removal of speedo cable from speedo in 74 Dart

-

swepty

Reaction score
Having trouble with access to back of speedo. Can barely feel the tang holding cable in place but if I ever get thing off, no way I'll ever get it back on. Need to lube cable and tried to remove from trans end but won't come out. Any suggestions?

Might consider dropping the steering column (two nuts on the bottom side of dash and then either 2 or 3 bolts on the firewall where the column goes through) a couple of inches.
It’s tricky getting that plastic tab off without breaking it.

Might consider dropping the steering column (two nuts on the bottom side of dash and then either 2 or 3 bolts on the firewall where the column goes through) a couple of inches.
It’s tricky getting that plastic tab off without breaking it.
Is the cable supposed to be free on both ends? In the past on other vehicles I've been able to remove without disconnecting at the speedo. Could mine just be stuck? The issue that started all this: at about 40 mph, the cable sounds like a mad rattlesnake and the needle jumps around so I have no clue as to speed.

Yup, the cable can be free at both ends but the tricky end to disconnect is the one behind the speedo. The needle bouncing a lot is a sign it’s not set straight in the speedo housing and/or needs to be greased.

How it was done back in the day... Disconnect neg battery cable. On your knees in open door jamb area. Remove screw from fuse box and move it a little. Remove stem and bezel nut from headlight switch and drop it out of the way. Arm goes in through this space created. Pull the cable/sheathe to under the dash. Now you can pull the cable out of the sheathe and lube it on the way back in but,,,
the sheathe does a 90 degree turn under the drivers seat area. Pushing the cable back through that turn can be quite difficult. Its a lot easier if you disconnect the cable at trans end and straighten it out beyond the one strap holding the curve. You can flush the sheathe with parts cleaner and compressed air now that its disconnected too. Reconnecting at speedo isn't so difficult even though you can't see well what you're doing.
Cleaning and lubing was common service, would help back when they were younger and had issues only in cold mornings. 40+ years old probably should be replaced. You'll be wise to pull the inst' panel so you can clean 40+ years of hard grease/crud from the instruments square input port before poking a new cable in there. Of course all this varies with how many miles it has been ran. Your 74 have 42K miles on it or 102K miles on it? Good luck with it.

-
Back