rejuvinate vacuum hoses

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
I am hoping one of you know something to spray, rub or apply somehow to the vacuum hoses to make the supple from the brittle state they are in now

Silicone spray, WD-40, Baby oil, most anything might make them look newer. Nothing is going to extend the life of the tubing.Tubing cracks whether dry as a bone or soaked in some chemical. Just nature of the beast.

Yeah. Go to the parts store and cut some new hose off the reel.

I am hoping one of you know something to spray, rub or apply somehow to the vacuum hoses to make the supple from the brittle state they are in now

I am in the process of replacing every hose in the car. It is just at the back of the A/C heater switch has 7 vacuum lines. That form a plug. I am trying not to damage the plug and would like to extend their lives. I do not remember seeing another tubing plug anywhere.
But now to my question that I need info on. Referring to the pictures, I have no idea what the large round black plastic device is. It has two hose nipples. The device next to it, is that the Water Shut Off valve?? If so, I imagine I need to route the heater hose thru there?

I do really appreciate all the help I have been receiving. I am this | | close to getting the A/C to run and that is a necessity here in the Valley of the Sun

Ed

Attachments

• 2013-08-14 13.08.48.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 2013-08-14 13.08.14.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 2013-08-14 13.08.33.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 329
yeah I've used a great product for old hoses such as vacuum and fuel hoses... called replacement, do it before you have an engine fire!

I buy rolls of Neoprene brand tubing from McMaster-Carr. It is good quality, many sizes available. They also have some neat nylon clamps, T's and adapters.

As I said I have purchased all new hoses for her. I have no plans of replacing the 7 position hose plug. The hoses under the dash are still fairly supple but want to help them along

The ball shaped thingy is a vacuum reservoir. Vacuum level falls under acieration. Without the reservoir to compensate, the blend doors would briefly return to the default/ no vacuum/ defrost position.
Yes the inline valve is water control valve.

I have 2 large Chiltons 71 and 72-79 a Haynes and a Motors vacuum and wiring. I have looked in the service manuals shown on the board here
I have yet to find a diagram where it shows the entire vacuum hose configurations for my 71 duster 318. I have found partial diagrams and sections here and there. but nothing complete. Nothing shows the reservoir and water shut off. The only water shut off I have found has 2 lines (in /out) but mine only has one connector.

I'm almost positive the 71 model did have a water valve that required 2 vacuum lines to that servo. One opened the valve, the other closed it.
73 model valve had only 1 vacuum line to its servo. Vacuum caused either open or closed I forget, and internal spring return. The no vacuum applied position would be called out normally open or normally closed.

Ok I figured it out. The vacuum reservoir only uses the bottom nipple the top is dead.
Now the two lines into the engine compartment makes sense

Don't be so damn cheap replace all your hoses with braided. Total cost is under $1000 What the hell is money when it comes to hoses.

Or you can soak them in gas over night push them all on and re-shrink them with a propane torch. Worked for me I never needed another hose for the particular car.

don't be so damn cheap replace all your hoses with braided. Total cost is under $1000 what the hell is money when it comes to hoses.

Or you can soak them in gas over night push them all on and re-shrink them with a propane torch. Worked for me i never needed another hose for the particular car.

wth?

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 226
yeah his sarcasm:sad5: level is maxed out and someone might be just stupid enough to try that. . :wack:
I think the original poster was interested in getting the A/C vacuum lines under the dash fixed so that they last longer .

he said this "As I said I have purchased all new hoses for her. I have no plans of replacing the 7 position hose plug. The hoses under the dash are still fairly supple but want to help them along "

since no one repops that special 7 hose plug. AND not the fuel lines or other stuff that you can easily replace. but if someone does know where/who makes that plug with the attached hoses I'd like to know Also.

yeah his sarcasm:sad5: level is maxed out and someone might be just stupid enough to try that. . :wack:
I think the original poster was interested in getting the A/C vacuum lines under the dash fixed so that they last longer .

he said this "As I said I have purchased all new hoses for her. I have no plans of replacing the 7 position hose plug. The hoses under the dash are still fairly supple but want to help them along "

since no one repops that special 7 hose plug. AND not the fuel lines or other stuff that you can easily replace. but if someone does know where/who makes that plug with the attached hoses I'd like to know Also.

Thanks 66Dvert,
I have been wondering what I did to warrant this level of hostilities.
I ask these questions, only because it has been well over 35 years since I have done my own work on my car. Plus the available documentation available to me does not have the information I need.
I appreciate your civility

Thanks 66Dvert,
I have been wondering what I did to warrant this level of hostilities.
I ask these questions, only because it has been well over 35 years since I have done my own work on my car. Plus the available documentation available to me does not have the information I need.
I appreciate your civility

your welcome, We all ask questions and I've done some really stupid ones and then later realized that I should have never posted the question (duh moment) since I already knew the answer if I had thought about it. but most users her are nice enough to not nail us(me) for it unless it gets silly.
then they just point out what I should have though of and just do the :roll: on me.
I think some of us (me included) older guys just get a little cranky at times and don't read the post as close as they should (again me included, since I've done it once or 20 or 40 times) and are off the med's a little.(some of mine are GOOOOOOOD,but that's when the stupid questions usually get asked:eek:ops:) I try not to type a reply when I'm feeling bad. but...... sometime "you know what" happens and the fingers go to typin on their own. I've had to watch myself even more since I'm up in Michigan now for a couple a weeks more and the weather AIN'T liking me at all. Now I remember why I left this state for MUCH warmer climate. my bones HURT all day up here if it isn't hot enough, but family and friends need "seeing and meetin every once in a while". plus there is the Woodward Dream cruise that might have something to do with the trip :D that and me getting to finish up my friends 69 charger after 4 years of working on it.

AND(sarcasm mode ON) I hope it wasn't a really nice car he burnt up because he forgot that gas and flame don't mix. It must suck getting so old that you forget that :glasses7:

plus I really DO want to know if anyone repops that plug for the A/C

I have 2 large Chiltons 71 and 72-79 a Haynes and a Motors vacuum and wiring. I have looked in the service manuals shown on the board here
I have yet to find a diagram where it shows the entire vacuum hose configurations for my 71 duster 318. I have found partial diagrams and sections here and there. but nothing complete. Nothing shows the reservoir and water shut off. The only water shut off I have found has 2 lines (in /out) but mine only has one connector.

I've encountered the same problem on the under dash vacuum hose routing for the a/c on my 69. I had to find another 69 and match mine to that one. If they make a vac hose diagram for under dash I've never found one. I do have a 72 with a/c that i may be able to help you with the color code hose routing.

I've encountered the same problem on the under dash vacuum hose routing for the a/c on my 69. I had to find another 69 and match mine to that one. If they make a vac hose diagram for under dash I've never found one. I do have a 72 with a/c that i may be able to help you with the color code hose routing.

Actually I did find a couple diagrams showing the hose routing. But they did not reference how it worked once it got into the engine compartment thru the firewall.. I took the Vacuum Reservior (spelling stinks) and the water valve off the car. I adapted the garden hose to simulate the heater hoses and hooked up a vacuum hose and stuck it my mouth for suction. After a few attempts I found the way it worked. the lower pipe is the 'in'. If you do not position it just right, it leaks badly. The reserviour, I sat there blowing and sucking on the hose with it up against my ear, to understand what was happening in there. The lower nipple gets the hose and the upper one is left alone

Nice to see a happy ending to your question - thanks mainly to a couple of great FABO members,

As has been said, just ignore the sarcastic replies - they really aren't representative of FABO members generally.

Mostly really good blokes who are aonly too pleased to help.

-
Back