Really??! This really happened??!!!

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Back at getting my '73 Swinger to where i want it to be with big help from fellow members. Thx much Badd440 & Evildart! My budget for this year is now gone, & this weekend with the help of Bad440, I'll be dropping in my new cam, reworked 302 heads & some tuning that has been badly needed. I''m extremely excited.

Being that my budget is now gone for this season, I'm stuck with my stock 318 manifolds, which is the weakest link in my chain now. So trying to make the best of it, I paid a guy to sandblast, prime & paint my manifolds. The guy was introduced to me by a neighbor & he dropped them off today after I got back from the GoodGuys. I was as excited as anyone could be over 318 exhaust manifolds, but on closer inspection, I've been had. They arent blasted, or even cleaned, just primed & painted right over the grease & rust! I can't believe it. It was only $50 but I'm a single father who lives like a cheapskate in order to fulfill my responsibilities & once a year, get working on my Dart. Oh, well, live & learn. Maybe my neighbor will help to track this guy down & set things right. Time will tell. In the mean time, the manifolds need to go back on tomorrow. I'm worse off now than I was with the crappy rusty. greasy 318 manifolds, because now those same crappy, greasy, rusty manifolds are painted... tried to take some picks where I scratched off the paint where the grease & blue paint can be seen. Sorry for bad pics.

Attachments

• jacked 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 342
  • jacked 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 337
  • jacked 3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 330
ehhh,rarely does paint hold up on exhaust manifolds/headers anyhow....even the 1200 degree and above stuff flaked off of my headers after a few run cycles.

chalk it up as a lesson learned and just be glad it was $50 and not more....I know ,$50 is $50 ....but it could have been worse.

I have some beat up Hooker Competition headers off my 318 that you can have for free if you cover the shipping. They are a little rusty and a little dented, but they worked just fine for me. You just can never change the back two plugs! Let me know. Happy to help a fellow FABO member.

I have some beat up Hooker Competition headers off my 318 that you can have for free if you cover the shipping. They are a little rusty and a little dented, but they worked just fine for me. You just can never change the back two plugs! Let me know. Happy to help a fellow FABO member.

Thank you, Mopar. Thats a very generous offer. I've got to reassemble tomorrow so I'll just cut my losses and start saving for the Hedman Short Tubes, which seem to be the right balance of flow, cost & fitment to match my mild build.

I really appreciate the offer. +1 Karma to you.

you would think he would at least clean the greese off them before he burnt you ...sorry this had to happen

that sucks I have had my fair share of getting burned, sucks even more couldnt tell in the pic's but from what you say you could have probably done a better job with a can of paint from the parts store and some dish soap.

Trade ya, I got burned $1,300 for a paint job I could have had my vo-tech trained nephew do for a 12 pack, cost of materials and $200. Gonna leave it as is and if anybody notices the flaws will loudly announce who (shop name, owner, painter, and address)painted it.

Trade ya, I got burned $1,300 for a paint job I could have had my vo-tech trained nephew do for a 12 pack, cost of materials and $200. Gonna leave it as is and if anybody notices the flaws will loudly announce who (shop name, owner, painter, and address)painted it.

No offense but $1300 for paint sounds like you got what you paid for. Have you checked the price of paint lately ?

Like Okla said, shame on me for not inspecting before paying. I got excited & made a rookie mistake. It's been quite a while since I've dealt with anyone who wasn't on the up & up, I got lazy & forgot that they're still out there. The neighbor offered to pay me back out his own pocket, I let him know I wasn't interested in taking his money as all he did was bring the guy over. He didn't broker the deal, he didn't do the work, he didn't burn me. But the guy who did sometimes does work for the neighbor, so i thought it best that the neighbor knew about it. The neighbor is a stand up guy who owns his own body & paint shop. I appreciate him making the gesture to pay but i couldn't penalize a guy who didn't do anything wrong. $50 hurts right now because I'm broke for the moment, but in the grand scheme of things the lesson I was reminded of is probably worth more.

In the mean time I'll keep looking to do the next right thing & keep the bad karma out of my build. I figure fate will pay me back in spades.

I read the title and remembered something along that same exclamation: I removed the jackstands from my rear diff an was lowering the car with the floor jack when I heard something scrape. Too late, the car came down and when I looked, a crate of parts got pushed slightly under the rear fender and it came down on a protruding pinion snubber. It put a mean gash in my nice paint. Really! Are you kidding me!!! >:-O

In the mean time I'll keep looking to do the next right thing & keep the bad karma out of my build. I figure fate will pay me back in spades.

Good attitude. Itll get you back...I once collected 8 cases of Ipod Nano's (when they first came out) from an apartment complex back alley. Seems a UPS truck had hit one too many speed bumps and the cases flew out the back of his truck about 3 minutes before I pulled up! I collected them not even knowing what they were until the last box, where I read the destination was "The Apple Store", evidently one of his next stops as it was right next to a large mall. I thought for about 5 seconds what I could do with all these as Christmas was right around the corner but then it kicked in like a slap in the face: What would happen to the driver losing thousands of nanos? I drove to the Apple store and just missed the driver who was still in the parking lot, I waved him down and gave him back his job, all 8 cases.....he said "Thank, I gotta get that door fixed!" and took off. Boy was that a reality check! 2 months later my company gets sold, I lose my job and am unemployed for 3 months...then God hands me my career job I have now, thank you Lord! Now, about those last 3 months.....? ;-)

Good attitude. Itll get you back...I once collected 8 cases of Ipod Nano's (when they first came out) from an apartment complex back alley. Seems a UPS truck had hit one too many speed bumps and the cases flew out the back of his truck about 3 minutes before I pulled up! I collected them not even knowing what they were until the last box, where I read the destination was "The Apple Store", evidently one of his next stops as it was right next to a large mall. I thought for about 5 seconds what I could do with all these as Christmas was right around the corner but then it kicked in like a slap in the face: What would happen to the driver losing thousands of nanos? I drove to the Apple store and just missed the driver who was still in the parking lot, I waved him down and gave him back his job, all 8 cases.....he said "Thank, I gotta get that door fixed!" and took off. Boy was that a reality check! 2 months later my company gets sold, I lose my job and am unemployed for 3 months...then God hands me my career job I have now, thank you Lord! Now, about those last 3 months.....? ;-)

Way to do the right thing. I only hope I would make the same decision.

-
Back