relay powered voltage regulator ?

-
You can use the resisted type as it's not a huge deal.
Here is a Napa part that will work just fine.
Electrical Relay - Universal - H/D Truck

There is also Dorman Part Number: 88069 at Autozone.

If you end up with a 5 terminal relay just ignore terminal 87A.
Relays with the 87A terminal can be used for normally open or normally closed switching both, so ignoring terminal 87A makes it a normally open circuit until the key is turned.

Are the 30 and 87 terminals interchangeable? I always thought the 30 pin was for fused incoming power.
I like to think you Trailbeast for your help the Relay did the trick on the over charging like you said it's the only way to go.Thanks KB9GIB

Are the 30 and 87 terminals interchangeable? I always thought the 30 pin was for fused incoming power.

Power can go either way as it's just a contact that closes and has no polarity preference.

I like to think you Trailbeast for your help the Relay did the trick on the over charging like you said it's the only way to go.Thanks KB9GIB

No problem, glad to help.

Hoping for some help. I installed a relay today to power the regulator on my son's 70. The amp gauge now has a back and forth movement and when I turn the headlights on they they are pulsating in time with the gauge.

Here's what I did in order to eliminate the flickering lights problem.

Charging system relay modification.jpg

With the car running to at fast idle, make this check first with all loads turned off, and again with lights, heater, whatever you can turn on

Stab one probe of your meter directly onto the VR mounting flange. Make sure to stab through paint, chrome, rust, etc. Stick the remaining probe into the battery NEG post. You are hoping for a very VERY low reading, the lower the better, zero is perfect.

Take the reading, and watch and see if that reading also pulses

This is checking the ground condition between VR and battery

Also work the VR connector in/ out several times to scrub the terminals clean and feel for tightness. Remove and inspect the VR and connector terminals for corrosion, etc.

It could be a flakey VR but that would be rare

-
Back