up your new trans and take it somewhere else for replacement>

Last edited:
Local Ford dealer says no known issues with those flexplates. I do a lot of those A4LD and 5R55E and I have never heard of that problem. A small claims judge would side with you since it was only two months and 5,000 miles. I bet the bell housing bolts were loose.
This is the flex plate /flywheel , they also replaced the pump, converter and transmission. They charged me for the RnR, flywheel and pump. $1104., trans replaced under warranty .
Any thoughts anyone?

Screenshot_2019-01-17-06-33-24.png

This is the flex plate /flywheel , they also replaced the pump, converter and transmission. They charged me for the RnR, flywheel and pump. $1104., trans replaced under warranty .
Any thoughts anyone?

View attachment 1715276643
I think I see a hairline crack in that thing, but it's still usable???/ Seriously, what the hell happened!! Catastrophic failure!!!!!!!

My thoughts are the party's over unless you want to go to small claims. Question..Why are they replacing the trans for free if it's not their fault? Because they're soaking you for $1100; that's why. See, the real wonderment is; why was the trans leaking? Probably because the bell housing bolts were never tightened up; causing the front seal to leak; partly because the seal was then off center, and partly because the pump bushing was trashing. And that's when your pump bushing went; not when the flexplate broke. And the loose bolts caused a misalignment of the converter to the flexplate; causing the flexplate to "flex" with every revolution; snap.

My thoughts are the party's over unless you want to go to small claims. Question..Why are they replacing the trans for free if it's not their fault? Because they're soaking you for $1100; that's why. See, the real wonderment is; why was the trans leaking? Probably because the bell housing bolts were never tightened up; causing the front seal to leak; partly because the seal was then off center, and partly because the pump bushing was trashing. And that's when your pump bushing went; not when the flexplate broke. And the loose bolts caused a misalignment of the converter to the flexplate; causing the flexplate to "flex" with every revolution; snap.
The company I worked for before retiring had for the A4LD, exchange bell housings. At a transmission seminar years back, it was pointed out that the A4LD pump bushing in the bell housing was align bored at the factory and just replacing the bushing could lead to problems. We first started out by just doing the customers bell housing, as we had the equipment do to this , but had such a strong response for this service, we ended up getting the various types of bell housings, replacing/line boring the bushing and having exchange bell housings on the shelf.

The company I worked for before retiring had for the A4LD, exchange bell housings. At a transmission seminar years back, it was pointed out that the A4LD pump bushing in the bell housing was align bored at the factory and just replacing the bushing could lead to problems. We first started out by just doing the customers bell housing, as we had the equipment do to this , but had such a strong response for this service, we ended up getting the various types of bell housings, replacing/line boring the bushing and having exchange bell housings on the shelf.
Interesting, mines a 5R55E tranny, wondering if the same thing is going on. Now that the 3rd one's in, I notice a harshness/vibration on take off, could be u joints though.

I think your assessment is spot on! The day it let loose it was pouring down rain and I had I towed in, now that I have it back, the underside of the truck looks like an explosion of tranny fluid, not old and grimey, but fresh and clean.

Interesting, mines a 5R55E tranny, wondering if the same thing is going on. Now that the 3rd one's in, I notice a harshness/vibration on take off, could be u joints though.
All these series of transmissions, A4LD, 4R44E/55E, 5R44E, 5R55E use the same bushings. I just got off the phone with the manager of my old place. He told me that that business dropped off about 5 years ago. One reason was a Company called Sonnax no longer made the oversized bushing that allowed the line boring. He also mentioned to me that they haven't had many requests for this service so they no longer do it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck and I hope you get the problem solved.

Pull driveshaft and turn it on the diff flange 90 degrees. Road test.
Repeat. Likely they didnt put it back on the same place when they took it off. I always mark shaft/flange.

12mm12 point. A propane torch helps loosen the threadlocker.

I've been doing the front bushing replacement since they were C3s. I've NEVER seen an off center bushing. I bolt the pump together with the bell housing bolted onto a block with a converter in place. (no flexplate needed).

I've been doing the front bushing replacement since they were C3s. I've NEVER seen an off center bushing. I bolt the pump together with the bell housing bolted onto a block with a converter in place. (no flexplate needed).
Here is the Sonnax part number for the bushing I talking about. The part number is 56001X. Go to the Sonnax website, and it explains why they developed the bushing. I don't know (although it's in their catalog) if they still make it. As I mentioned before, we did a lot of the A4LD bell housing, using this bushing and finishing it in place.

Some posts go so far as to indicate that the id of the hole in the bell is off center and a special jig is needed to recut the center of the bushing off center to align it. Also, I don't see why anybody would keep buying bushings that had the incorrect id. Maybe the first bushings that came out were incorrect id. Plus I've never seen a bushing that was cut off center. It doesn't make sense that Ford would cut the bushing hole off center. Every bushing I ever installed was a perfect fit with no machining. I never had one leak or bind up in the pump. I think that the real common problem is aligning the pump cover on center of the bell. Then to make matters worse, Ford said the pump gears were "powdered metal"...just to make the whole scenario even scarier..

Some posts go so far as to indicate that the id of the hole in the bell is off center and a special jig is needed to recut the center of the bushing off center to align it. Also, I don't see why anybody would keep buying bushings that had the incorrect id. Maybe the first bushings that came out were incorrect id. Plus I've never seen a bushing that was cut off center. It doesn't make sense that Ford would cut the bushing hole off center. Every bushing I ever installed was a perfect fit with no machining. I never had one leak or bind up in the pump. I think that the real common problem is aligning the pump cover on center of the bell. Then to make matters worse, Ford said the pump gears were "powdered metal"...just to make the whole scenario even scarier..
I have another question : if they replaced the trans under warranty shouldn't the pump replacement go along with it?

-
Back