Rebirth of Dustbull-with 408ci, efi, t56, dana 60

-
More with the creepyness...the guy also tried to sell our 383 sbc in the fs section, he asked about some wiring issues he had on 'his' modern hemi powered 68 roadrunner, and held a poll about what style hood he should install on the duster. The funniest was him talking about how a guy in a zr1 was afraid to race him in the duster...it was creepy, and pathetic, but in the end all you can do is laugh

I asked the admis to ban him citing his f/s post(s) they said they did, but i thought normally a profile would say 'banned'...its ok, id rather him have a chance to respond, its more fun that way.

Holy shoot wth. I'm going to google duster now to make sure I dont have an alter ego

haha, what made it creepier at first was that i thought it was (Tampa) Bay Area Racing. But youd be suprised what comes up on google searches, good and bad..

Well the deed is done, the carb is installed, the fuel lines are re-plumbed, and the efi wiring has all been taken out. I was still having spark issues without the efi, but all that I did was replace one connector that felt loose, and we played with the timing (+/- 2 degrees from where it was set). It runs as nicely as when it was in the duster now. I cant be sure as to whether the wire connector was the issue, but im glad that i went back to the carb, i can get the demon back on the road quicker and move on with everything...
The regulator wouldnt get down to acceptable psi levels, so i had to remove the diaphrams spring, its now just a fuel pass-thru, but the gauge now says its at ~7psi...
DSC01842.jpg

Sorry for the poor video quality, its more to hold me over until next weekend haha..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3_CHLwDKc&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Drove the demon a few blocks, needs some tuning and some more brake bleeding. Havent gotten the hydroboost 100% plumbed; i ran into an issue with the reservoir to pump line and pump fitting (hopefully that will be solved this weekend). Other than that i just need to button up the trans tunnel, bolt the fuel cell down, get it registered, and put some miles on it. Ive asked around and have decided on the plate "UNDEAD" -seems fitting
DSC01849_zps0be7d27e.jpg

DSC01851_zps0ceb5512.jpg

Thanks everyone for the wishes and all..like i said im ok, my nose is fractured and i have 5 stitches in it. but as soon as the duster got loaded on the flatbed i went to the hospital and got xrays and checked out ok, had them make note that it was from the car crash..

Ive never been in an accident before and it is all pretty overwhelming. I have National inc insurance, but i would assume the girls state farm will be paying me..if its a legitimate account # she gave the cops (she had no proof on hand). I am very against sueing for every little scratch that someome gets, but if insurance doesnt pull through (or if it turns out she didnt have any insurance) ill be looking more into that.

Ill definatly be keeping the car, not surrendering it over, theres too many custom pieces that id have to remake, too many aftermarket parts to order, theyd never give me what it would cost to remake as far as im concerned. I did keep like 90% of all the reciepts it took to build the car, so i do have that as well. Im sure the engine is in good condition. The transmission housing is good, a bearing or two mightve been taken out with the lateral load it had on it, but otherwise it seemed to shift of, clutch still worked. The radiator, fuel cell are all untouched..I think the hardest part of the swap is going to be switching over my painless wiring, and even that shouldnt be too bad.

Better watch out for State Farm, they like to low ball and buy used parts.

Well this weekend finally was a success, but not without its headaches...
Sat. We tried re-bleeding the brakes, because the pedal had to be pumped to build up pressure before stopping. Turns out the NEW master cylinder had a leak, so we had to get a replacement. The proportioning valve was also making a loud 'screeching' noise when pressure was applied, so we bypassed it for now. The hydroboost works great, the pedal is really light, which takes some getting used to, but im not complaining at all.

On our test drive I decided to get on it a little, which caused the throttle get stuck @50% open. We underestimated the forces in towing the car back with my truck to diagnose the throttle linkage that wouldnt unstick, and ended up bending the front bumper a bit (needed a new rear bumper, why not make it a whole set huh...). The throttle ended up sticking due to a washer being wedged between the throttle linkage and the firewall, it got there when i was installing the new throttle cable..
Today was a much better day, we got everything bolted down and roadworthy; we successfully cruised around for a couple miles. All thats left is to address the brake light switch and 3rd brake light!
DSC01878_zps775b6e12.jpg

DSC01875_zpse652e9f3.jpg

DSC01862_zpsc0f41049.jpg

DSC01859_zps2739e0ca.jpg

DSC01856_zpsb4107b4e.jpg

(We drove to the same spot where we took the first completed pics of the duster)
DSC00367.jpg

Man your car looks great! If I can make one suggestion..... That car would look realllllly good with a chin spoiler.

Thanks! id love to put a chin spoiler on it, there are a few things that ill be going back to change within the next few months, i think that will be on the list too (probably will change whenever i can find a new set of bumpers).

Nothing new, just a pic of our A & B body...Going to wash the demon and drive it as much as i can next weekend, glad to finally say that the project is done until i get the kaiser running and go back to working on installing the efi...
demonroadrunner_zpsaec3463a.jpg

Drive the crap out of it!

Thats what i intend to do! after it passes the test this week ill be daily driving it again @ 300-500 miles/week...Looking to go to Oldtown/Kissimmee at least once, maybe Daytona too unless i hold off on that until the efi is done.

It would be cool to see some stuff on your kaiser rebuild/mod. Right now I am doing work on a 79 Jeep J10 short bed. Putting a 5.2l out of a 94 Grand Cherokee in it. Fuel injection and all.

It would be cool to see some stuff on your kaiser rebuild/mod. Right now I am doing work on a 79 Jeep J10 short bed. Putting a 5.2l out of a 94 Grand Cherokee in it. Fuel injection and all.

Sounds like a cool project! Are you on full size jeeps? Good luck with your swap! I wanted to do a diesel swap into something, i got lucky and found a J2000 with a thriftside bed. Bought it dirt cheap with a clean title, no floors, no bed floor. I got even luckier and found a cummins ram (auto) for $2000 (Dana 60 front, Dana 80 rear, 3:55 gears)...the tranny gave out when i was towing the demon home, i found a 6spd manual for another $1000.

It sounds like a lot, but the plans are:
rebuild the 6spd
bigger injectors, 4k rpm gov spring, run ~35psi boost
H1 12 bolt wheels w/ 37" tires
on board air system
2 tank waste vegitable oil system
Current curb weight is 7000lbs, id like to get it down to ~5500lbs. Im currently getting 20-25mpg (20avg) and would like to get it to consistantly be 25+mpg

A friend and I got a dodge frame shortened to 120" wheelbase, in the coming months well be swapping everything over...
Photo06161150.jpg

DSC01489.jpg

summer2011128.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

Just a small update but hopefully will silence the daily commuters from asking 'what is that thing??'...it'll look more complete once I can find a straight pair of bumpers to paint gloss black as well.
01D9250E-9693-44BF-A393-C8FE6C95AF0C-9649-0000054A796BA044.jpg

4D0C3040-40DF-4D03-8918-488C3C64FFFA-9649-0000054E3D960543.jpg

So far I have over 3,500mi logged in the last six weeks. I lost my 2nd gear synchro and am losing first and maybe 3rd, hopefully I Can make it 5-10,000ml more until I can rebuild and upgrade it to handle 700+ hp. Till then I'll see you guys around
FA9D8B04-95BF-4A05-B9A8-3205A8289A2C-6704-000003DCDD86F068.jpg

Well tonight was not a fun night, kid wasnt paying attention at a light, my Lime-***-Green car or my three brake lights werent enough to grab his attention. Cant wait to get out of this place (before i lose it on the next P.O.S. that runs into me)...
image_1_zps60ca363e.jpg

photo_zps3a51e4e1.jpg

just sheetmetal, the passanger (that side doesnt have a door bar interestingly) got its quarter dented in and pushed into the door. the drivers side appears fine.

Im still running without a 2nd gear syncho and 1st, 3rd arent feeling too healthy. I dont know what i meant in my last post as far as the mileage but i hope to run this until my truck is finished; all the rebuild parts are waiting for it back home just in case. I ordered an Aston Martin mainshaft, which is the same as the viper essentially, to replace my current GM unit that is about to shear the splines off of 5/6th gear. A friend is lending me his spare tailshaft housing so i can get it machined out to accept the new 30 spline output...

Well tonight was not a fun night, kid wasnt paying attention at a light, my Lime-***-Green car or my three brake lights werent enough to grab his attention. Cant wait to get out of this place (before i lose it on the next P.O.S. that runs into me)...
image_1_zps60ca363e.jpg

photo_zps3a51e4e1.jpg

just sheetmetal, the passanger (that side doesnt have a door bar interestingly) got its quarter dented in and pushed into the door. the drivers side appears fine.

Im still running without a 2nd gear syncho and 1st, 3rd arent feeling too healthy. I dont know what i meant in my last post as far as the mileage but i hope to run this until my truck is finished; all the rebuild parts are waiting for it back home just in case. I ordered an Aston Martin mainshaft, which is the same as the viper essentially, to replace my current GM unit that is about to shear the splines off of 5/6th gear. A friend is lending me his spare tailshaft housing so i can get it machined out to accept the new 30 spline output...

Are you shitting me? Seriously? AGAIN?

That is word for word what I said (maybe screamed), followed with some profanity as I got out of the car..it was a high school kid, he was more then apologetic, this part of Tampa is just filled with young kids, blind olp people, and congestion. I stopped before I ran into the car in front of me this time at least.

My truck (permanent daily driver) is going to have some hefty-*** bumpers to mow some bitches down for sure...
DSC01803_zps936b2f56.jpg

My Cummins project is coming to an end soon. Once the truck is on the road I will be parking the demon to try and reinstall the efi, then put it on the lift to rebuild the t56 trans and install a 4-link in place of these weak-*** hotchkis springs. Im currently planning out & measuring for the 4-link...

You do some nice work. Wish I had seen your demon running around town, but I live down in south Tampa don't get out by USF much these days. You have some very cool projects and consider yourself lucky you have a dad who is into all that cool stuff too. I'm sure those times working around your guys toys will make for great memories some day.

Thanks skypower! There are already so many memories that I have w/ my dad. And if it wasn't for him and his hobby (or obsession/sickness) im sure id be stuck in a boring car with next to no mechanical experience.

I got a job in Lakeland, so im now a bit to the east of you. But if you ever want to meet up or need a hand in the garage feel free to pm me (I tentatively plan on going to the turkey run in Daytona with the Kaiser, I want to go to oldtown with the demon some weekend).

DAMN! You just can't win for losing can you?! Note to self. Don't get stuffed in his trunk...

-
Back