replacing front druns with rear

-

ben06049

Reaction score
I have a 74 duster with 9" front drums. Has anyone heard of using rear drums to replace the front

why would you want to that? they are front/rear specific as far as i know, but ive been wrong before

oh, and welcome !

First off this looks like your first post.So Welcome and to answer your question you got me but my first response would be no you cant .But what do i know.

Any time I bother to remove a front drum, I replace it with a disc.

Jus' sayin'.

I have a 74 duster with 9" front drums. Has anyone heard of using rear drums to replace the front

Find yourself a set of front spindles off a '73-'74 Duster or Dart and install disc brakes up front.

They simply won't fit. 9" drums were always bad news anyway, they rarely stopped the car properly and are dangerous IMO.

The rear drums are narrower on most cars, and I think a different shape so wouldn't even fit. I had 9" drums on my 69 Dart and they stopped fine. Easy to skid the tires and that was a manual MC. If you want front disks, a 73+ setup will swap to yours, or Scarebird has a kit w/ new parts to fit 9" drum spindles.

Where drums don't work well is continual braking, like long downhill sections with tight turns where you can't rely on engine braking alone. That hit me twice, both on gravel roads where 1st was too slow and 2nd too fast to not tap the brakes on turns. After ~5 miles downhill, the pedal got soft (fluid boiled). Once in my Dart and once in my 65 Newport and it has massive 11"x3" drums. However, the DOT 3 fluid might have been old (absorbs water). Disk rotors have much better cooling.

-
Back