Rear shock difference

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Rear shock difference, A body, (Drag racing shocks) for an automatic vs 4 speed? I'm looking at some MOPAR drag racing shocks for sale by another member that was posted for an A-body "automatic." Some places list the shock by part number for an automatic and another site, by part number doesn't mention automatic or 4 speed. Bottom line...is there a difference? 1965 Barracuda 4 speed.
Norm

I don't believe I have ever seen separate shock part numbers for auto VS manual. But the original Mopar drag shocks were 2" longer extended length than the stockers to allow the SS springs to work properly. Everybody always said "use the Imperial rear shocks" which was true for a while, but now they've all gone to making them the same length as the A body, at least last I checked. Maybe someone knows something I don't.....which is entirely possible. lol

same here in that i've never seen a break down between AT/MT

MP still sells "extended length" drag shocks, which i'm guessing is specifically for the SS springs. I know competition engineering does a longer shock as well in their offerings.

From the Direct Connection rear suspension bulletin...

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 12.03.51 AM.png

same here in that i've never seen a break down between AT/MT

MP still sells "extended length" drag shocks, which i'm guessing is specifically for the SS springs. I know competition engineering does a longer shock as well in their offerings.
Do tell. You gotta link?

here's the MP shock: Mopar Performance Drag Race Rear Shock Absorber - P4529514

which, news to me, they list as for AT? anyway, they don't list a length just "designed with extended length".

comp engineering units are COEC2735 and list at 24.5" and mention "for use with super stock springs", their other ones COEC2730 don't spec SS springs and list 23.6"

fwiw, when i played around in straight line racing i ran rancho's with SS springs, they were for sure longer. i can't tell you how much longer because it's been 27 years, 4 months and 3 days since my airplane was shot down and i lost all my notes in the ensuing fire.

I tried Mopar stick drag shocks but they were still too soft for my auto combo. The harder a car leaves, the stiffer the shocks should be to control separation & wheel-hop, even with SS springs. I ended up going to Rancho myself. Ranchos use to be 3 or 5 way. Now they are 9-way. I don't have the part # handy here at work but it is important to check the extended & compressed lengths and see if they will be enough to prevent topping or bottoming out.

here's the MP shock: Mopar Performance Drag Race Rear Shock Absorber - P4529514

which, news to me, they list as for AT? anyway, they don't list a length just "designed with extended length".

comp engineering units are COEC2735 and list at 24.5" and mention "for use with super stock springs", their other ones COEC2730 don't spec SS springs and list 23.6"

fwiw, when i played around in straight line racing i ran rancho's with SS springs, they were for sure longer. i can't tell you how much longer because it's been 27 years, 4 months and 3 days since my airplane was shot down and i lost all my notes in the ensuing fire.
Thanks for all of the info.

-
Back