Rear Firewall

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Here is the next step at the back of the cockpit.
Addressing the issue of safety:
When I did the minitub I also set it up for a rear firewall composed of two sheets of metal with 3M 'Firestop" insulation between them. After I raise the tranny/ driveshaft tunnel, I will replace all the temp sheet metal screws ( poor mans cliko pins) with pop rivets. All penetrations through the wall will be in bulkhead connectors with intumesent caulking around the wires. I will also be putting sheet metal behind the sail panels to close off those openings as well as making cans for the speaker locations.
Andrew

rear firewall 1.jpg

rear firewall 2.jpg

rear firewall 3.jpg

awesome work your doing to the "blue Missile" thank's for sharing all the kewl mods and pic's

Thanks guys,
RJ it pleases me that you are being safe and we are thinking alike.
If you have a friend or know anyone in the AC trade see if they have some spare 3M 'firesafe' duct wrap. If you are doing a dual skin application putting that inbetween will not only increase the frie resistance but it will deaden the sound.
If not you can PM me and I can send you some for the cost of shipping, I have a full roll.
Andrew

Thanks guys,
RJ it pleases me that you are being safe and we are thinking alike.
If you have a friend or know anyone in the AC trade see if they have some spare 3M 'firesafe' duct wrap. If you are doing a dual skin application putting that inbetween will not only increase the frie resistance but it will deaden the sound.
If not you can PM me and I can send you some for the cost of shipping, I have a full roll.
Andrew

Doing it in 16gauge, one layer. It's gonna have spray ceramic coating in the trunk and dynamat in the interior. Never considered double layering it......hhhmmmm

thanks for the offer.

Forgive me for asking, Andrew, but is the rear firewall for safety from a potential gas tank explosion from being rear-ended?

Fish,
because I will be putting the batteries in the trunk, and I will at least want to take the finished car to the track to time it once, either I build the fire wall or put a cut off switch through the back sheet metal accessable from the outside of the car, Track rules. Because of all the electronic systems planned for the car, giving someone the ability to walk up to the car and turn off the power is not in my plans.

Besides that, I will be putting in a custom fuel cell with an in tank pump accessable from the trunk. There will be fuel lines in the trunk and other electric devices. The potential of explosion, however remote exists. A vehicle the likes of that we are all building should be looked at as three seperate isolated and protected compartments.

In contrast to say a pro-stock funny car which is looked at as one compartment for the sake of weight. They take for granted that fire will sweep the entire vehicle and so they put the driver in extraordinary fire protection gear, as well as an on board fire suppression system.

I also have an electric powered/manually triggered Halon system with three heads planned for the car. I will as well be treating the front fire wall as the real thing, by closing unused holes and passing wires and the such through bulkhead connectors filled with fire caulking. I know this sounds extreme but the safety of the family and or guests riding in the car is at the top of my list.

RJ,
your way will be fine.
I don't know what the weight comparison between 16ga and two sheets of 24ga is. I know that one sheet of 24 is too lite and that's what I had free access to, as well as the 3M insulation. Thank you for setting an example of safety in such a great build.
Andrew

Dont hold me to it....but I believe it's also a requirement at certain tracks/speeds and or road courses. It just makes sense to me to have some protection if your batteries, fuel cell etc.... are back there. I spent $23.50 for a 4'x4' sheet of 16g steel.

I believe it is part of the SSC rules as far as road courses go. That race is really the end goal of my build.
RJ what area of the country are you located in?
Andrew

I believe it is part of the SSC rules as far as road courses go. That race is really the end goal of my build.
RJ what area of the country are you located in?
Andrew

Pacific Northwest, outside of Portland

rear firewall done today.

6-1-09 demon 007.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, Andrew; it makes great sense. You and rj are doing some solid work on your machines.

Pacific Northwest, outside of Portland

rear firewall done today.

rj, nice work on your aft bulkhead. I also noticed your driveshaft tunnel. Is that a completely new and enlarged tunnel or is doubled over the original? Is that done for safety or repair?

I apologize for asking too many questions, but your projects are intriguing.

Rj,
looks good:cheers: dont forget to go to home depot and get some 'intumecent' fire caulking and do the verticle seams and thw top corners. Regular seam sealer won't do. Are you gonna be running speakers, if so you should build "cans" for them as well. The area behind the sail panel visible at the top left of your photo can be handled with a piece of sheet metal that you drill through and mount your sail panels on top of, its a direct vent to the trunk.
Andrew

Rj,
looks good:cheers: dont forget to go to home depot and get some 'intumecent' fire caulking and do the verticle seams and thw top corners. Regular seam sealer won't do. Are you gonna be running speakers, if so you should build "cans" for them as well. The area behind the sail panel visible at the top left of your photo can be handled with a piece of sheet metal that you drill through and mount your sail panels on top of, its a direct vent to the trunk.
Andrew

Good tips, thanks

Rj,
here are the progress photos of the fire break for the sail panel area.
first is before, second is the sheet matel fitted, third is the firecaulking locations and fourth is everything pop-riveted in place.
Andrew

sailpanel 1.jpg

sailpanel 2.jpg

sailpanel 3.jpg

sailpanel 4.jpg

Nice work. I was just out in the barn last night wondering what to do about that area. What is firecaulking? Is that some thing you need to do to be NHRA leagal?

Orange,
as far as I know the sailpanel area is not even addressed by most people or sanctioning bodies. I could be very wrong however. I have never seen fire caulking mentioned in any technical rules.

The sheet metal I used is 24ga and the 'intumescent' fire caulking is something Im doing for a complete system. I build commercial buildings and it is used at all firewall junctures.

Intumescent caulking is not only fire proof but it expands to fill any gaps in the wall or break and keep the fire contained. You can buy it at Home Depot. There are two types of fire caulking a 'Static' version & an 'intumescent' version, read the labels carefully. Use the appropiate type for your application.

I still have to put some sheetmetal patches over the openings for the third stop light and the two openings for the flashing 'cop' lights. where the package tray goes. Then build sheetmetal cans for the speakers to close up those openings.

I will say that I do shurely miss the flow through ventilation before all of this was closed up, its getting hot in Texas.

Then after I figuure out how high the driveshaft tunnel will go I can set up the main firewall with the 'firesafe' insulation and caulk that whole thing in. I will continue to post pics.
Hope this helps
Andrew

Now that I have put in the new drive shaft tunnel raising it 2" I have also finished the rear fire wall and speaker cans.
Pic1 is the tunnel, pic2 is the rear sheet metal permanently installed, pic3 is of a few of the sleeves for wire management, pic4is of the actual insulation installation, pic5 is the final assembly.
Andrew

Driveshaft tunnel.jpg

Rear firewall 4.jpg

rear firewall 5.jpg

rear firewall 6.jpg

Rear firewall 7.jpg

Rear firewall 8 .jpg

Nice work. I was just out in the barn last night wondering what to do about that area. What is firecaulking? Is that some thing you need to do to be NHRA leagal?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure with a fuel cell and relocated battery you have to have a rear firewall of some sort so in case of an accident, nothing enters the drivers compartment. There is also some thing with a battery box and without and blah blah blah... I cant remember the whole thing. But yes, in certain cases it is required... I do know that.

-
Back