Replace light tube in timing light?

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Has anybody replaced the strobe in a modern timing light? I have an Actron 7529 (made by Bosch), inductive timing light with dial-back and tachometer. The light quit working, so it still reads RPM but can't be used for timing. I asked the manufacturer how to get a replacement strobe, and they said the tool is not made to be repaired (glued together) so no parts are available. The replacement is $90. I guess I can keep it as a tach only, and get a new timing light for $29 at Harbor Freight.

Ya, if the case is glued together you will probably destroy it getting it apart. May be a Dremel tool with a small saw blade?

"Ohh ohh ohhh" as tim taylor would say.

We are car guys... There is no part we can not take apart! Now getting it back together... That's another story!

If you can get ut apart ( look for screws under the labels) the strobe might have a part number on it, newark electronics is a good source. And good old ebay and Amazon

Looking for a replacement flash tube, I found a page on toolsource.com where (1) the tube is discontinued and (2) it says don't bother replacing the tube:

Xenon bulbs in timing lights rarely fail. Unless the glass is broken or severely blackened, flash tubes usually do not require replacement. If your light doesn't flash anymore, repair of the internal circuitry may be required.

So maybe I'll just use this one as a tach and get a new one for timing.

Are you sure it's the tube? Those have a high voltage inverter power supply much like a photoflash. So that part of it has to be working. As noted, flash tube rarely fail, especially in typical home timing lights, simply because they are not used that much. Also the trigger circuit. The pickup being subject to dropped pulled, yanked, etc etc, is a much more failure prone area than is the flash tube.

Yeah, I'll assume it's the flash circuitry. The pickup and trigger circuitry is working, at least as far as the tachometer portion because it reads RPM just fine. It just doesn't flash.

My 80s version craftsman had a bad solder joint on the flash tube. Resoldered it and it has been working fine for another 10 years.

-
Back