Rear gear help?

-

68 wanna b GSS

68 Dart 440
Reaction score
Hello FABO I have a 68 Dart that I found a 8.25 complete axle for.it has a sure grip all set to go supposedly. But the gentleman tells me that the sure grip is very tight. The tires will barley turn by hand. He saying this like its wonderful .That its been assembled so well that it just barely turns. I'm concerned shouldn't the wheels at the outside freely turn with hardly any effort.? Or am I wrong and the idea of it being very snug indicates a job well done.? Any help would be appreciated

Are the brake drums loose? There should not be a ton of drag when rotating when in the air..

Are the brake drums loose? There should not be a ton of drag when rotating when in the air..
The drums are off its just the assembled rear end I'm concerned that its incorrectly shimmed together.. I have the chance to buy this complete rearend . but don't know if I should

Short answer is no. The issue is most likely how the ring/pinion are mated/shimmed. 65'

Without drums or driveshaft connected, you should be able to grab and turn one axle easily with one hand. The other axle should also turn in the same direction as the one you're turning. The pinion flange should also turn. If it takes a lot of effort to do it, clearance somewhere is not what it should be.

Stay away from it. or
take the cover off and look.
The SureGrip has NOTHING to do with turning torque. Something ELSE is causing it to turn hard.
It could be as others have said,
or the rear end could be bent, as in the four reference points not being in alignment. The four points are the two axle-bearing housings, and the two case-bearing saddles.
Or
I suppose somebody couldda filled it with STP, or sawdust,lol.

Are you sure he is not talking about the suregrip being tight, in other words when you turn one wheel one way and try an wholed the other from turning it takes a lot of effort to break the suregrip loose. Could be wrong, but when someone says the suregrip is tight that's what I think.

Are you sure he is not talking about the suregrip being tight, in other words when you turn one wheel one way and try an wholed the other from turning it takes a lot of effort to break the suregrip loose. Could be wrong, but when someone says the suregrip is tight that's what I think.
Well I'm not sure all the gentleman said was it took two men and a boy to turn one hub and it had me kinda scared but after I tried to reach back out to him once again amd didn't get anywhere so he may have just lost interest in the whole venture so.oh well the search go's on but appreciate you getting back with me in the effort to help out much thanks...Dave

Yall are full of ****. A sure grip unit has preload springs. If you can turn one axle independently of the other, something is WRONG with that sure grip unit. They should be pretty tight. The breakaway torque on the 10.5" Sterling unit that was in my 04 F250 Powerstroke was over 800LB FT. I remember, because Ford had to replace it three times, as they were having problems with them. The specs were listed in the TSB. I feel sure breakaway torque for an A body rear is lower, but you get the picture. It never bothered me one bit if I dragged a tire going around a turn. That just means it's in good shape. He's talking about it like it's a good thing because it is. There should be GREAT difficulty turning one tire separately of the other with a sure grip.

That's how I read it right from the rip. If he's talking about that, it IS a good thing.

-
Back