rear transmission shaft

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I am trying to isolate the vibration I am getting above 40 mph. I just replaced the rear transmission seal and noticed it is leaking again today with only 20 miles on it. I am curious how much play the rear shaft on the transmission should have. I did take the drive shaft in to get balanced today and will have it back tomorrow, I am hoping that is the problem, but unsure of that rear shaft play

There shouldn't be much play. You also need to have quite a bit spline engagement. How much distance from the rear u-joint to the differential yoke with the driveshaft pushed all the way into the transmission?

From the transmission seal to the yoke is about 1 3/4" to 2". I have a 904 which I compared to the 727 and they both seem to have the same amount of play in the tail shaft it's not excessive but I can move them. I am worried about the rear seal since I have gone through 2 of them now. I am going to pick up the drive shaft today and find out what condition it's in. I am hoping that is the cause of my vibration

If the shaft and yoke are moving around enough that you can't keep seals in it you need to replace the bushing in the tail shaft.

You didn't answer my question. Push the driveshaft ALL THE WAY into the transmission and tell me how much distance there is between the REAR u-joint and REAR END YOKE.

2" is the distance. What do I need to do to replace the tailshaft bushing?

Take the tailshaft to a machine shop and they will carefully press out the old bushing. The new bushing needs to be frozen before installation and may need the I.D. polished for the correct clearance.

Two inches is an inch and a quarter too much. You need a longer driveshaft.

-
Back