Reverse lights

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
I guess this belongs here if not I'll delete. My 69 Dart 340 4 speed reverse lights in the back of the car and on the under dash light don't work. Where do I start?

And while you are under there, turn the key to "run" and make sure 1 of the 2 outer terminals has power. Center terminal is for the neutral start switch

The switch is a screw in two terminal near the speedometer cable near the transmission cross member driver side.
It is two terminal for Four speeds. Jumper the wires not the terminals on the switch. Your lights should work with key on but engine off. If they don’t then you have a wiring issue. Also check your fuses. Older fuse boxes sometimes get corroded and will not send power thru the fuse.
Syleng1

The switch is a screw in two terminal near the speedometer cable near the transmission cross member driver side
I didn't realize they used a different switch.

Thanks for the education!

The switch is a screw in two terminal near the speedometer cable near the transmission cross member driver side.
It is two terminal for Four speeds. Jumper the wires not the terminals on the switch. Your lights should work with key on but engine off. If they don’t then you have a wiring issue. Also check your fuses. Older fuse boxes sometimes get corroded and will not send power thru the fuse.
Syleng1
So if I jump the wires and the lights work could it be a bad switch then?

So if I jump the wires and the lights work could it be a bad switch then?
Yes! That is the easy fix. Harder fix is it does not and electrical diagnostic is involved. I’m kinda of an electrical nerd so I like that stuff but most seem to be wary of electrical. lol!

And how about the light under the dash? Is that controlled by the switch on the trans also?
Of course. I don't remember where it's tapped off, maybe right at the bulkhead. The switched power comes through the bulkhead, interfaces with the instrument harness, and connects to the rear harness over on the left kick panel

I don't remember where it's tapped off, maybe right at the bulkhead. The switched power comes through the bulkhead, interfaces with the instrument harness, and connects to the rear harness over on the left kick panel

There :
Reverse lamp.jpg

-
Back