Rear valance dual exhaust mod on a /6 car

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what most people were doing on their /6 cars to mount dual exhaust tips. Do you cutout the rear valance or replace it. Don't want it to look like a bucket of assholes. Once I start, I'm committed. Other side of coin, if I go with turndowns there is limited body work to fill cutout on drivers side for single exhaust exit. AMD has the rear valance with cutouts. Problem is I really want the exhaust tips. Rear of car is not so busy. Think they would look really good but I would be infringing on virgin car.

Just wanted to know what most people were doing on their /6 cars to mount dual exhaust tips. Do you cutout the rear valance or replace it. Don't want it to look like a bucket of assholes. Once I start, I'm committed. Other side of coin, if I go with turndowns there is limited body work to fill cutout on drivers side for single exhaust exit. AMD has the rear valance with cutouts. Problem is I really want the exhaust tips. Rear of car is not so busy. Think they would look really good but I would be infringing on virgin car.
Not sure what year or model you're working on but you do mention a rear valance. If you're worried about infringing on a virgin car leave it alone but it sounds like you would really like to have an appearance of duel exhaust. Are you gonna sell it or are you gonna enjoy it. Don't worry about what others think or would do. Do what you like or wish .
Just my two cents .

We need pictures, or a better description of what you are working on. We can't see it from our house!

You don't have to swap out or mod the stock valance. You can just mount the tips below it.
You are correct. That's just how it mounted. Having issue with accurate exhaust though. The turndowns are not straight and cannot resolve it.

Not sure what year or model you're working on but you do mention a rear valance. If you're worried about infringing on a virgin car leave it alone but it sounds like you would really like to have an appearance of duel exhaust. Are you gonna sell it or are you gonna enjoy it. Don't worry about what others think or would do. Do what you like or wish .
Just my two cents .
Working on 68 Barracuda originally /6 car. As you suggested, went with turndowns so did not infringe on valance. Will enjoy it like that. Thanks for the comment.

We need pictures, or a better description of what you are working on. We can't see it from our house!

20231106_141706.jpg

20231106_141951.jpg

Just incase you want to mod it, i found this info. I have a 68 Notch with a 318 that i may do this to. 340 and up came with dual exhaust.
Diagrams 40-1.jpg

Just incase you want to mod it, i found this info. I have a 68 Notch with a 318 that i may do this to. 340 and up came with dual exhaust.
View attachment 1716164863
Thanks for the pic. This is what I was originally requesting. Wonder if this follows Accurate Exhaust template. I'm too hip on Accurate Exhaust. Bought their system and not impressed. Would not recommend them to anyone.

I went with downturns. Simplest solution although not visually perfect due ot the cutout on one side.
Accurate's '67 tailpipes are shaped to use exhaust hangers behind the rear seat and clear the '67 fuel tank strap.
However IIRC they do not use the original factory 67 tailpipe hanger.

Turndowns are 67 bb only, from the factory, they came with the correct valance that has (barely) halfmoon cutouts, which I believe is reproduced.
I bought the Accurate exhaust years ago, fit like a glove, no cutting or modification needed.

20200229_130601.jpg

I went with downturns. Simplest solution although not visually perfect due ot the cutout on one side.
Accurate's '67 tailpipes are shaped to use exhaust hangers behind the rear seat and clear the '67 fuel tank strap.
However IIRC they do not use the original factory 67 tailpipe hanger.
Have the same issue with cutout on drivers side. Was not impressed with Accurate Exhaust tailpipes nor their rear hangers. Cannot get them positioned correctly. Rear hanger allows pipe to move and clamp is visible from rear of car.

Turndowns are 67 bb only, from the factory, they came with the correct valance that has (barely) halfmoon cutouts, which I believe is reproduced.
I bought the Accurate exhaust years ago, fit like a glove, no cutting or modification needed.

View attachment 1716165244
Your look much better than mine. Cannot get turndowns equally the same and are turning inward. Your hanger is not visible which I like. Accurate had me cut on mine to try to make them fit. Not happy.

1699983823930.jpeg
Make an outline of the indent and trace it over

-
Back