Rear brake drum problem

-

70-duster

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma, I took a 8.25 rearend out of a 74 dart 4 door and put it in my duster. I was going to replace the rear brake shoes and when I ordered them, they were too small. The 2 sizes I saw are 10x2.5 and 9x2. I measured the rear shows that came off the rearend and they are 10.5x2. Could this rearend be out I something else? Or what year make and model do I need to ask for? I find it hard to believe they used a different rear on a 4 door. Help is appreciated.

I may be wrong,, but I'm pretty sure, for rears, if you've got 10 inch brakes the shoes come in 1 3/4, or 2 1/4 inch. (they only come in 9, 10, and 11 inch )..

Measure across the diameter of the drum, for 10, or 11 in. , then measure the width of the shiny area, your old shoes rubbed on,, should be approx. 1 /3/4, or 2 1/4 in..

hope it helps .....

I measured the actual brake shoe from tip to tip (overall, not the pad) and the pad width. I think these may be 11x 1.75, in which autozone or napa do not carry.

Here is what I have. It doesn't show the depth very good though.

Attachments

• photo 1-8.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 217
  • photo 2-5.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 197
Stop worrying about the shoes. Figure out what the drum measures on the inside, and the depth of the wear pattern. Just measure it with a little wood ruler or something. You will then know the proper shoe to use. Measuring the shoe seems weird, and you are coming up with wrong numbers that are cofusing those who are trying to help.

You most likely have 9X2, or 10X2.5. Front would be 9X2.5, or 10X2.5 if memory serves me. I suppose you could have 11inch drums but it seems unlikely. Like we all said, measure the drum.

Or an even better option would be to go to the junkyard find a 96 or older JGC take the rear disc setup off and bolt it to your a body rear! While you are taking the disc brake stuff open the rear cover and see if it has a suregrip unit, if so take that as well. If it also has a better gear ratio (say 3.55) take that as well. All of it is a bolt on deal to the A body 8.25 rear. Enjoy.

Got it figured out. Thanks for all the info. I measured the ID of the drum and the wear area. Turns out it has 11" drums. I spoke to Dr. Diff and he gave me the 4 options it could be. Turns out it is the same shoes as a big body mopar, like a monoco. He told me that was rare on a 74 dart, but it was an option. Ordered the shoes and ready to go. Thanks again.

-
Back