Removed original voltage regulator and now it wont start

-

BeetleDart65

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dart 270 that I'm working on and just recently I installed a new 100 amp altenator with an internal regulator to replace the 60 amp it originally had, during that I followed the wiring diagram for the car to take out some wires I didnt need any more as well as the external regulator now it doesnt even want to turn over, do I need that regulator or is there a work around?

The wire from the regulator goes to the ballast resister then to the coil.

img501.jpg

Adding a 100A alternator isnt going to do your harness a bit of good, youll need to at least upgrade the feed to the battery, probably bypass the amp meter altogether. The alt is only going to give what the harness/system takes and these were typically 35-45A alternators back in 65.

I have a 1965 Dart 270 that I'm working on and just recently I installed a new 100 amp altenator with an internal regulator to replace the 60 amp it originally had, during that I followed the wiring diagram for the car to take out some wires I didnt need any more as well as the external regulator now it doesnt even want to turn over, do I need that regulator or is there a work around?
I don't know what diagram you followed but a basic '65 Dart generally has no extraneous wires, at least for street use.
Also '60 amp' rated alternator is not original but knowing that may or may not be important.
What are you trying to accomplish?

Pishta is correct. Higher output alternator is generally not going to put out any more current than a stock unit - except if the battery has been drained down. IIRC '65 a-bodies have a robust pair of connectors for the main feeds, so that and the ammeter run should not be a problem - again depending on what you're doing.
Not sure why Brian posted a diagram that looks like its for Aussie Valiants. But the concept is pretty similar.

I don't know what diagram you followed but a basic '65 Dart generally has no extraneous wires, at least for street use.
Also '60 amp' rated alternator is not original but knowing that may or may not be important.

Pishta is correct. Higher output alternator is generally not going to put out any more current than a stock unit - except if the battery has been drained down. IIRC '65 a-bodies have a robust pair of connectors for the main feeds, so that and the ammeter run should not be a problem - again depending on what you're doing.
Not sure why Brian posted a diagram that looks like its for Aussie Valiants. But the concept is pretty similar.
I followed the darts wiring diagram so i could see which wires were originally used to hook up the alternator since my new one i have hooked up using the 1-wire system and have it connected to the battery, my long term plan is to upgrade my wiring harness since i plan to add an electric fan and a few other accessories. My issue that one of the alternators wires connectes to the external regulator on the fld side and when i disconnected it still turned over but when i disconnected the dark blue ignition wire it wont turn on, those alternator wires and dark blue ignition wire are the only ones i have taken off/disconnected.

Took out wires you didn’t need anymore? That right there would be where I would start, except to get a wiring diagram for your car. Sounds like you’re trying to run a GM style single wire alternator and eliminate the ballast system. It can be done, but you need to understand how the Mopar ballast system works.

As for the 100a alternator, the early A cars and the wiring in place are used to 28a of alternator current, maxing at 35a. And, all of the power goes directly through the bulkhead and through the ammeter guage. At least do the voltmeter bypass before too long.

Took out wires you didn’t need anymore? That right there would be where I would start, except to get a wiring diagram for your car. Sounds like you’re trying to run a GM style single wire alternator and eliminate the ballast system. It can be done, but you need to understand how the Mopar ballast system works.

As for the 100a alternator, the early A cars and the wiring in place are used to 28a of alternator current, maxing at 35a. And, all of the power goes directly through the bulkhead and through the ammeter guage. At least do the voltmeter bypass before too long.
Not quite. All the power for recharging the battery goes through the ammeter. When the battery is done charging, the ammeter shows zero.

Agree it could be a GM style but I think there are Chrysler types with internal regulators stuffed in them too.
Either way, there's usually no advantage for a car, and the disadvantage of of sensing voltage at the source rather than close to the distribution point.

Electric fans can be a bit of a problem with the stock wiring strategy. If you rarely or never run them with the engine off, then power them directly off the alternator. What will be needed is an alternator that can provide that extra power at idle rpm. If its a street car, that means enough power for ignition, lights, brake lights, and the fans. Otherwise it will draw down the battery every the car is stopped at a light or stuck in traffic. How much will depend on the fan's power needs.

I followed the darts wiring diagram so i could see which wires were originally used to hook up the alternator since my new one i have hooked up using the 1-wire system and have it connected to the battery, my long term plan is to upgrade my wiring harness since i plan to add an electric fan and a few other accessories. My issue that one of the alternators wires connectes to the external regulator on the fld side and when i disconnected it still turned over but when i disconnected the dark blue ignition wire it wont turn on, those alternator wires and dark blue ignition wire are the only ones i have taken off/disconnected.

Field is shorthand for magnetic field. On a '65 there should be one field wire from the regulator to the rotor. The regulator controls the current to the rotor. There is a grounded brush for the field that completes the circuit.

Ignition is the run circuit. The ignition wire(s) supplies power to both the ignition and the alternator's regulator when the key is in run position.

An internally regulated 'one wire' alternator will have an internal junction to draw current from the output. Probably need to put a kill switch on it to shut it down. They're used on tractors and such, as well as by some hot rodders - especially for early cars.

I didn't know if he even had a wiring diagram and this is a 65 Plymouth but should be the same in general. Not sure what he disconnected to wire the new alt, so this might help him figure it out.

I installed a new 100 amp altenator with an internal regulator to replace the 60 amp it originally had
the car will be easy to find, it will be that glowing red ash on the horizon.

All I can add to this is go to mymopar.com and download a parts manual, service manual AND electrical schematics. All good advice above.

I My issue that one of the alternators wires connectes to the external regulator on the fld side and when i disconnected it still turned over but when i disconnected the dark blue ignition wire it wont turn on, those alternator wires and dark blue ignition wire are the only ones i have taken off/disconnected.

The dark blue is "ignition run." It comes from the ignition switch, out into the engine bay through the bulkhead connector, and at some point branches off to feed the ignition ballast resistor and the VR "IGN" terminal. I don't think the older cars feed anything else. Somehow, you have screwed up your ignition wiring doing so.

The ignition resistor should have a brown and blue at one end. The brown is the bypass circuit "IGN2" and is hot in "start." It feeds the coil directly when starting. The other end should have at least one and maybe two dark blue. It is hot in "run."

What EXACTLY did you do with the dark blue VR wire? That is likely your answer

What EXACTLY did you do with the dark blue VR wire? That is likely your answer
I just disconnected it from the regulator since my friend who was helping me with it said since the new alternator is internally regulated i didnt need it, i have still have it but the wire end that went into the connector its self broke off due to old age, so i need to see if i can do something about it then hook up the regulator again and see if it turns over since it did turned over with just the dark blue wire connected to the VR.

You are somehow on the wrong track. The regulator and the single wire going to it has nothing to do with cranking. You may be wiggling the harness and upsetting a poor/ loose splice or something like that. You need to get a light/ meter and make some tests

Is this auto or stick? What exactly does it do/ not do?

Does the starter crank? Cranks but no spark? Does not crank at all?

Does this appear to be factory wiring?

This could be a damaged bulkhead connector, and you moved things just enough to "break" a connection.

-
Back