Repalcement Door Handles

-

340CanadianDart

Reaction score
I recently replaced the door handles on my 67 Dart with reproduction chrome ones. They fit well and installation was easy, however my passenger door handle will not open/release the latch from the outside. I can see that the linkage is not being engaged far enough to release the latch, if I manually push the linkage down with my hand from the inside of the door it will release.
Anybody had similar problems or a solution I could try?
I do not see any adjustment to the linkage that would remedy the problem. It is a real pain, because I have to lean across fro mthe inside to open the door and let the passenger inside.
Thanks for any suggestions/comments

I would take the repro off and put the old one back on just to see if the door will open properly. Also this would help eliminate any errors I might had made putting the repro on. Spray everything with 3M oil to get everything freed up. Make sure the linkage is not bent. Compare the linkage of the old handle to the new.

I did have the same problem with the old/original door handle as well. Linkage does not look bent at all. Should I take the linkage out and inspect closer?

sounds like the rod that runs from the handle linkage down to the latch itself has a slight bend in it. which would cause it not to "throw down" far enough when you engage the door handle button. (there are two seperate rods that run to the latch ....one for interior handle, one for exterior handle) which would explain why it opens from the inside and not the outside. being you had the same problem with the original exterior handle as the new.....and that you can open from the inside fine....I am lead to believe that neither the latch or handle are to blame....but that the rod is!

take it out and look for any bends.....straighten it out a bit to add more length to it and then i bet it works fine.

sounds like the rod that runs from the handle linkage down to the latch itself has a slight bend in it. which would cause it not to "throw down" far enough when you engage the door handle button. (there are two seperate rods that run to the latch ....one for interior handle, one for exterior handle) which would explain why it opens from the inside and not the outside. being you had the same problem with the original exterior handle as the new.....and that you can open from the inside fine....I am lead to believe that neither the latch or handle are to blame....but that the rod is!

take it out and look for any bends.....straighten it out a bit to add more length to it and then i bet it works fine.

Yep great info Dusterdude

You can always remove the mechanism from the old handle and install it on the new one! One phillips head screw and done!

-
Back