Retirement

-
All,

Well it's either this Jan 2018 or 2020. I'll be 60 in Dec. Still trying to keep the stash increasing in my 401k while neck deep into my Dart. I already have talked to Advance/O Reilly's as a driver and the local mega car dealer. Or one of the county/state/fed parks as long as I'm outside some. So I too will do a 30 hour week at least that what I say now. But, years of alarms at 5:20am and a 70 mile commute round trip certainly won't be missed.

Marion

I had a little "Cancer problem" when I was 47. Got through that OK,thankfully but in the process lost all my ability to put up with the bullshit in what was actually a very high paying job. Tried a few other things after that but no better as clearly my attitude had changed forever. Planned on pulling the pin at 55 but only lasted to 54 1/2 when we put the house on the market and moved further out of town and pocketed a few bucks. The wife and I are living quite nicely on a combination of reduced pensions and real estate proceeds until the Govt pensions kick in at 60 and 67* (*thanks Federal government idiots).

Anyway, my point is 1) Retirement is totally fabulous, 2) it isnt nearly as expensive to live as one would think when you have all that time to wait for sales, collect rebates or seniors discounts , do less eating out etc. but most importantly at least in my case, the absolute, complete lack of stress of retirement is certainly adding extra years back on to my life. Oh yeah, and then there's the 3 grandchildren that arrived since we retired 19 months ago. UNBELIEVABLE!

NONE of us can say with any certainty at all that we will still be here in 6 months. My message to the world is get out of the ratrace the second you can, especially while you still have the ability to do what you enjoy. It's after 10am, I should probably get out of bed and figure out what I feel like doing today. Maybe I'll vacuum the house. Maybe not.

I had a little "Cancer problem" when I was 47. Got through that OK,thankfully but in the process lost all my ability to put up with the bullshit in what was actually a very high paying job. Tried a few other things after that but no better as clearly my attitude had changed forever. Planned on pulling the pin at 55 but only lasted to 54 1/2 when we put the house on the market and moved further out of town and pocketed a few bucks. The wife and I are living quite nicely on a combination of reduced pensions and real estate proceeds until the Govt pensions kick in at 60 and 67* (*thanks Federal government idiots).

Anyway, my point is 1) Retirement is totally fabulous, 2) it isnt nearly as expensive to live as one would think when you have all that time to wait for sales, collect rebates or seniors discounts , do less eating out etc. but most importantly at least in my case, the absolute, complete lack of stress of retirement is certainly adding extra years back on to my life. Oh yeah, and then there's the 3 grandchildren that arrived since we retired 19 months ago. UNBELIEVABLE!

NONE of us can say with any certainty at all that we will still be here in 6 months. My message to the world is get out of the ratrace the second you can, especially while you still have the ability to do what you enjoy. It's after 10am, I should probably get out of bed and figure out what I feel like doing today. Maybe I'll vacuum the house. Maybe not.
Can truly relate. Wife had two brushes with breast cancer by the time she was 45. Thankfully all is well for now however it most defiantly changes your out look on life. Sold our businesses at 50 at retired to Fl. Saw so many people that worked way to late in life, retired, and 2 years later having health problems or dragging a oxygen bottle around. Young guns out there, save your $$$ now. You will be glad you did later in life. Just my .02

I retired from the military three years ago. At 42. Could have quit working, as I am a simple dude. But currently I am a prostitute for money. I am contracting in Croatia. It's real nice here. Plus, I like toys.

-
Back