rear main leak

-

I second Newbomb Turk rear main seals have been a problem for all brands, they are too long, you have to make sure when it's seated the ends only stick up .005. if much more then that the seal egg shape and leaks.

You may want to look into the ME Wagner Dual Flow PCV that can be adjusted based on what your engine needs. Would be a lot simpler than going to a vac system.

Hey man - question for you on this. Since a PCV valve really cannot work at WOT (no vacuum at wot), could you also run the header evac system in addition to the tuneable pcv valve? Not sure how the plumbing could work in that scenario. I do drag and drives - so idle, cruise, AND WOT are places where I would like to vent crankcase pressure better.

Well, the ME Wagner has 2 settings. Evac systems say not to use with mufflers, they don't like back pressure?

Is it possible that you need to vent your crank case pressure better? I say that because my stroker is experiencing this, and I have narrowed the issue down to needing to install some type of vac system on the crank case. I have been running vents to a puke tank, and they arent doing enough.

Just a thought.
running a vacuum is the answer to many oil leaks . I have my 2 vacuum ports on my 1200 cfm throttle body hooked up to a valve then to an oil catch devise , and to the pass side valve cover, the valve was an experiment to control how much vacuum I run , got it patially closed /running around 11 inches , and not sucking any oil , but have no leaks !
also run a pan evac set up on the drivers side cover ,it will help at hi exhaust flow / works for my 505'' fish...pic is before I installed it ...

IMG_0474 (1).JPG

Hey man - question for you on this. Since a PCV valve really cannot work at WOT (no vacuum at wot), could you also run the header evac system in addition to the tuneable pcv valve? Not sure how the plumbing could work in that scenario. I do drag and drives - so idle, cruise, AND WOT are places where I would like to vent crankcase pressure better.
Best not to mix and match like that. The Wagner unit will do a great job at keeping vacuum in the engine at all but WOT. Since no one runs WOT all the time, you are really dealing with idle & mid throttle issues with the PCV.

Best not to mix and match like that. The Wagner unit will do a great job at keeping vacuum in the engine at all but WOT. Since no one runs WOT all the time, you are really dealing with idle & mid throttle issues with the PCV.
I'm going to start with the ME Wagner since it is the easiest install, and see what the improvement is. My car runs 10s - so wot is only at 10s intervals!

I'm going to start with the ME Wagner since it is the easiest install, and see what the improvement is. My car runs 10s - so wot is only at 10s intervals!
Be sure to look at the quality of the baffling under your valve cover. I had a set of M/T's that did little to nothing to stop oil being ingested by the PCV. I changed to another company's cast covers and it made a day & night difference. Just a heads up, but your issue sure sounds like the engine is building up pressure and causing your leaks. Hopefully the new PCV will alleviate that for 'ya!

Thanks man - my covers do have baffles under the breathers.
Yeah, mine did too, but they were inadequate! Just a heads up. After you install the PCV and run the car, pull the PCV hose from the carb and look to see if you have any oil in the hose. Before I changed the covers I had quite a bit!

I also have an oil mist separator between my PCV valve and the carburetor.

Yeah, mine did too, but they were inadequate! Just a heads up. After you install the PCV and run the car, pull the PCV hose from the carb and look to see if you have any oil in the hose. Before I changed the covers I had quite a bit!
Shoot - ok. Which covers did you end up going to?

I got the covers from Ansen, but they are currently sold out of the black/finned finish. Think they still have the polished ones though. I would not get any different covers unless you have a baffle/splash problem... or you just want to change the covers.

You can and should be running something other than just a PCV valve.

Bill Jenkins was running both in the early 1970’s.

It’s how I do my engine. ME Wagner PCV valve and pan evacs.

I run mufflers.

You need something for WOT.

I’d make sure to use an air/oil separator between the PCV valve and the carb.

You can and should be running something other than just a PCV valve.

Bill Jenkins was running both in the early 1970’s.

It’s how I do my engine. ME Wagner PCV valve and pan evacs.

I run mufflers.

You need something for WOT.

I’d make sure to use an air/oil separator between the PCV valve and the carb.
Any chance you could napkin sketch how you have the plumbing for running both types of systems? I know how to do them separately, but curious how that plumbing works when combined. Breathers on one side of the engine, pcv on the other? Or are you venting on the valley pan or somewhere else? Do the little valves on the pan evac lines keep them from being open when not at wot? I could also pop a connection point into my fuel pump block off plate if necessary.

Any chance you could napkin sketch how you have the plumbing for running both types of systems? I know how to do them separately, but curious how that plumbing works when combined. Breathers on one side of the engine, pcv on the other? Or are you venting on the valley pan or somewhere else? Do the little valves on the pan evac lines keep them from being open when not at wot? I could also pop a connection point into my fuel pump block off plate if necessary.

It’s pretty simple. I do not hook them together. It’s two separate systems.

So run a PCV valve to one valve cover and then a pan evacuate to each valve cover.

Do not use any breathers. It needs to be a sealed system to work and a breather will just let outside air into the system and you lose your crank case pressure drop.

So it plumbs just like two different systems.

For the separator, the hose from the PCV valve goes to the IN on the separator and the OUT goes to the carb.

It’s pretty simple. I do not hook them together. It’s two separate systems.

So run a PCV valve to one valve cover and then a pan evacuate to each valve cover.

Do not use any breathers. It needs to be a sealed system to work and a breather will just let outside air into the system and you lose your crank case pressure drop.

So it plumbs just like two different systems.

For the separator, the hose from the PCV valve goes to the IN on the separator and the OUT goes to the carb.
OK - the no breather makes sense then. Appreciate the help.

-
Back