removing ivr

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
74 duster and going to replace the ivr, does it just pull out of the back and do I have to remove the whole cluster?
Thanks

Yup. pulls out. You might consider pulling the cluster, though. There are a number of things "that happen

On my 67........

Some of the PC board harness pins were broken and loose. You can resolder them

On mine, the spring contacts for the IVR were actually not making contact with the board traces......solder jumpers across

The nuts for the gauge studs become loose. Consider replacing with "real" nuts. Work them loose/ tight several times to scrub the board clean

Consider cleaning up the dash lighting socket terminals, and the sockets. This would not be a bad time to just replace the bulbs.

This thread has some good tips on repair

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234045

On some years, be careful as protruding repairs for the pins, out the rear of the board can short. Protect between the board and dash housing

This is the repair I did to the IVR socket. I just soldered blobs across. The wires replace the connector on mine. My pins were so bad, I abandoned the original connector and used Molex

attachment.php

The rallye dashes (tachometer) still had the dash Vreg inside the fuel gage until ~1973. Shouldn't affect you, but just peer up there and look for a shiny rectangular box on the rear of the dash circuit board.

the 74 limiter plugs in. The additional wire with spade terminal is noise suppression capasitor. It goes in the center female with the limiter. To leave that out can cause a weak or intermittent connection. Having said all that, If you can get under there and get a replacement properly installed, you're not the first to accomplish this.
Some owners will change every light bulb from underneath.
I choose to pull inst' panels for these services. Your standard panel is a lot easier to R&R than the rallye panels mentioned above. In the end, your choice. Have fun

Thanks everyone ,I'm going to pull the dash and check everything out, and do it once (I hope)

-
Back