Rear sway bar suggestion

-

Geo4K

Just your average Gearhead.
Reaction score
I've got the stock 7/8 inch front sway bar on my Swinger. Do you have a suggestion for a rear sway bar that would work well for my car - source/size? It's just a nice drive, looking for some improvement over the stock handling.

While we're at this, I'd be happy for any shock recommendations too! I'll be ordering my front end kit/pieces soon, still on the fence on whether to get the PST kit or order from Rock Auto. I printed out a Moog parts list off of BigBlockDart I'll use as reference - as a few members here have done.

Thanks -

George

After much thought and reading, I got the rubber Original Performance Super Front End Kit from PST and ordered their poly sway bar bushings. I think I'll back the ol' girl into the garage and have it closer to the center so we can work down either side with plenty of room. I'll also get the rebuilt KH discs installed at the same time. I guess I should order some shocks for the front too - but that will take some more research, I haven't bought parts like this in a very long time and didn't realize how expensive they can get. Thankfully myself and a very good and skilled friend can do all the labor.

Still looking for rear sway bar suggestions. Damn, I love this old car!

The rear sway bar is supposed to be quite a bit smaller in diameter than the front so finding one to compliment your front one might be tough. I will be using the Hellwig 1 & 1/8 inch (I think it is) hollow sway bar on the front of my Dart wagon and a factory 76 A Body cop rear sway bar on the back. Right off the top of my head I don't know what it's diameter is. - IIRC is was about 5/8 in thick or maybe a little thicker - certainly no more than 7/8s.

Aftermarket rear bars are usually 3/4". That's a little too stout to use with the stock front bar -- it is designed to complement the 1-1/8 aftermarket front bars. Too much rear bar will cause oversteer, which is undesirable. I would say, do your front end work and get new shocks, then evaluate whether you need more roll control. Poly end link bushings will make the front bar seem tighter.

As for shocks, I use KYB. Some people say they are harsh, but I don't think so -- at least not if you already have HD springs. They are a good value at any rate. Stepping up to Koni or Bilstein is a lot more expensive.

If you're planning on keeping the stock front bar, I would try and find a stock rear sway bar as well. As already mentioned, having the rear bar larger than the front isn't a good idea unless for some reason you've set your car up in a way where that works.

While the torsion bars in these cars were greatly undersized from the factory, the rear spring rates were actually pretty close to where they need to be for performance handling. Much closer than the front. A-bodies in particular tend to oversteer with a rear bar, depending on what springs you have out back a rear bar might not even be necessary.

What size torsion bars do you have in the front? Do you know what leaf springs you have in the back? That will go a long way to picking the sway bars you need.

With 1.03 bars,good front shocks,and 295s out back, my S doesnt seem to need a rear bar any more. With tires even up to 275s, it used to always oversteer.Might have something to do with the peppy 360, and a leadfoot though.

Thanks all for the comments. I have the Rallye suspension under the car right now. I am not sure of what size the torsion bar is. Brochures talk about HD t-bars, ball joints and rear springs (6 leaves). The only thing I measured was the ft sway bar. I'll get it all assembled and see how things are.

I try to do as much research before I make a decision on the car - hard to afford doing things twice. Not looking to run the car on the track – just looking for a real fun driver. Some of the pictures I’ve viewed from reviews back in the day show an awful lot of body roll. Years ago I put a rear sway bar on my truck and it made those long sweeping onramp merges to the freeway a lot more fun! So – that got me to thinking….

I appreciate everyone’s time – thanks again.

I think a rear bar will help some, although the 6 leaf rear springs are going to put you pretty close to where you need to be for the rear spring rate.

If you want to really reduce the amount of body roll, you'll need to add larger torsion bars in the front. Even going up to a 1" bar will make a dramatic difference, and shouldn't compromise ride comfort much. That with the stock sway bars will be a decent street set up, especially if you're keeping 14 or 15" rims. If you're upgrading suspension items, grab a set of bilstein shocks too. The Hotchkis Fox shocks are another step up, but not necessary if you keep the torsion bars under 1.03". You could get a set of the PST torsion bars and Bilsteins from PST and get a member discount too. Do that and you should be pretty impressed with the improvement in handling. :D

-
Back