reworking a fully restored car

-
All right here are some promised pics , first off is the new frame work second is the darn hole keeps getting bigger and third is test fit of the drivers side extension , I'll try to remember to take pics of some more of the stuff I'm cutting out along side a tape measure to show just how much shyte they spooged on this poor car .It got too hot to work out there by 2pm today{25C} so I'll cut out the passenger side and fit in that extension tomorrow morning when it's cool enough to work .

Attachments

• new frame.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 264
  • bigger hole.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 248
  • test fit.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 256
ooops the third one isn't what I thought hmmmmm ok here it is I found it .

I gotta say that white goopy seam sealer is a real pain to remove and they have blocks of it 3/4 of an inch thick in places .

Attachments

• real testfit.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 188
Awesome job Cannucky. Keep it going. Looks great so far. I like the u shaped splice doublers you made to slip inside the framerails to join them together.

Eastwoods sells a coating you can spray inside framrails to protect them. You would do this after everything is welded up. It comes with a special tube to stick inside the rails to get the spray all over the insides. However i presume you prob dont drive your car in the winter, however its a great preventative for rust.

Actually living in Victoria I get to drive year round , we only get a few weeks of cold weather and a few weeks of hot weather , the rest of the year is spring and fall , Honolulu Canada we call it lol .I' m going to source an actual rust converter product to use before coating in 2 part epoxy primer , Por 15 doesn't live up to it's name it seems because that was one of the shortcuts they used and it failed to stop the rot .

Por 15 only works if the prep work is done properly, laying it on over rust is not a cure all. If you put it over bare metal that's been blasted and degreased prior to application it will be there until you decide to remove it.

Agreed at the time this was done they advertised it as a penetrating rust converter but it's clearly just another coating .On a side note locals here prefer to mix it with Rustoleum because on it's own it shatters like porceline but the Rustoleum makes it less brittle .

I prefer to sandblast to clean metal, do my repairs, then apply S55-90 epoxy etch primer.

Theres a product called cor ban used in aerospace. Its in a spray can. Leaves a reddish orange coating. This works well. Another one is made by dinol labs called dinitrol AV100D Its a brush on or spray application. It never dries out and is oily. Perfect for inside framerails or trunk drop offs.

Id recommend these products to be used AFTER all welding is done. Not sure of flammability or noxiousness of the fumes. However because they are used in aircraft fuselages to keep corrosion down, they would need to be somewhat unflammable

thanks for the tips guys , the new rail pieces were sand blasted and then primed with zinc based weld through primer and enamel primer as well . I am going to use a rust converter on the remaining rail inners and then 2 part epoxy prime everything the welder won't burn .Then sealer and undercoating on the outside of everywhere prime and paint the inside . Just need to wait a day or two for these record breaking temps to cool off , I only get an hour or so in the evening where the sun isn't beating right on where I am working .Hopefully the cutting and grinding will be over tomorrow and then the extensions glued/screwed in place thursday for the welder to spot in when he's got time to come over .

You are sure diving in. It will be right when you are done too. Nice work.

I'm not a half asser if I do something it gets done completely and correctly , hopefully after this phase I can switch gears for a while , I need to convince the welder to brak out his jig and redo some spring perches on a spare 8 3/4 housing I have so I can replace the cockeyed unit in it now , thats the final piece of the drivetrain to replace as the next phase . Then it will be back to the inner panel work next winter starting with inner wheel houses and working forward from there .

heres a couple more pics , first the jedi master takes the torch ,second up is a good evenings work and the floor is in , tonight we do the crossmember and the seam on the passenger side extension , after that it will be the Valance in a couple of days followed by some priming , sealing ,undercoating and re-assembly so it will be a roller again while I do some engine work and the final body and paint to the valance .

should have more pics tomorrow just taking a coffee break .

the jedimaster.jpg

almost a floor.jpg

Great work! What a PITA! I'm doing a restoration on a 70 duster - doing as much of it as I can, so it is inspiring to see you doing the same! I'm an engineer by trade, but this is pushing me outside of my comfort zone for sure. I have a couple buddies that own body shops and I know who will be painting it, but I am trying to do the lion's share of it.

It's really too bad there are people out there who will knowingly botch a job that bad and act like nothing ever happened. I truly don't understand how some people cannot have a conscience and not really care that they are shafting someone as bad as this.

Keep the faith - looking good so far! It will well be worth it in the end!

Great work! What a PITA! I'm doing a restoration on a 70 duster - doing as much of it as I can, so it is inspiring to see you doing the same! I'm an engineer by trade, but this is pushing me outside of my comfort zone for sure. I have a couple buddies that own body shops and I know who will be painting it, but I am trying to do the lion's share of it.

It's really too bad there are people out there who will knowingly botch a job that bad and act like nothing ever happened. I truly don't understand how some people cannot have a conscience and not really care that they are shafting someone as bad as this.

Keep the faith - looking good so far! It will well be worth it in the end!

Thanks Pauly , welded in the crossmember and the passenger extension last night so the end is in sight finally hopefully 1 more trip esrly next week and the welding will be done .I don't have a painter lined up but being it' only the valance and half of it is covered by the bumper I am probablt going to maycj a couple of rattle cans and have at it myself lol

heres a couple more pics , first the jedi master takes the torch ,second up is a good evenings work and the floor is in , tonight we do the crossmember and the seam on the passenger side extension , after that it will be the Valance in a couple of days followed by some priming , sealing ,undercoating and re-assembly so it will be a roller again while I do some engine work and the final body and paint to the valance .

should have more pics tomorrow just taking a coffee break .

View attachment 1714920326

Very thoughtful of you to catch my good side . . lol

You know, it's not called slander if it's true.
It's called a rip off and you could very well be the one that puts him under.

The "we'll use our trust to sue" threat is empty, and so will the trust be if they try it since you have proof of the work done.

You know, it's not called slander if it's true.
It's called a rip off and you could very well be the one that puts him under.

The "we'll use our trust to sue" threat is empty, and so will the trust be if they try it since you have proof of the work done.

I am fully aware of Canadian law on this matter , this is why I am creating a photo record of the fraudulent work I was charged for , I may not have a printed receipt but I do have bank records showing a pattern of withdrawing large amounts during the time the work was performed , as for outing him I already called him a Scammer and a Thief openly by name on the Canadian Mopar forum and have tirelessly shown his work and warned everyone who would listen, I have already cost him many times the amount he scammed from me . He isn't going away because some people just think he will treat them different and in the end they end up scratching their head wondering why they didn't listen, sore assed but too proud to stand up and admit he did them too .

Looks great so far.
Thanks I fabbed a replacement support panel for the package area floor today and fingers crossed Monday night all the welding will be done leaving a little body and paint on the valance and some re-assembly . Sure will be nice to get the wheels back under it again .

At least now you know the work was performed correctly. On the upside look at all you have learned. Sorry for the expensive lesson.

Well the good news is it's all welded together including all the support brackets and the trunk lock tower , heck the trunk latches and everything lol . Now the bad news ........I got a butt load of work to do sealing , coating and putting it all back together plus body and paint on the valance , I'm going to be a very busy beaver .

Yaaaaay hurray beer !!!!
Lets share a toast with a favorite brew. I will crack open a Corona to celebrate with you tonight. Whats your fav?

Seriously though. Thats a lot of work, and done in very good time. You should be really proud of this accomplishment, and pop a top for a job well done.

Btw, need pix. Pix are always good.

Yaaaaay hurray beer !!!!
Lets share a toast with a favorite brew. I will crack open a Corona to celebrate with you tonight. Whats your fav?

Seriously though. Thats a lot of work, and done in very good time. You should be really proud of this accomplishment, and pop a top for a job well done.

Btw, need pix. Pix are always good.

Pics will come this afternoon , still a long way to go and a big thsnks to Inertia and his son Chris for all the welding .I too like a frosty Corona on those very rare occaisions that I imbibe .

alright heres the missing pics from the past week ,
1st a coat of epoxy everywhere
2nd ready to weld
3rd the young Padawan surpasses the jedi master
4th the valance is in
5th the homemade support piece
6th the lock tower and bumper brackets are in
7th look the trunk locks properly yippeee.

3 epoxy floor.jpg

5ready to weld 2.jpg

6 padawan.jpg

7 welded.jpg

8 support.jpg

9  locktower&bmpr brkt.jpg

12 locked trunk2.jpg

It was a pleasure to do.

Cannucky had it well thought out and all the pieces of the puzzle were well trimmed to fit, so there wasn't any messing around.

Top notch work and fabrication, great attention to detail.

Certainly a job to be proud of..

Now if we can just find a decent color mixer and painter..

good job.. cheers

Last edited:
-
Back