Rear Seat removal

-

GTS NOSE CONE

Reaction score
Im having a hard time tryinfg to get the bottom partof the rear seat out onf my 69 Barracuda fastback. Any help to get it out?

It was a real pain to take out of my valiant. There's two anchors it's attached to under the seat. Just gotta push back really hard, then lift up. When you finally do get than out, do yourself a favor and bend the bar on the seat in a little to make it easier next time.

Seems to require the strength of ten men to do it. At least it felt that way to me, but im only 120 pounds so I might have a skewed view of it. Lol

same with my valiant also. big pain in the rear. lotsa cussing and itll come out. good luck.

had a seat in a 74 duster I said F this and cut it out with a sawsall

Does it have ears in the front that hook some tabs, and the back is free to pull up past the bottom of the back rest? Seems like a great way to put a really bad strain on your back as you are already bent over in there. be careful.

How about a block of wood against the passenger seat and a block against the rear seat and put a small hydraulic jack between the wood and pump it and at the same time pull up on the seat end to get lift over the tab. might work?

How about a block of wood against the passenger seat and a block against the rear seat and put a small hydraulic jack between the wood and pump it and at the same time pull up on the seat end to get lift over the tab. might work?

You shouldn't need to do that. If you do you could damage the frame pretty easy since it is pretty light. While I haven't done one on a fastback the rest I have come accross is just a strong shove back and lift at the same time.

Take a flashlight and look under the seat, you should be able to see the wire on the seat in the clip on the floor. That will give you some perspective of what needs to happen.

You need to push down and rearward on the wire and lift up if that makes sense. It should pop right out.

nooooooooooo dont pry with nothin but your kneee you will see the staraps they got it bolted down on the backside of the bottomthink they were 1/2 on a extension and it will come out dont tear it crawl undernieth if you cant find em just to get a look where there at

nooooooooooo dont pry with nothin but your kneee you will see the staraps they got it bolted down on the backside of the bottomthink they were 1/2 on a extension and it will come out dont tear it crawl undernieth if you cant find em just to get a look where there at

Huh?

Ok ill look with a flashlight and this way ill be able to see where shes clips in. Im looking for the build sheet. Its not under the front seats or the glove box where else would it be except the rear seat? unless its under the carpet

Ok ill look with a flashlight and this way ill be able to see where shes clips in. Im looking for the build sheet. Its not under the front seats or the glove box where else would it be except the rear seat? unless its under the carpet

There should be one clip on the left and one on the right of the hump. Once you look at it if you can get a good visual on it, it will make sense.

Did you look on top of the glove box? I have also heard of them being in the headliner. Not all cars ended up with build sheets and some ended up with ones from different cars in one single car.

Yes, push down and toward the rear with one motion and then lift directly upward. If you do not lift upward, the latch will re-engage when you release your hold on the seat. Down, back, and up. If I remember correctly, the rearward motion will need to be about one inch. The seat frame essentially has a loop that engages in a hook on the floor.

well im going outside now to give that seat a try and hopefully find that build sheet. Be back later and thanks for the help.

well it was along day but got alot done. There are two 7/16 bolts that hold the bottom seat in besides the the bottom clips. On the fastback i tilted the back seat forward alittle and saw the bolts. Once i took them out it was cake and also found the top part of the build sheet for my car. The vin and alot of the important info was still there and readable.I also have the original window sticker for the car.

PB180015.jpg

On my late '64/early '65 you need to remove the upper seat back first by removing the 2 pivot bolts on each side. Remove the seat back, then the rear straps and bolts for the lower rear seat will be visible. Remove those and then do the push down and back thing. Should be relatively easy at that point.

-
Back