Replacement of 8.75 axle

-

562bigdaddy

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Its been a long time but I think I'm finally back to working on my cars. I'm a little older and the memory is starting to go. I need some help. I removed my rear axle to replace the wheel studs and then I attempted to put back the axle. The axle seems to go all the way in but I cannot tighten down the flange to the backing plate. I am about 1/4 inch to 1/2 away. If my memory is correct? you just insert the axle in any way and it should work. I do have the green bearings so no adjustment necessary I think? What am I missing? Why isn't the flange flush? Help?

Thanks

Is it a suregrip rear?

If so, there are two sets of splines that the axle end needs to go into. Try turning it with inward pressure and see if it will seat the rest of the way.

My thoughts exactly, The inner and outer pieces shouldn't have gotten out of alignment unless you rotated the driveshaft while the axle was out? , but it's possible.

Yes I believe its a suregrip. I didn't rotate the driveshaft and I lined up the axle the same way I took it out. If I rotate the axle using the other side until both inner and outer pieces line up Ill try to slide it in.

Thank you and Ill let you know if it works

Yes I believe its a suregrip. I didn't rotate the driveshaft and I lined up the axle the same way I took it out. If I rotate the axle using the other side until both inner and outer pieces line up Ill try to slide it in.

Thank you and Ill let you know if it works

BUT, when you tried to re-install it, you may have gotten it into the first spline, and it may have turned just enough to mis-align them.

If its the clutch style SG I got 10 bucks sayen those stupid little buttons fell down in the way not letting him get the axle all the way in!

You were right the splines were misaligned. It took awhile but I got it.
Thanks it always nice to get help from you guys. Now on to the track tomorrow to test and tune !!!!

You were right the splines were misaligned. It took awhile but I got it.
Thanks it always nice to get help from you guys. Now on to the track tomorrow to test and tune !!!!

:cheers:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get them out of whack just enough to make you pull your hair out, lol.

And BTW, thanks for letting us know!

-
Back